Trip to ancient sites in Greece

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
I just left the ruins of ancient Sparta and the Byzantine hill city of Mistra. Absolutely fascinating. You can see the pictures on my Facebook page.

Right now I’m sitting on the island rock of Monemvasia wondering how the hell they got these large cannons up here. Incredibly gorgeous location on the sea, and I can’t blame them for going to such lengths to defend it.

More to follow.

Dr Zaius

Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
Had to stop for some wine and to catch my breath after hiking to the top of the ruins at Mycenae in the heat. That’s a bit of a climb! Like a dumbass, I also ventured all the way to the bottom of the underground chamber leading to the cistern, which you’re not supposed to do as it’s pitch black and you could fall in. Very cool, but also kind of spooky down there with nothing but the ancient stones and echoes in the dark...

Almost 4,000 years old. One can only imagine what life was like in that forgotten age, 1,600 years before Julius Caesar.

I took some pictures, but they just don’t come close to capturing the feel of the place. The view from the top evokes a scene from a Robert E. Howard book.

Dr Zaius

Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
Finally back in the US as my trip was interrupted by a death in the family. If it could go wrong on the trip back, it went wrong. I thought United was bad, but compared to British Airlines it’s okay. Though I will say the British crews were very nice.

Anyway, I’ve made it to Washington D.C. and will be flying on in the morning. I wish I could get Greek food of that quality back home.

Sparafucil3

Staff member
First name
Jim
Finally back in the US as my trip was interrupted by a death in the family. If it could go wrong on the trip back, it went wrong. I thought United was bad, but compared to British Airlines it’s okay. Though I will say the British crews were very nice.

Anyway, I’ve made it to Washington D.C. and will be flying on in the morning. I wish I could get Greek food of that quality back home.
If you're going through Dulles, you're probably less than 5 miles from me. Had I known, I would take you out for a beer. Have a safe flight home. -- jim

Dr Zaius

Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
If you're going through Dulles, you're probably less than 5 miles from me. Had I known, I would take you out for a beer. Have a safe flight home. -- jim
I am flying out of Dulles. My wife’s nephew lives in Springfield, so we come up here once or twice a year.

I PM you next time I’m coming to D.C.

Not looking forward to this flight, as I’m way too big and grouchy to be flying in economy. Alas...