TPBF vs Bayonet Charge

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This came up during yesterday's playing of First Bayonet Charge from the Korea module.

I conducted a bayonet charge consisting of a 5-5-7 squad and a 9-1 leader, across an open ground hex and into another open ground hex containing a 4-4-7 squad with a LMG. My intention was to enter the enemy hex during that movement phase. After the Koreans finished their defensive first fire, up to and including TPBF, my squad was broken and the leader was wounded.

My/our question is: after the break/wound results, where are the bayonet charge units considered to be? Are they inside the North Korean 's hex locked in Close Combat or are they considered to be in the last previous hex entered? My quandary was that I was unsure of what actions I could take during the upcoming Rtph. We tried looking for an example within the ASLRB, however we were unsuccessful.

That's what I love about ASL...no matter how long I've been playing, I still find myself stumped by rules which I've forgotten.
Thanks for reading!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Just as with all other Human Wave/Banzai charges, a unit that breaks remains in the hex that it entered in the last impulse it moved in. If the defenders were using TPBF, that would mean on the last impulse the human wave entered the defender's hex and broke there, and there they would remain until the RtPh unless eliminated sooner.

JR

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just as with all other Human Wave/Banzai charges, a unit that breaks remains in the hex that it entered in the last impulse it moved in. If the defenders were using TPBF, that would mean on the last impulse the human wave entered the defender's hex and broke there, and there they would remain until the RtPh unless eliminated sooner.

JR
Thanks, that is what I suspected, however we could not find anything in the rules spelling it out. Since my broken units were in an open ground hex surrounded by open ground hexes, they were eliminated for failure to rout during the following Rtph.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Since my broken units were in an open ground hex surrounded by open ground hexes, they were eliminated for failure to rout during the following Rtph.
Not 100% sure about this. The broken units should attempt to surrender unless No Quarter is in effect or they can't be interdicted (e.g. defender is CX). If No Quarter is in effect or they wouldn't be interdiction, they should rout out of the hex, taking interdiction if that applies, unless they can't rout because of enemy units outside the hex (or, very rarely, terrain, e.g. cliffs). Only if they No Quarter is in effect and they can't rout due to enemy units outside the hex would they be eliminated for failure to rout.

JR