Travel case for maps

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All of them. Including all 3rd party maps, SK maps, and Fort maps (these must be folded to fit). I think there is room for about 8 more maps. There are 3 external pockets that fit various what not but I won't put anything in them when I fly because those pockets are not as protected. There is also an internal pocket in the lid that can hold flat things--like various charts.

I don't travel with historical maps unless I'm planning to play something on one in advance.
I think I bought the exact same case and use the outer pockets but I don't fly. It does fit everything nicely.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the bigger case and it fits the following:
All the SK style maps (around 100) with room for another 20 at least.
Dice tower
Hip thingie
Charts
Informational counters
Three spiral bound rulebooks (Chapters A-G, Chapter H, All the rest)
Miscellaneous stuff: dice, magnifying glass, tweezers, thread, notebook, OBA marbles in a bag

I'm sure there's a few other items and I still have a pocket or two that are empty. From a compactness and portability POV it is great. See me at ASLOK or Albany for the grand tour...
Steve

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the bigger case and it fits the following:
All the SK style maps (around 100) with room for another 20 at least.
Dice tower
Hip thingie
Charts
Informational counters
Three spiral bound rulebooks (Chapters A-G, Chapter H, All the rest)
Miscellaneous stuff: dice, magnifying glass, tweezers, thread, notebook, OBA marbles in a bag

I'm sure there's a few other items and I still have a pocket or two that are empty. From a compactness and portability POV it is great. See me at ASLOK or Albany for the grand tour...
Steve
Do you ever fly to tournaments? If so, do you carry it on?

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you ever fly to tournaments? If so, do you carry it on?
No, I don't fly, but with a little interior strategic padding, the contents would be fine. I would be a little worried about the exterior. Over time checked bags get beat up. Thankfully, I am within driving distance...
Steve

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, I don't fly, but with a little interior strategic padding, the contents would be fine. I would be a little worried about the exterior. Over time checked bags get beat up. Thankfully, I am within driving distance...
Steve
Everything is padded. I'm hoping they will let me carry on but the length exceeds the allowance

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I bought one of those fisherman type case and it does well as long as I keep the maps in the MMP original shipping box (prevents dog ears, etc.). The trick is to find a replacement for the shipping box which was probably custom ordered by MMP. I wonder if they would sell a spare box at Winter Offensive.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought one of those fisherman type case and it does well as long as I keep the maps in the MMP original shipping box (prevents dog ears, etc.). The trick is to find a replacement for the shipping box which was probably custom ordered by MMP. I wonder if they would sell a spare box at Winter Offensive.
Agree here. I cut down the original box and use it as an insert. It isn't that hard to make a box using a utility knife and tape...
Steve

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ray

The perfect replacement for the MMP box is a banker's box from Staples or office depot. Get the one sized for checks. Perfect size for the maps with a lid that closes with tabs. I will post a pic and link later. On my phone at the moment.

Mike

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Great, Mike! I think I checked with every box dealer in my area and no one had the size that the MMP box is. I did not think of checks (who uses them these days :)). I also searched the plastic style storage boxes and came up empty.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Great, Mike! I think I checked with every box dealer in my area and no one had the size that the MMP box is. I did not think of checks (who uses them these days :)). I also searched the plastic style storage boxes and came up empty.
Are you trying to store them folded or unfolded?

JR

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I see what you are getting at. Obviously not folded so if the check boxes are not long, no go.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Personally if I wanted a cardboard box I would go to my nearest recycling bin and root around until I found a big box (boxes for big screen TVs would be suitable), then cut it down to size with flaps at the corners and glue it all together, perhaps reinforcing it with some packing tape. But although I own a set I don't use my starter kit boards for 1-52. I have a set of the paper sheets laminated, and I haul them around in a gym duffel bag. The rest of the sk-style boards come folded, so I keep them in in page protectors in zip-up three-hole binders.

JR

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Personally if I wanted a cardboard box I would go to my nearest recycling bin and root around until I found a big box (boxes for big screen TVs would be suitable), then cut it down to size with flaps at the corners and glue it all together, perhaps reinforcing it with some packing tape. But although I own a set I don't use my starter kit boards for 1-52. I have a set of the paper sheets laminated, and I haul them around in a gym duffel bag. The rest of the sk-style boards come folded, so I keep them in in page protectors in zip-up three-hole binders.

JR
Stop being so... so... practical! This is ASL we're talking about. Obsessions within obsessions are the hallmark of this hobby!

:rolleyes:

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the link with a picture. About 9 bucks each. They will hold standard maps laid flat. not folded. I have every MMP map plus all the BFP maps in one box. I use a second one for duplicates. The stores usually don't carry them but the will ship to store or right to your door. I think the maps are about 23 x 8 and the box is 24 x 9 and is 4 inches high. Perfect size. They will not hold the Fort maps unfolded but hold them just fine folded which is they way they come.

Mike

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/885988/Bankers-Box-StorFile-CheckDeposit-Slip-Storage/