Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Some might say that the purpose of an ASL tournament will depend on the individual attendee’s opinion but that is only part of the discussion because the tournament director and the sponsoring local ASL players group, whether officially organized, like the DC Conscripts group, or not, have their own reasons to spend many days of personal time to organize, contract with a venue for space and accommodations, contact sponsors for prizes and support prior to the tournament, then at ……

Darn, ran into the 80 word limit.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Let's identify some, but not all, of the silly and asinine remarks and call them out for what they are. There are more, this is just an indicative sample.

1) Jim about hiding his AREA rating: "This allows me to personally opt out of the system while making sure TD's and other players can still count their games against me. It's win - win for everyone."

nonsense. It would be a win-win if you conformed like everyone else. This is only a win for you and just the same for everyone else. Nice try, though.

2). HKW about child-like behaviors: "It's time to see ASL for what it is (in Jim's words) .. we are just a bunch of kids playing with Green Army soldiers."

ridiculous. Kids don't and can't read, understand and apply complex rules such as found in ASL when playing with green army soldiers. It takes a mature adult to comprehend the rules, then analyze and synthesize solutions when playing this game. By all means, though, you are welcome to go into your backyard and move your soldiers around and throw rocks at them pretend it's ASL you're playing.

3) AJ pretending to be above it all: "What is the purpose of asking what an individual thinks is the purpose?"

come on. Anybody can play that game. Here, I'll play too: AJ, what is the purpose of your question of asking about the OP's purpose?? yuk yuk. This could be endlessly comical but very boring.

I'm sure there is more to come. Have at it, boys (those who consider yourselves green army kids). heh.
If the OP is going to host a tournament his question is perfectly legitimate. By finding out what potential attendees want the TD can structure his goals or purpose to accommodate those of the attendees if that is his desire.

If his purpose is only to elicit other's opinions then those opinions should be accepted and done so gracefully. There is no need to be dismissive of those opinions or become disputaious if respondent's views do not match his own, or anybody else's.

Lol. I am above it all. That's the beauty of being me! 😉🤣🤣🤣

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
If the OP is going to host a tournament his question is perfectly legitimate. By finding out what potential attendees want the TD can structure his goals or purpose to accommodate those of the attendees if that is his desire.

If his purpose is only to elicit other's opinions then those opinions should be accepted and done so gracefully. There is no need to be dismissive of those opinions or become disputaious if respondent's views do not match his own, or anybody else's.

Lol. I am above it all. That's the beauty of being me! 😉🤣🤣🤣
Not only angelic, but arbiter of manners as well! Your opinions are graciously noted as opinions, o he of beauty :)

The determination of query legitimacy isn't up to you, even if you are on the welcoming committee. Nor is it your purview to determine the appropriateness of how one 'needs or does not need' to respond to others' opinions. Unless you are also a moderator as well!? Perhaps you have earned the right to be one, given your lucidity and excellent writing facilities in comparison to the current crew. Another plus is that you are not a Platinum Paying Member, but just a regular guy like me sans investment. You might have to pony up some dough to get qualified, but nevertheless, I so thee nominate for moderator-hood!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No-one who plays will have seen the scenario before
Martin - there is no malice in this post - however that statement is not strictly true. If you playtest for BFP you might have seen some of the scenarios before.

Tony in Aberdeen is currently playtesting for BFP and I have played a few of the scenarios with him. A result of which is that I am really looking forward to that Mannerheim pack 👍

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Martin - there is no malice in this post - however that statement is not strictly true. If you playtest for BFP you might have seen some of the scenarios before.

Tony in Aberdeen is currently playtesting for BFP and I have played a few of the scenarios with him. A result of which is that I am really looking forward to that Mannerheim pack 👍
It's something we're aware of. And there'll be an appropriate disclaimer/solution. Nothing we can do about this.

But you're 100% correct of course.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Unique for odd -- check!

It's an odd sponsorship because it's a shameless plug designed entirely for their products. Most sponsors graciously give product for the tournament in general. Not that I have any value judgement. You've gotta get people over to Blackpool after all, and get things rolling.

The scenario assignment is very odd. You have to admit -- untested scenarios, played blind, at a competitive tournament? You even admit the tournament is about playtesting. I'm totally not in favor of that. If that's the case, every single person playing in the tournament had better get a prize for the sacrifice of basically not playing a real tournament, but a weekend of playtesting!

