Travel case for maps

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've seen a fishing pole case others used for holding maps (and other things) but I can't seem to locate it on Amazon. Pleva and Reenstra have one. Does anyone have a link? I need to buy this and get it delivered before I depart on ASLOK on 29-Sep.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Jazz. The available one is more than I wanted to spend but given my procrastination its a seller's market. I'll probably go to Dick's / Walmart today and see what they have in stock.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The one on top normally goes for $125 or so. I got mine at Costco for $90, but that is almost certainly seasonal and this is not the season. Therefore, if the $78 one is the right size, that sounds like a decent deal. I doubt you are going to do much better...

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What I'd like to find is something suited to holding my maps unfolded, not to travel with but just to store. Currently I'm folding them into plastic sheet holders and storing them in big binders, but it's keeping the maps folded and it's not the best idea when playing on full maps - they don't like to stay flat anymore.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
VolgaG68 showed me how to do this before .. I taped two box folders end to end, secured with 5 long metal rulers. Plaster sheet holders on each half of the map this way keeps my maps stored flat.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I'd like to find is something suited to holding my maps unfolded, not to travel with but just to store. Currently I'm folding them into plastic sheet holders and storing them in big binders, but it's keeping the maps folded and it's not the best idea when playing on full maps - they don't like to stay flat anymore.
I agree that it is best to store the maps flat. My case stores the maps unfolded (except for the Fort wide maps)...
Steve

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I agree that it is best to store the maps flat. My case stores the maps unfolded (except for the Fort wide maps)...
Steve
I got a small-medium size folio that had clear page holders that just accept the Fort wide maps unfolded.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have one of Olli's map holders....cool....several years ago someone posted a map holder that was two binders secured together on the spine by a 23 inch by 2.5 inch by .5 inch block of wood....secured on one side by glue and the inside by screws...a slit in the clear plastic cover to insert cardboard that says ASL maps...I made two

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
VolgaG68 showed me how to do this before ..
Two of the largest binders I could find, cedar laths cut to fit, and industrial-strength glue. Under $20 to build, and extremely sturdy. 3 laths on either side, and one on the spine. Open ends of page protectors face each other inside; only need to open one side of the rings to remove maps. Holds all of the MMP set...for now.

Attachments

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Very nice! (I'd prefer to find a scheme that works without any DIY, but I might settle for trying to copy your design)

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two of the largest binders I could find, cedar laths cut to fit, and industrial-strength glue. Under $20 to build, and extremely sturdy. 3 laths on either side, and one on the spine. Open ends of page protectors face each other inside; only need to open one side of the rings to remove maps. Holds all of the MMP set...for now.
I might just copy this. I had seen it before and I am really trying to finalize my whole storage kit. Thanks.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...and industrial-strength glue....
So is this Gorilla Glue, or PL 400 (construction glue) or xxxx can you name a/the brand, just so we get it right as this seems the key element in the design. Or is this some type of glue you accessed from your place of work?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So is this Gorilla Glue, or PL 400 (construction glue) or xxxx can you name a/the brand, just so we get it right as this seems the key element in the design. Or is this some type of glue you accessed from your place of work?
I used duct tape, because all engineers are told that the world's held together by duct tape!

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is the one I decided to go with. It got delivered Friday and I'm very pleased with it. I'm not sure if I'll have to check it or not when I fly. Reviews about this aspect of the case were contradictory. However, it has stiff sides and I think it will hold up if I do have to check it.

Thanks for the link @Jazz

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
As this first one was experimental in design, I used two different types of glue; one for 3 laths, the other for 4. One was a variety of Gorilla Glue, and believe it or not, the other was simply Super Glue. The first key is to cut off the clear, plastic "pocket coating" on the outside so you are down to the actual vinyl(?) binder itself. Then, place the glue directly on the binder and firmly press, then weight, the laths in place. The three laths I did with Super Glue required about 2/3 a tube for each one, but proved just as sturdy and adherent as the ones done with Gorilla Glue. Besides getting a regular workout at home, it has traveled to KC and North TX with no signs of faltering.

EDIT: This design holds the entire MMP map set, with duplicates (!) of all but the Fort boards. I'm planning on making another for TPP maps and will use the exact same method. I've thought of making a tutorial video on the process and materials, but even though I have a fancier phone now, I'm not sure how to make a video yet, let alone post it on YouTube.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
This is the one I decided to go with. It got delivered Friday and I'm very pleased with it. I'm not sure if I'll have to check it or not when I fly. Reviews about this aspect of the case were contradictory. However, it has stiff sides and I think it will hold up if I do have to check it.

Thanks for the link @Jazz
So how many maps fit in it? And what else?

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So how many maps fit in it? And what else?
All of them. Including all 3rd party maps, SK maps, and Fort maps (these must be folded to fit). I think there is room for about 8 more maps. There are 3 external pockets that fit various what not but I won't put anything in them when I fly because those pockets are not as protected. There is also an internal pocket in the lid that can hold flat things--like various charts.

I don't travel with historical maps unless I'm planning to play something on one in advance.

Last edited: