Trouble uncovered in the NFL?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

Many news agencies are running stories of "Bounties" being paid to players for injuries inflicted on their opponents....

I'm SHOCKED.....:eek: :scream: :censored: :bigfire:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

Many news agencies are running stories of "Bounties" being paid to players for injuries inflicted on their opponents....

I'm SHOCKED.....:eek: :scream: :censored: :bigfire:
I'm shocked they are only _now_ making an issue of it...it's something done, however informally, at all levels of football even without money being involved. Given all the lawsuits by former players over concussion injuries and the NFL's knowledge/lack of action over the issue is likely, at the very least, a subsidiary reason behind the investigation.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All sports do this. Football's got NOTHIN' on hockey for bounties.

Even in baseball they bean guys.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first thought was New Orleans based on the way they pounded on Warner and Favre in the divisional and NFCCG a few years back. Re Favre I don't think I've ever seen so many late and deliberately brutal hits on one individual as in that game, and I've watched the NFL for nearly 50 years. I was right on.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently, the extra 'bonus' money also creates salary-cap issues.
Yah, given it's all under the table $ it violates the cap rules akin to what San Fran was doing in the '90s signing guys real cheap & paying them under the table.

I still haven't seen a study indicating that guys trying to hurt someone were more likely to KO a player and cause injury than those not being paid a bounty. i.e. what evidence is there that this is a safety issue at all? It might be, but I've seen no proof it is. And it's not like a Bounty Free NFL is contact free, well except for those skirt-wearing-there's-only-two-square-inches-you-can-legally-touch-or-it's-a-flag-QB-types of course...

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recommend that the NFL Fine the team, take away the 2012 draft picks and Fine the coaches.

This is not "Sportsmanship, it is Assault, disguised to be football tackles......"