Triple Point Blank Fire and Fire Group

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
It's prep fire, and my German 467 drops concealment and fires its inherent firepower with the Triple Point Blank Fire modifier at same hex American 666 who advanced in last turn and failed to eliminate my 467 in CC. Two questions: 1) an Adjacent German 467 wants to combine their firepower with the TPBF firepower from the 467 in same hex as the American unit. Is this legal? And 2) if legal, does the firegrouping Adjacent German unit attack just the American unit, or everybody (e.g. his fellow 467) in the hex?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
1. yes (if ADJACENT) 2. the unit with the American is not held in Melee because it is concealed, so outside fire will only affect the enemy American in this case; see rule A11.15.

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
A7.4 is also useful here, explaining that the ADJACENT German can shoot into the hex without affecting the friendly therein (since not yet in-Melee). Since the wording of 7.4 is a bit confusing, the following Q&A does a nice job clarifying (using a situation that is similar to this thread's OP):

A7.4:​
Q. The first part of this rule suggests that units can attack a location and that only enemy (and Melee) units will be targeted, implying that friendly units in the location will not be targeted. The latter part of the rule seems to state that a location containing friendly units cannot be purposely attacked unless a rule specifically allows it. If a friendly berserk unit is in the same location as an enemy unit and marked with a CC counter can units friendly to the Berserk unit fire at the location in the Adv Fire phase? If yes does the fire only affect the Enemy unit?​
A. Yes. Yes.​

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Against low morale troops, you would be better off with a 12+3 And 8 +3 rather than a 20+3.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Against low morale troops, you would be better off with a 12+3 And 8 +3 rather than a 20+3.
Are you? I'm not good with statistics, but I'm calculating the chance of a NMC or better at 57.9% in the two attacks against a 72.2% with the one big attack. The poor morale means that they are more likely to break under two NMC than the #MC that a larger attack would generate, but still, the odds of getting the NMC are still better with the one big attack than the two small attacks. But my stats work isn't very good, so I'm likely to be missing something.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Are you? I'm not good with statistics, but I'm calculating the chance of a NMC or better at 57.9% in the two attacks against a 72.2% with the one big attack. The poor morale means that they are more likely to break under two NMC than the #MC that a larger attack would generate, but still, the odds of getting the NMC are still better with the one big attack than the two small attacks. But my stats work isn't very good, so I'm likely to be missing something.
Your calculations are correct, although you are probably ignoring cowering. Cowering will shave a tad off the numbers, but will not make a substantial difference in the relative result.

You might consider making separate attacks if you want to cause casualties (e.g. your opponent has a CVP cap) as the 20+3 will hardly ever cause casualties (only on casualty MC), while the double attack has a fair chance (around 11%) of causing two MCs or better.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Of course it does depend on what your extra guy is going to do but I will almost always do the two attacks so there's the possibility of movement by my second chap.