Trouble loading VASL with Mac OS 10.5?

cdeanesmith

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone else had trouble loading VASL 5.7 under the new Mac OS 10.5 Leopard? I tried to load and got a message about an invalid certificate. :OHNO: I haven't tried loading under 10.4 Tiger yet.:nervous: I'm still rearranging my hard drives so I can use Time Machine. Any help is welcome.:joy:

Update: I switched systems to Mac OS 10.4.XX and VASL works perfectly. When I try to use it under OS 10.5.X, it doesn't start up. Will you be releasing a new version for the new version of Leopard?

Last edited:

Jeanfi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi, switched to Leopard 10.5.1 and unable to make Vasl work no matter the way i do it.
Here what i get from error log : (aproximatively and translated from french, can't make a copy paste from error log window)

"Certification authorization failed. Application won't launch"

"java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 1, Size: 1"

[img=http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8961/error1yh6.th.jpg]

Any idea ?

Watson

Resident of Gondwana
Reaction score
I saw your problems with VASL on Leopard and wanted to try it myself. I use Tiger on my powerbook and don’t want to upgrade because of the lag in drivers available for my music applications, but my wife has a new Mac Book that has Leopard on it, so I though I’d give it a try. I transferred all my VASSAL/VASL files to her machine and put them in the same folders they are on the Powerbook, including the vasl5.jnlp file on the desktop.

When I fired it up, it eventually started in VASL 5.6 (it did ask me if I wanted to trust the certificate issued by something called “Thawte Freemail Member”; since that used to happen all the time under earlier versions of VASL, I clicked the trust button.). Once in VASL 5.6 everything was as normal. The only problem was that some of the older scenario files did not transfer. It seems that you have to redownload them. It seems to ask for passwords more than it did in the past, but maybe that has to do with applications being under the computer and not under a user account.

But, I didn’t have luck starting 5.7 from the VASL website. It stops loading after it has downloaded about 1/3 of the application. That used to happen from time to time in the past. When it did, it was with a new version and eventually worked.

I guess the best bet at this point is to run VASL 5.6. The thing about “Certification authorization failed. Application won't launch” that Jeanfi mentioned might mean that Leopard decides for you whether to trust the application. But that is just a guess. I would suggest trying to get 5.6 running and then try to upgrade to 5.7.