Tree artwork in woods too small?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I just noticed that the tree artwork seems like it might be a bit too small for the scale, especially in Deluxe. In Deluxe a hex is 55mm across, spanning 40m. The little circle shadows that seem to indicate trees are about 2mm across, meaning that the tree it depicts is about 1.45m across. That's a pretty small tree. On regular boards the hex is about 20mm across and the circle shadow is around 1.5mm, making the trees about 3m across. That's still a pretty small tree. In contrast the orchard depictions are about 5mm on a 20mm hex, making them about 10m across. That's about the size I would expect for a tree in a forest. It seems a bit big for a tree in an orchard, but it's a little more plausible. Of course this all depends on the type of tree, but I think the woods hexes depict the trees as too small for most reasonable tree types.

JR

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I suppose another way of looking at it is that you are only seeing the tips/crowns of the trees that poke above the mass of a dense woods/forest. ASL Walls are about 1-2mm across which would make them 2-4m thick! You've likely heard the expression that An Englishman's home is his castle, but that's getting silly.

ASL's standard map scale is 0.8"/40m or 20.32mm/40m or 1/1968.5 ~ 1/2000. A Tiger II counter should have a graphic depiction about 3.7mmx1.8mm and an Universal Carrier 1.8mmx1mm.
DASL's standard map scale is 2.2"/40m or 55.88mm/40m or 1/715.8 ~ 1/700 (a common Japanese model ship scale).

Counter images are not to a common scale, the small vehicles are overinflated compared to the larger ones. And don't get me started on the SMC/MMC images, they would scale out bigger than King Kong!

Even 1/285 Micro Armour is 6.9 and 2.5 times too big for ASL and DASL respectively.

Phew! Now that I have calmed down, I think it's something we have to live with.

Hemaelstrom

Reaction score
Country
llCongo
A lot of trees also seem a little short. Sorry i have no impressive data to support this claim.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Someone has too much time on their hands and not enough ASL.

Robin Reeve

Aka the Swiss Moron
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
But your soldiers are too large : three to cover 40 meters makes them 13 meters thick.