Trench MF Cost in Deep Snow

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen:

B27.54 states: "The cost to enter a connecting trench hex is always one MF (unless doubled for a move to higher elevation) regardless of the other terrain in the hex [EXC: SMOKE]. Even Wire, walls, or hedges have no effect on movement between connecting trenches (see also 30.8). "

E3.733 seems to contradict, however. INFANTRY/CAVALRY MOVEMENT: "In Deep [errata included] Snow, Infantry/Cavalry movement penalties (3.723) still apply and, in addition, such units must pay an extra 1/2 MF per hexside [EXC: if entering any woods/building/rubble, or crossing a plowed road hexside]."

I know that "whenever a seeming contradiction appears between rule cases, the higher alpha-numeric rule case always takes precedence, barring mention of a specific exception (e.g., B1 is a higher numbered rule than A1)."

But my opponent is insisting it's ambiguous. So how much does it cost to go, same-level, from under a Trench counter to (under) an ADJACENT Trench counter?

Thanks,

Commie

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
I would say you would apply the penalty for extreme winter: I can visualiase the trenches covered in snow. So, 1.5 MFs

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Gentlemen:

B27.54 states: "The cost to enter a connecting trench hex is always one MF (unless doubled for a move to higher elevation) regardless of the other terrain in the hex [EXC: SMOKE]. Even Wire, walls, or hedges have no effect on movement between connecting trenches (see also 30.8). "

E3.733 seems to contradict, however. INFANTRY/CAVALRY MOVEMENT: "In Deep [errata included] Snow, Infantry/Cavalry movement penalties (3.723) still apply and, in addition, such units must pay an extra 1/2 MF per hexside [EXC: if entering any woods/building/rubble, or crossing a plowed road hexside]."

I know that "whenever a seeming contradiction appears between rule cases, the higher alpha-numeric rule case always takes precedence, barring mention of a specific exception (e.g., B1 is a higher numbered rule than A1)."

But my opponent is insisting it's ambiguous. So how much does it cost to go, same-level, from under a Trench counter to (under) an ADJACENT Trench counter?

Thanks,

Commie
Not ambiguous at all if the remove the sub-clauses of the sentence.

In Deep Snow, Infantry/Cavalry ... must pay an extra 1/2 MF per hexside."