Trenches with Wire and Lower-level Locations

Kihmbar

Reaction score
Does a unit moving from a lower-elevation location into a trench with Wire in hex go on top of the wire or underneath the wire?

Here is the situation: A squad is at level 1 in a trench with Wire in the hex and is under the Wire. The squad moves one hex to a ground level location across a crest hexside (never leaving the trench as per B27.6). If that unit returns to its previous position during the APh or a subsequent MPh, does it still need to expend movement to get under the Wire?

B27.6 states (in part, I'm snipping the references to Sangars): "Infantry beneath a Trench...counter may move/rout/advance/Withdraw-from-CC directly to any Accessible, non-crest-status lower-elevation Location without having to first exit to above that trench.... Such a move/rout/advance/CC-Withdrawal in the opposite direction, from a non-Crest-status position to beneath an Accessible higher-elevation trench..., is also allowed if that Infantry unit and trench... are in the same side's OB and/or the unit's side Controls the trench....

B27.54 states (in part, second to last sentence): "Even Wire, walls, or hedges have no effect on movement between connecting trenches...."

My opponent and I reasoned that a trench which allows movement to a lower-elevation location is about the same as "connected" to a trench in that elevation since it would likely pass under walls and hedges (and wire). Is this move similar to connecting trenches and the wire does not effect movement from a lower-elevation to the trench (assuming the unit's side controls the trench)? Or can you move out easier than you can move in?

As a second point to ponder - how would a hillside wall/hedge effect this movement? Do you pay extra movement to go over the wall/hedge without exiting the trench for Defensive Fire purposes?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Does a unit moving from a lower-elevation location into a trench with Wire in hex go on top of the wire or underneath the wire?

Here is the situation: A squad is at level 1 in a trench with Wire in the hex and is under the Wire. The squad moves one hex to a ground level location across a crest hexside (never leaving the trench as per B27.6). If that unit returns to its previous position during the APh or a subsequent MPh, does it still need to expend movement to get under the Wire?

B27.6 states (in part, I'm snipping the references to Sangars): "Infantry beneath a Trench...counter may move/rout/advance/Withdraw-from-CC directly to any Accessible, non-crest-status lower-elevation Location without having to first exit to above that trench.... Such a move/rout/advance/CC-Withdrawal in the opposite direction, from a non-Crest-status position to beneath an Accessible higher-elevation trench..., is also allowed if that Infantry unit and trench... are in the same side's OB and/or the unit's side Controls the trench....

B27.54 states (in part, second to last sentence): "Even Wire, walls, or hedges have no effect on movement between connecting trenches...."

My opponent and I reasoned that a trench which allows movement to a lower-elevation location is about the same as "connected" to a trench in that elevation since it would likely pass under walls and hedges (and wire). Is this move similar to connecting trenches and the wire does not effect movement from a lower-elevation to the trench (assuming the unit's side controls the trench)? Or can you move out easier than you can move in?

As a second point to ponder - how would a hillside wall/hedge effect this movement? Do you pay extra movement to go over the wall/hedge without exiting the trench for Defensive Fire purposes?
As rule B27.6 allows you to directly enter beneath the Trench and rule B26.4 doesn't allow one to enter an entrenchment while above a Wire counter - I would play as if you can enter the Trench as if disregarding the presence of the Wire.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Note the bit about "...is also allowed if that Infantry unit and trench... are in the same side's OB and/or the unit's side Controls the trench". This typically means that the attacker has to climb over the wire to get into the trench, at least until he clears the hex, while the defender can reinforce the trench line without climbing over the wire until he loses control.

JR