TPBF, PBF, & HTs

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
Do I interpret the A7.212 example correctly?

PRC in a BU HT can be attacked with TPBF by a squad in level 1 or higher of a building (I assume the HT is bypassing level zero of the hex), and the HT and PRC can attack back only with PBF (I assume only if the target is at level one).

If so, where is this supported in the rules other than in the text of this example?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But also see A7.211.

7.211 TPBF vs PRC: Any PRC not BU in a CT AFV which are in an enemy-occupied hex are subject to TPBF attacks from enemy units in that Location or any higher Location in that hex, regardless of whether or not the PRC disembark (see also D6.5). Halftrack Passengers and OT AFV crews are subject to such an attack even if not CE, but receive the +2 CE DRM (D5.31)

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Do I interpret the A7.212 example correctly?

PRC in a BU HT can be attacked with TPBF by a squad in level 1 or higher of a building (I assume the HT is bypassing level zero of the hex), and the HT and PRC can attack back only with PBF (I assume only if the target is at level one).

If so, where is this supported in the rules other than in the text of this example?
I assume that you are asking why the PRC do not get TPBF too. This is because TPBF is typically only versus units in the same Location. TPBF vs PRC in the same hex from a higher level is an exception that is cited under A7.21:

A7.21 ...On those rare instances when fire attacks are allowed vs units in the same Location as the attacker or vs PRC in the same hex (7.211), the FP of the attacking unit is tripled (hereafter referred to as TPBF).​
So the upper-level units get TPBF vs the PRC because of A7.211. The PRC do not, because they are not in the same Location as the upper-level units.

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
I assume that you are asking why the PRC do not get TPBF too. This is because TPBF is typically only versus units in the same Location. TPBF vs PRC in the same hex from a higher level is an exception that is cited under A7.21:

A7.21 ...On those rare instances when fire attacks are allowed vs units in the same Location as the attacker or vs PRC in the same hex (7.211), the FP of the attacking unit is tripled (hereafter referred to as TPBF).​
So the upper-level units get TPBF vs the PRC because of A7.211. The PRC do not, because they are not in the same Location as the upper-level units.
I just don't understand why PRC suffer TPBF from above but a squad does not (or do they?).

Also, do the PRC taking TPBF get the +2 DRM?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I just don't understand why PRC suffer TPBF from above but a squad does not (or do they?).

Also, do the PRC taking TPBF get the +2 DRM?
The PRC are in a small metal box with an open top. They have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. They are fish in a steel barrel. The guys firing from above are popping out all over from different windows, tossing in a grenade, firing a rifle or spraying with a MG, then ducking back in under cover. Note that if the units on the upper level are at level two or higher, the unit at ground level does not even get PBF [A7.21].

When fired on from above, the PRC are eligible for reduced CE DRM, per D5.311. If the firing unit is at level one, the CE DRM reduces to +1, and if the firing unit is at level two or higher, the CE DRM is reduced to +0. Note that having a reduced CE DRM means the vehicle is treated as an unarmored vehicle for the attack, and the AFV could be killed outright even by small arms. In that case the reduced CE DRM would be of no use to the PRC because they would not be subject to a collateral attack; they would roll for crew survival instead.

Using an open-topped vehicle for VBM sleaze freeze against units at higher levels can be very risky for the vehicle. Generally you should only do it if you don't mind losing the vehicle. Or you're pretty desperate.

JR

Last edited:

labelcd6

Reaction score
First name
Carl
Country
llUnited States
The PRC are in a small metal box with an open top. They have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. They are fish in a steel barrel. The guys firing from above are popping out all over from different windows, tossing in a grenade, firing a rifle or spraying with a MG, then ducking back in under cover. Note that if the units on the upper level are at level two or higher, the unit at ground level does not even get PBF [A7.21].

When fired on from above, the PRC are eligible for reduced CE DRM, per D5.311. If the firing unit is at level one, the CE DRM reduces to +1, and if the firing unit is at level two or higher, the CE DRM is reduced to +0. Note that having a reduced CE DRM means the vehicle is treated as an unarmored vehicle for the attack, and the AFV could be killed outright even by small arms. In that case the reduced CE DRM would be of no use to the PRC because they would not be subject to a collateral attack; they would roll for crew survival instead.

Using an open-topped vehicle for VBM sleaze freeze against units at higher levels can be very risky for the vehicle. Generally you should only do it if you don't mind losing the vehicle. Or you're pretty desperate.

JR
Thank you! I think you cleared it up for me.