Tron comes to Middle Earth

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Whats next, Gandalf vs "Sark" at the gates of Minas Tirith?

Do these new type "monsters" being introduced by Turbine represent anything envisioned by Tolkien? Balrogs were the "top end special" looking monster of Middle Earth and they are LOOKING pretty pathetic now.

I know I'm a pre- movies Tolkien purest (few and far between) but willing to adjust to certain things in the name of game play but really... Am I the only one seeing that Turbine has turned down the slope away from the "real breathing" Tolkien-Middle Earth towards a WoW - whatever it takes land? Seemingly trying to attract the WoW crowd away to LotRO by- being WoW wrapped up in Middle Earth.

If this escalation of monsters keeps up by the time the game gets to Mordor:
Frodo's going to be giggling seeing Shelob all puffed up,
Eowyn is going to ask the Witch-King to park her mount and
the Rohirrm is going to be asking for Mumakil rides.

So much for just the name of Sauron being much of a "scare" and threat to anyone.

And seriously the name "Scourge," couldn't they come up with a more unique name? They are already a major enemy theme in WoW.

Is it this hard for a game about the LotR that was very true at the beginning to stay on the wide path that Tolkien so thoroughly provided?

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
{I posted this elsewhere and yanked to here as it runs with the "Tron" theme and to keep things moving}

Strange as it seems this is a moan that Turbine did TOO MUCH, :crosseye: and not that they under did anything. :hmmm:

Turbine has run wild with"Liberties" in Moria: it's TOO grand everywhere for LotR lore.

The "21st" Hall was the peak of Dwarven architecture in Moria for scale & grandeur. There was a reason Gimil and the rest were stunned when they saw it. (And the Bridge) But just run down any hallway & it's 100' tall & carved to excess. The open caverns etc ok, but the scale of the Waterworks? And let's not mention the goat mounts outside of Moria, (ridden inside I could live with). {I don't think they screwed up the Shire yet.}

Don't get me wrong on graphics, when the designers do something they make it look great!!!!

Boss raids-
Not only can I imagine no boss Raids but I've lived without them all the way to Lothlorien. I guess a Multi-boss raid is just a raid with more bosses? Raids (PvPM) = top end 24/7 players & WoW attraction and not the casual or LotR (fan) player which I firmly believe was the original target audience of LotRO. And yes I agree, Moria seems to be the perfect place for them if they are going to include them anywhere outside Mordor.

I'm willing to fight Orcs, trolls, giants, Dunlendings, (even evil dwarves) Wargs, spiders, Haradrim and Wain's of Easterlings clear to the Black Gate because- that's what was there. (fyi- There were almost NO evil dwarves in M.E. as they were made by Aule to be indomitable to evil: corrupted by greed & bitterness yes, hence the 7 Rings problem)

What I can't imagine now after seeing the "Tronians" is what we'll find south of LL & around Mordor. What is Saurman (Turbine) going to attack Helm's Deep with to impress the WoW players to join this time: surely not the now pathetic looking but elite Uruk-Hai & wargs.

More than anything I want LotRO to be the game it was supposed to be when announced & started- I bought a LT-subscription when I looked out from Weathertop! But each expansion has moved further into "WoW" land & fantastical creatures simply set IN Middle Earth- it's frustrating. If I had wanted to play in a fantasy WoW like setting I would have kept my Wow account!

Moria- The deeper you go the more bizarre it gets. I expected to fight hordes of Orcs & goblins just like originally and not discover I had been shoved through a back door into WoW. (That same can be said for all the alien looking "pets" the LM's have been allowed- poor Radagast isn't sleeping well in Rhosgobel anymore.)

You realize the next 2 classes will be a full blown Magic-User (sorry Gandalf) and a "Cavalier/Rogue" type (Hi Eomer/Gray Mouser) don't you? It's what the WoW'ers have been complaining LotRO doesn't really have. And after all it's THOSE players that Turbine wants to impress & get playing, not you- you're already playing & paid your money.
{Hmmm re-reading that I meant that to be "fantastical monsters" not "fantasy like setting" as they have kept to the ambiance of being in Middle Earth.}

I still love playing this game and highly recommend it, SoA is absolutely fantastic! :thumup: I'm hoping that Turbine just hit it's "sophomore" bump with Moria and moves on judiciously down the LotR path. :halo:

Last edited:

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First of all, I love Tron!!

That statement that you highlighted is actually somewhat unsettling. I do hope that Turbine doesn't try to become a WoW clone.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I would love the ability to use Deadly Discs on something... :D

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey "WE" can MD!!

You just have to use the right Hunter skill- "Merciful Shot."

I've always called this one my "disc" and try and use it often because I love the animation. The whirling "energy trail" and the colorful disc: what Hunter wouldn't want to use it as often as possible? Toss in the Fire/light arrows and every shot is "fun!"

Check these shots of it.
(btw it's not as easy as it looks-)
1. pin the mob down far enough away for a good screen-shot
2. beat it down & see it at 50% morale
3. still have enough "Focus" to activate the Merciful Shot skill 6 pts
4. Hit the MShot button
5. Hit the F12 key (turn off screen info)
6. Hit the prt scrn key.
7. Hope the shot was good! JUST to please MD!

Last edited: