Translated ASLRB

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
What efforts have been made on translations of the ASLRB? I googled and really couldn't find much. I seem some player aids in other languages but not much past that.

I understand there is no official eASLRB so any translation would also be un-official. If I were MMP I would never expend any effort on such a losing proposition. I can't imagine any auto-translation would work very well.

My friends from Spain don't speak good English and ASL is completely not accessible. Heck, even most native English speakers can't jump through the ASLRB hurdles. My wife is an ESOL professor so the topic is interesting.

I'm an IT guy and have written multi-lingual database-driven applications. There is a vision of a framework high-level eRules type community supported wiki with links for multiple languages UNICODE.

Neal

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The main problem is the massive use of acronyms based on English expressions.
If a Spanish, French, etc. ASL community wants to remain in touch with the rest if the world, English is essential.
If one had a translation, there would be a double effort of learning the game in both languages.
That said, there has been at least one attempt to translate the ASLRB in French. But people hardly use it.
The SK1 and 2 rules have been translated, and that makes much more sense, as the rules are shorter than the full ASL tome.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The main problem is the massive use of acronyms based on English expressions.
If a Spanish, French, etc. ASL community wants to remain in touch with the rest if the world, English is essential.
If one had a translation, there would be a double effort of learning the game in both languages.
That said, there has been at least one attempt to translate the ASLRB in French. But people hardly use it.
The SK1 and 2 rules have been translated, and that makes much more sense, as the rules are shorter than the full ASL tome.
Good point about the acronyms. Seems like a translation would be a massive effort.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
yes, i figured SK would make more sense for translation. much better structured and of course less dense.

Robin, when you say "acronyms" are you meaning things like IFT, THDR, etc?
I would see a translated version having those "standard" english acronyms embedded as reference within the translation.
The translated ASLRB would be for overall comprehension and rules lookup.
For international play some rudimentary English would still be needed and those acronyms would be mandatory.
For local play the language specific acronyms could be coined but...............not sure that would be a wise effort.

I find that international players are hesitant to do a rule lookup because of course the exercise is much more difficult for them spur of the moment. It takes a LOT of unpacking some of those rules in another language to figure out what it means. A translated ASLRB would help.

The other problem is always things like STREAM, RIVULET, DITCH, etc. Sometimes the other language will have less or more of those various flavors causing issues.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
What efforts have been made on translations of the ASLRB? I googled and really couldn't find much. I seem some player aids in other languages but not much past that.

I understand there is no official eASLRB so any translation would also be un-official. If I were MMP I would never expend any effort on such a losing proposition. I can't imagine any auto-translation would work very well.

My friends from Spain don't speak good English and ASL is completely not accessible. Heck, even most native English speakers can't jump through the ASLRB hurdles. My wife is an ESOL professor so the topic is interesting.

I'm an IT guy and have written multi-lingual database-driven applications. There is a vision of a framework high-level eRules type community supported wiki with links for multiple languages UNICODE.

Neal
Frankly I am amazed that ASL is even attempted by anyone who has English as a second language. The fluency of our foreign friends who post here embarrass's me at my lack of even a rudimentary command of a foreign language.

Guten tag and Panzerfaust will not impress most frauleins.

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Started playing Squad Leader at age 14 the same year (skipped school at age of 12 - infested with commie gulagwankers) I started to work , my 3 year older big brother could read English (me-not-much) was the rule guy, When ASL came out I purchased it and my brother tried it a couple of times but lost intrest in ASL and we contiuned to play SL until I lost intrest.

Beside a translation book, I had to purchase a fat English Dictonary that explained each word in English in lengthy simple terms with plenty of examples of its use, and my Mother helped me out in the beginning when asked. After 3 years of studies I have learned both to play ASL and my ASL-English was suffiecent enough to bring in others to play the game.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Started playing Squad Leader at age 14 the same year (skipped school at age of 12 - infested with commie gulagwankers) I started to work , my 3 year older big brother could read English (me-not-much) was the rule guy, When ASL came out I purchased it and my brother tried it a couple of times but lost intrest in ASL and we contiuned to play SL until I lost intrest.

Beside a translation book, I had to purchase a fat English Dictonary that explained each word in English in lengthy simple terms with plenty of examples of its use, and my Mother helped me out in the beginning when asked. After 3 years of studies I have learned both to play ASL and my ASL-English was suffiecent enough to bring in others to play the game.
You have my utmost admiration for your accomplishments. Well done!

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States

Amazing. I am truly amazed that you and others have enough interest in the game to make such an effort to read those rules. True dedication. 99.9% of people are not able to do this.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Amazing. I am truly amazed that you and others have enough interest in the game to make such an effort to read those rules. True dedication. 99.9% of people are not able to do this.
I would go so far as to say 99.9% of native English speakers would take one look at the ASLRB and reach for their video game controller.

If the ASLRB could only be translated into a couple different languages what would they be and how do you think that would be determined?

Btw have I ever mentioned how awkward it is to post with a cat butt in your face??

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
agreed. Just one look at ASLRB and 99.9% are quitting.

Based on table below my take.............

Spanish first choice. highest potential to get new ASL recruits. Easiest translation.

#2 and #3 Chinese and Japanese. Masses of educated affluent people with potential. Much harder translations here.

I'm not sure Hindi,Bengali,Portuguese,Russian have potential for enough recruits. Maybe Hindi. Maybe Russian.

Notice French and German are way down on the list. However........any eASLRB project probably should include those because of the potential to pull in masses of existing gamers. Also since they are second languages for eastern europe and parts of africa it makes sense.

Languages with at least 10 million first-language speakers[7]
RankLanguageSpeakers
(millions)
% of World pop.
(March 2019)[8]
Language familyBranch

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
agreed. Just one look at ASLRB and 99.9% are quitting.

Based on table below my take.............

Spanish first choice. highest potential to get new ASL recruits. Easiest translation.

#2 and #3 Chinese and Japanese. Masses of educated affluent people with potential. Much harder translations here.

I'm not sure Hindi,Bengali,Portuguese,Russian have potential for enough recruits. Maybe Hindi. Maybe Russian.

Notice French and German are way down on the list. However........any eASLRB project probably should include those because of the potential to pull in masses of existing gamers. Also since they are second languages for eastern europe and parts of africa it makes sense.

Could you explain the numbers on your chart? Thanks!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In my two futile attempts at learning a different language I tried German and French. German cause I thought it would be cool to understand the dialogue in war movies. French because I liked how it sounded in the song Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads. Silly and short sighted. Should have tried Spanish as it is the primary language of our neighbors to the south.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
In my two futile attempts at learning a different language I tried German and French. German cause I thought it would be cool to understand the dialogue in war movies. French because I liked how it sounded in the song Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads. Silly and short sighted. Should have tried Spanish as it is the primary language of our neighbors to the south.
My college advisor wouldn't let me take Spanish. I had to take German because it was more "sciencey". I insisted and he insisted. Of course he won and he was wrong about which language would help me the most.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
The big selling point for ASL is the community, and the existing community speaks English. Who should a potential Chinese player contact if he has a rule question?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The big selling point for ASL is the community, and the existing community speaks English. Who should a potential Chinese player contact if he has a rule question?
Sun Tzu?

Lol, sorry. Sometimes hard to suppress the jick in me.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Excellent point. Maybe English is the way it should stay. Even if a Chinese sub-community existed I can imagine at some point members would want to graduate to the bigger native English community.

However.......Maybe a ASLRB in Chinese would be primary school ASL for a billion people. It certainly makes entry more accessible. The double whammy of hugely complicated game with hugely complicated language makes it nearly impossible for most Chinese.