Trip to Germany...

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My daughter is beginning her graduate program at the University of Koblenz in Landau soon, and I'm going to head over with her to help her get settled in. We plan to do a bit of furniture building (thanks Ikea!), see some sights, etc.

My question - would it be worth it for me to look for RAACO stuff while over there and bring some home with me?

Thanks,
Alan

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hmm... I don't know how easy it is to find Raaco stuff (and, most specially, the various inserts) in German stores. In France, the only brick-and-mortar store I know that regularly has them is the BHV in central Paris - and even there, I'm not sure they'll have the inserts in large quantities.

But I'll let the Germans speak for Germany :)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Don't look for it in stores. It is rarely to be found there and then not the pieces you need.

If you are at Koblenz, then you are in a most beautiful region of Germany. Please, please
use your time to go sightseeing there instead. Time MUCH MUCH better spent on sightseeing than hunting for RAACO. It would be a crime missing some of the sights, really, as you would miss some of the most awesome places Germany has to offer. Some proposals:

- See the Moselle River valley, visit Castle Eltz (Burg Eltz), take a hike from Burg Pyrmont to Burg Eltz, take a trip on a boat on the river
- See the Rhine River valley, Oberwesel, St. Goar, Bacharach, Marksburg
- Visit Trier, of old Roman origin with old roman ruins and a very good museum
- I could go on and on...

- If it has to be guns & tanks, in Koblenz visit the "Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung Koblenz". Lots of WW2 hardware there, Pz. I, II, III, V, StuG, 88s, tons of other stuff from small arms to aircraft

Take the time to google these places to get an idea.

With regard to RAACO:
I did switch to RAACO around Christmas 2016/ January 2017. In the resources section here at GS, I have written a long article on it. This also contains some links where I got my RAACO stuff here in Germany. Data is of January 2017. The place where I ordered it had all the stuff I needed in stock (happens not often if you want everything you need for several Handy Cases) and prices were reasonable (others were a bit cheaper but had only limited stock).
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/the-ultimate-raaco-storage.16/

So my advice is to order the stuff to be delivered to the place where your daughter will live, then you can carry it over (if you want to buy in Germany).

von Marwitz

Last edited:

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
von Marwitz,

Don't worry, I plan on seeing and doing as much non-WWII sight seeing as possible. I was just curious if there was some place close that I could drop in a pick some up, if available.

Thanks very much for the sight seeing suggestions! I'll add these to our list and we will be planning out our time to make the most of it.

Cheers,
Alan

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
von Marwitz,

Don't worry, I plan on seeing and doing as much non-WWII sight seeing as possible. I was just curious if there was some place close that I could drop in a pick some up, if available.

Thanks very much for the sight seeing suggestions! I'll add these to our list and we will be planning out our time to make the most of it.

Cheers,
Alan
Von M is correct. It's a stunning part of the world (my favourite). One of the joys of the Mosel is that you can drive (assuming you're car hiring) from Koblenz to Trier in a couple of hours down one side of the Mosel and back up the other. It's one of THE great European drives I think.

Bear in mind also, given that you are an American, that The Bulge region and Bastogne is only a couple of hours away from you. And, again, if you drive that, via Bitburg, it's another stunning day out. If you do your research you can pretty much trace KGP's drive.

Also, travel by German rail is easy, convenient, and cheap (you can travel anywhere within a 'Lande' for about €20 unless things have changed dramatically since I was there. Last time me and my wife were there we got the train from Koblenz down to Rudesheim down the right hand bank of the Rhine. The train runs alongside the Rhine for long times. We then got a boat back up to Koblenz. One of the most pleasurable days out we've ever had.

Trade Systems (the major UK stockist of Raaco) are in Kingston on Thames. A long way from Trier, unless you were detouring via London at some point.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Ack! A correction on my part. We will be in Landau, not Koblenz.

Alan
I saw the original post and presumed Landau, being part of Uni of Koblenz, would be near Koblenz, but it really isn't is it? Yikes

Wonder what the history of that is? Very strange.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ack! A correction on my part. We will be in Landau, not Koblenz.

Alan
That university apparently has two campi - one in Koblenz, one in Landau. These cities are roughly 110 miles apart - a two hour drive. Uncommon organizational setup - whatever.

I don't know the area around Landau in any detail, so I cannot give as specific advice for sightseeing as for the Rhine/Moselle/Lahn river valleys further up north.

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
That university apparently has two campi - one in Koblenz, one in Landau. These cities are roughly 110 miles apart - a two hour drive. Uncommon organizational setup - whatever.

I don't know the area around Landau in any detail, so I cannot give as specific advice for sightseeing as for the Rhine/Moselle/Lahn river valleys further up north.

von Marwitz
I believe there is a village not far from there called Hassloch which is crying out for you to hold the German tournament there one year....Hassloch 2018 eh ??

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hassloch would translate to Hatehole (though I don't believe that would fit etymologically with regard to the place).

"Hatehole 2018 ASL Tournament - No friendly games..."?

:wtf:

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hassloch would translate to Hatehole (though I don't believe that would fit etymologically with regard to the place).

"Hatehole 2018 ASL Tournament - No friendly games..."?

:wtf:

von Marwitz
The town of Hatehole.

I love it.

Nearly as good as living in Bitche.

Although the best name ever is Twatt on the Orkney Islands

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The town of Hatehole.

I love it.

Nearly as good as living in Bitche.

Although the best name ever is Twatt on the Orkney Islands
That is too funny!

Suggested theme for the 'Hatehole' tourney: all Ost front/PTO scenarios, no quarter always in effect.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The Auto- und Technikmuseum Sinsheim is an hour away from Landau. They have an original Concorde and an orignial Tu-144 on display (you can even go inside). They also have a nice WW2 section with a Sturmtiger.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The Auto- und Technikmuseum Sinsheim is an hour away from Landau. They have an original Concorde and an orignial Tu-144 on display (you can even go inside). They also have a nice WW2 section with a Sturmtiger.
Don't they also have a Space Shuttle? I remember one day when I was in office at work (only 50 feet away from the banks of the Rhine) when suddenly the Space Shuttle floated by...

They have transported it by ship on the Rhine to the museum at Sinsheim - but the ship I could not see at first from my desk - only the space shuttle. In any case, an occurrence so unexpected and absurd, that you won't ever forget it.

Edit:
It was the Russian space shuttle 'Buran'.

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Don't they also have a Space Shuttle? I remember one day when I was in office at work (only 50 feet away from the banks of the Rhine) when suddenly the Space Shuttle floated by...

They have transported it by ship on the Rhine to the museum at Sinsheim - but the ship I could not see at first from my desk - only the space shuttle. In any case, an occurrence so unexpected and absurd, that you won't ever forget it.

Edit:
It was the Russian space shuttle 'Buran'.

von Marwitz
I was playing a game at Heroes in Blackpool a few years back when four Tardis's floated by. Like you they were being transported (back of a lorry) but were at window height as I could see them.