TOW vs Advanced TOW

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Can anyone tell me what kind of advantage there is to having Advanced TOW weapons, is it an increase in the hit probability, the range, or the hitting power?

TOW weapons seem to hit and kill pretty much all the time anyway, so im just a little confused??

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greater armor penetration - if by "Advanced TOW" you actually mean the advanced ATGMs that can be optionally provided to OPFOR in TacOps.

ATGMs are very accurate weapons. However, anti armor weapons don't fire at all in TacOps unless they have a useful chance of killing a given target. They tend to not try bad shots. Thus it may appear to you that they kill their targets "all the time".

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
That would be why then, I didnt even realise the choice of opening fire depending on the type of shot was modelled, amazing!! I did wonder though occasionly when they didnt fire at some targets, that must have been why.

Yes I did mean advanced ATGM's and thanks for letting me know exactly what the difference, like I said it had me quite confused and I usually ended up just taking standard TOW launching vehicles due to not seeing this difference.

Is there a TOW launching jeep in TacOps, I thought I saw one but I cant quite remember when I was flicking through the database, a useful little pest for ambushes :devious:

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thats the HUMVEE isnt it? ive come accross that one before its in one of the solitare scenarios, hmmmm im sure there was an open top jeep or something?! but ok thanks Major :thumup:

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Off the top of my head, I don't think there are any "jeeps" in TacOps. They have been out of service for ten or fifteen years.

Back when I was pressured by the fans to add some 60s and 70s gear to the data base, I choose to not "waste" memory on '"jeeps" since the HMMWV was a reasonable substitution (capability wise). The only defect in using a HMMWV to represent a jeep is that the HMMWV can carry more people safely than the jeep could.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
switch_back said:
Can anyone tell me what kind of advantage there is to having Advanced TOW weapons, is it an increase in the hit probability, the range, or the hitting power?

TOW weapons seem to hit and kill pretty much all the time anyway, so im just a little confused??
You seem to mix up U.S. TOW missiles and ATGMs in general.

The option in TacOps only affects Russian-made ATGMs, as the Major explained.

The specific U.S. ATGM TOW has some real-life variants named TOW2 and various combinations of two letters after the "2" that I can never remember and these are sometimes named "advanced TOW". In TacOps the TOW is always the same and not affected by that "advanced warheads for Opfor ATGMs" option.

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You may have seen the Iltis LUVW TOW in the Canadian equipment- the Iltis was a jeep-analog a few years back in the CAF inventory.