As far as playing pieces go, pushing 2nd line Russians is a bad idea imo, simply because the Russians were deliberately designed by John Hill NOT TO HAVE THEM. Glad there is only one scenario, might be okay. Same for their off color leaders they like to insert into the line-up. But not a big deal.

And kudos for you to continue pushing the system and traditional boundaries. My opinion is just that, worth the fly paper it lands on :) I should show up just to show support, but it's a haul from Eastbourne to Blackpool, train or car. And I like to bring my own stuff. Plus if it's anything like the old hotel we played at, I need to bring a professional lighting system so I can see what I am doing!
In fact you're not welcome and you're not invited to my "none tournament".

Your posts are increasingly c***h. You seem to be all about causing offence as you were a few years back over dinner. And you've succeeded. I was trying to remain polite, but you seem to have made a calculated effort to push my buttons. Congratulations. It worked. And, repeat, don't even think about coming, ever. Whilst I am running things at least...

Edited by moderator to remove profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not only angelic, but arbiter of manners as well! Your opinions are graciously noted as opinions, o he of beauty :)

The determination of query legitimacy isn't up to you, even if you are on the welcoming committee. Nor is it your purview to determine the appropriateness of how one 'needs or does not need' to respond to others' opinions. Unless you are also a moderator as well!? Perhaps you have earned the right to be one, given your lucidity and excellent writing facilities in comparison to the current crew. Another plus is that you are not a Platinum Paying Member, but just a regular guy like me sans investment. You might have to pony up some dough to get qualified, but nevertheless, I so thee nominate for moderator-hood!
The nomination is greatly appreciated but I must decline your suggestion. As a moderator I would have to abandon my position of being above it all, a position I am quite comfortable with. It allows me to respond to disputasious bolshie posts in the appropriate way .

Arbitration of manners sounds like an excellent idea. I would be great at it! It costs nothing to be polite and that is exactly what I have, nothing. Also the reason I am above it all.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
  1. Having fun playing.
  2. Meeting and talking to the people, some of whom have become friends.
  3. Indulging in all of the kit around.
As for the 'competition':
It is nice to win, but at the same time some of the most exciting and thrilling games I played were those I lost.
I dislike it, if the driving factor to be able to have fun in this game (or any game for that matter) is to win - not a thing I need to reassure my ego.

von Marwitz

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Some might say that the purpose of an ASL tournament will depend on the individual attendee’s opinion but that is only part of the discussion because the tournament director and the sponsoring local ASL players group, whether officially organized, like the DC Conscripts group, or not, have their own reasons to spend many days of personal time to organize, contract with a venue for space and accommodations, contact sponsors for prizes and support prior to the tournament, then at ……

Darn, ran into the 80 word limit.
Ok, what are YOUR thoughts on what an ASL tournament means to you.
Not what other people might have in their minds.

I'll give you 20 more over the 80.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Tony in Aberdeen is currently playtesting for BFP and I have played a few of the scenarios with him.
Joe, could you please send me a copy of them scenario cards? I will keep them somewhat to myself, but I do need to prepare for the tournament🤣🤣🤣.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Joe, could you please send me a copy of them scenario cards? I will keep them somewhat to myself, but I do need to prepare for the tournament🤣🤣🤣.
I'd send you my copies but being above it all precludes me from getting involved. Much like The Watcher in Marvel comics wbitd.

For a being that was only supposed to observe he sure seemed to interfere a lot.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Here we go. It was only a matter of time.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll scrap the entire format and we'll just play a choice of three standard, published scenarios for a trophy I picked up from one of the novelty shops on Blackpool sea front. I'll pocket the rest of the subs and Simon and I will have a blow out on the community's Dollar...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Here we go. It was only a matter of time.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll scrap the entire format and we'll just play a choice of three standard, published scenarios for a trophy I picked up from one of the novelty shops on Blackpool sea front. I'll pocket the rest of the subs and Simon and I will have a blow out on the community's Dollar...
Why not just make it a DYO event? All you have to do is allocate the points for each round. That actually sounds like something that I could handle.
Jickfest?!!? Sounds good! Now all I need is a purpose.