Trouble deleting ? Counters

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This problem has occurred on a couple of games I’ve had recently. Set up completed and sent to my opponent. Live play via vassal. I can’t delete my concealment counters. Using VASL 6.6.2 and VASSAL 3.5.8.

any ideas as to what may be causing this?

cheers

Paul

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This problem has occurred on a couple of games I’ve had recently. Set up completed and sent to my opponent. Live play via vassal. I can’t delete my concealment counters. Using VASL 6.6.2 and VASSAL 3.5.8.

any ideas as to what may be causing this?

cheers

Paul
On the stacks where you van't delete the ? Counters. Can you see your units below, or do they show up as ? Counters

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That could be it. If he sets out my OB next to the map, including dummies before sending the file to me. 👍🏻

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
That’s it. That’s why on some order of battle there’s a blank counter with numbers of ? On it 😬😅

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Those counters were probably produced by your opponent. I don’t think you have ability to remove opponents concealment counters?
This is most probably the case. If so, then the given Concealment Counters are "owned" by your opponent even if you use them.

This might even have the following effect: You put a "?" counter "owned" by its creator (i.e. the one who pulled it) on a stack of unconcealed units owned by you. Everything will be concealed. But if you pull off the top concealment counter "owned" by its creator, the units beneath might remain concealed to you because they previously "received" their Concealment status from the Concealment counter not owned by you. The interpretation of the program (under normal cirumstances correctly so) is that you are not elegible to remove your opponents Concealment status. Unless a setting in the Preferences is selected to do otherwise. But this will not help in cases if the VASL setup file is created by a third person and none of both players actually using it are involved.

The problem usually occurs when using pre-made VASL setups in which stacks of Concealment counters are pre-pulled for both opponents by the creator of that file.

The problem can be avoided by using a labelled blank counter specifying the number of Concealment counters each side is elegible for. This will ensure, that the actual Concealment counters will be pulled by their "true" owners while the advantage of saving time by pre-pulling all unconcealed stuff is retained.

This is how I handle it for my setups:

If you do it like that, you'll be fine.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There is no “probably” about it! LOL. This is 100% what is going on.

Both the cause and the solution have been correctly identified. Carry on. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes, it’s me that had caused Paul his concealment issues. I have set up a number of VASL scenarios that are ready ‘to go’ and in the OOB have pulled concealment counters for both sides. In future I’ll go with Von Marwitz suggestion.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Yes, it’s me that had caused Paul his concealment issues. I have set up a number of VASL scenarios that are ready ‘to go’ and in the OOB have pulled concealment counters for both sides. In future I’ll go with Von Marwitz suggestion.
Schoolboy error...

:)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Occasionally we get ? counters that no one can delete. I suspect that is due to a version mismatch though.