Trail break through a mined building hex.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can a vehicle use an existing trail break through a building hex that contains mines to bypass the building without being attacked by the mines?

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think you can place a trail break in bypass

FrankH.

Reaction score
Can a vehicle use an existing trail break through a building hex that contains mines to bypass the building without being attacked by the mines?
You can't do it using bypass. But I think you can do it by risking a bog and risking falling into a cellar, by entering the building obstacle itself.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B28.44 says units are attacked by mines in building hexes unless they enter/leave through a building hexside, and don't use bypass. So any unit would be attacked if it entered a building hex across a non-building hexside.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B28.44 says units are attacked by mines in building hexes unless they enter/leave through a building hexside, and don't use bypass. So any unit would be attacked if it entered a building hex across a non-building hexside.
Agreed. My thought was what if there were an existing trail break in the building hex. Would that have allowed VBM without mine attack? Consensus is no.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think a TB allows a unit to avoid a minefield by using bypass because the unit is not following the TB. But if a fully-tracked AFV entered the building (or if Infantry cleared a TB via B24.74), then there would be a TB in the building hex (!) which I think would allow a unit to follow the TB into the building without a minefield attack.

I'd never thought of a TB in a building hex before!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
WTF is a trailbreak in a building? Front and back door open??
With bread crumbs between the 2?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What I mean is that is creates a partial trail break to enter the building and another partial trail break to exit it. It will be subject to minefield attack on either end.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, Partial TBs are removed once the vehicle exits the hex. There is simply no rule that would allow such a situation. To resolve the logic behind this one has to reconcile a reality check with game mechanics. In reality one would seldom if ever surround a building with a minefield and if such a situation did exist, how would troops know that that situation existed, not being able to see the tracks on the other side of the building. However, that is exactly the situation we are presented with in ASL brought about by the mechanics of the game and the use of hexes to denote Locations. In other words we are constrained to either have the full TB to exist throughout the hex (denoting hexsides impacted) or not to have the TB exist at all. It is simply a game mechanic with a nod towards reality.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B13.421 & D2.2
May a fully-tracked AFV, which has entered woods/jungle/bamboo and not Bogged and thus created a partial TB, use Reverse
Movement to exit along the direction of the TB it created? If the answer is, Yes - is the partial TB removed or retained? What if
into a Minefield?
A. Yes. Removed. The same.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
So a partial TB is removed if the vehicle that creates it is destroyed, rendered immobile or reverses off the TB.

Is there anything to stop a vehicle turning in place and driving (forwards) out of the minefield/woods along the partial TB?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So a partial TB is removed if the vehicle that creates it is destroyed, rendered immobile or reverses off the TB.

Is there anything to stop a vehicle turning in place and driving (forwards) out of the minefield/woods along the partial TB?
I think the method of getting out does not matter. You need to exit vis another hexside to create a trail break.