Tricky VC, For Me Anyway

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
VC reads in part, "...CVP cap......, the French win at game end if there are <3 Good Order American squad-equivalents in building(s) J4 and/or E5."

Does this mean the French win if:
  1. There are less than 3 GO US SE in J4 AND less than 3 GO US SE in E5 at game end? or...
  2. There are less than 3 GO US SE in either J4 OR E5? Only has to be less than 3 in one of them? or...
  3. Other
Thanks for any help. [FT 261]

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would read this VC as "the French must reduce the total number of Good Order American squad equivalents in buildings J4 and E5 to less than three"

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VC reads in part, "...CVP cap......, the French win at game end if there are <3 Good Order American squad-equivalents in building(s) J4 and/or E5."

Does this mean the French win if:
  1. There are less than 3 GO US SE in J4 AND less than 3 GO US SE in E5 at game end? or...
  2. There are less than 3 GO US SE in either J4 OR E5? Only has to be less than 3 in one of them? or...
  3. Other
Thanks for any help. [FT 261]
Took a look at this and at the scenario. I believe #1 is the most accurate interpretation of the VC. Certainly a poor choice for the use of "and/or" in presentation.

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I would read this VC as "the French must reduce the total number of Good Order American squad equivalents in buildings J4 and E5 to less than three"
Total? If there was 1 GO SE in J4 and 2 GO SE in E5, the French would not win?

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Took a look at this and at the scenario. I believe #1 is the most accurate interpretation of the VC. Certainly a poor choice for the use of "and/or" in presentation.
I found it disconcerting as well, but the (s) after building was what really made my head spin in combination with that.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Total? If there was 1 GO SE in J4 and 2 GO SE in E5, the French would not win?
No, my interpretation is that 1 GO squad equivalent in J4 and 2 GO squad equivalents in E5 would be an Ami win.

1+2=3 squad equivalents.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It does seem as if the scenario designer could have been more precise with his intentions for the VC. Just because you understand what you mean doesn't necessarily mean that others will.??

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
That's a very neat way to express the VC.

Whether it genuinely reflects the intention of the designer it is another story.

I would agree the use of "and/or" is confusing in this context.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If the scenario is FT261 The Battle of Algiers, I confirm what MajorDomo said:
Perhaps but the use of " or " really leaves the VC open to multiple interpretations. It would have been helpful for the designer to give examples of the VCs.