Tree artwork in woods too small?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I just noticed that the tree artwork seems like it might be a bit too small for the scale, especially in Deluxe. In Deluxe a hex is 55mm across, spanning 40m. The little circle shadows that seem to indicate trees are about 2mm across, meaning that the tree it depicts is about 1.45m across. That's a pretty small tree. On regular boards the hex is about 20mm across and the circle shadow is around 1.5mm, making the trees about 3m across. That's still a pretty small tree. In contrast the orchard depictions are about 5mm on a 20mm hex, making them about 10m across. That's about the size I would expect for a tree in a forest. It seems a bit big for a tree in an orchard, but it's a little more plausible. Of course this all depends on the type of tree, but I think the woods hexes depict the trees as too small for most reasonable tree types.

JR

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I suppose another way of looking at it is that you are only seeing the tips/crowns of the trees that poke above the mass of a dense woods/forest. ASL Walls are about 1-2mm across which would make them 2-4m thick! You've likely heard the expression that An Englishman's home is his castle, but that's getting silly.

ASL's standard map scale is 0.8"/40m or 20.32mm/40m or 1/1968.5 ~ 1/2000. A Tiger II counter should have a graphic depiction about 3.7mmx1.8mm and an Universal Carrier 1.8mmx1mm.
DASL's standard map scale is 2.2"/40m or 55.88mm/40m or 1/715.8 ~ 1/700 (a common Japanese model ship scale).

Counter images are not to a common scale, the small vehicles are overinflated compared to the larger ones. And don't get me started on the SMC/MMC images, they would scale out bigger than King Kong!

Even 1/285 Micro Armour is 6.9 and 2.5 times too big for ASL and DASL respectively.

Phew! Now that I have calmed down, I think it's something we have to live with.

Hemaelstrom

Reaction score
Country
llCongo
A lot of trees also seem a little short. Sorry i have no impressive data to support this claim.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
But your soldiers are too large : three to cover 40 meters makes them 13 meters thick.