Tournament Purpose

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If you are using unpublished scenarios some group hopefully will have playtested them.The odds are those playtesters will be at the event. Just because someone has played a scenario before doesn't mean that they will automatically beat an opponent who hasn't played it. I would rather play a well playtested scenario at an event than one that has not been playtested.

Btw playtested not for balance but rules integrity.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not only angelic, but arbiter of manners as well! Your opinions are graciously noted as opinions, o he of beauty :)

The determination of query legitimacy isn't up to you, even if you are on the welcoming committee. Nor is it your purview to determine the appropriateness of how one 'needs or does not need' to respond to others' opinions. Unless you are also a moderator as well!? Perhaps you have earned the right to be one, given your lucidity and excellent writing facilities in comparison to the current crew. Another plus is that you are not a Platinum Paying Member, but just a regular guy like me sans investment. You might have to pony up some dough to get qualified, but nevertheless, I so thee nominate for moderator-hood!
Lol. Angelic. Above it all. Nice! Slipped by me initially. The old halo doesn't shine as brightly as it used to.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
What is the purpose of asking what an individual thinks is the purpose? It's a question that makes sense if you are planning on hosting an event but otherwise inconsequential.

The attendees' purposes and that of the TD's need not be the same.

I prefer the term event over tournament. YMMV depending on your purpose.
I see you didn't bother to answer the question....So, I assume there is no purpose for you attending tournaments.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
ROFL, simply amazing how some responders address the question, and others never actually answer nor contribute to the discussion.

They just can't help themselves.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Tell you what I'll do. I'll scrap the entire format and we'll just play a choice of three standard, published scenarios for a trophy I picked up from one of the novelty shops on Blackpool sea front. I'll pocket the rest of the subs and Simon and I will have a blow out on the community's Dollar...
I see a great career in politics before you if you'd only take the plunge... 🤣

von Marwitz

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Martin - you and Simon have developed a new tourny format which is improving with every year that you run it. Thank you both for all the effort.

I am looking forward to November. It will be the first time I have pushed a counter since Heroes in March 2020...............

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Ok, what are YOUR thoughts on what an ASL tournament means to you.
Not what other people might have in their minds.

I'll give you 20 more over the 80.
I go to tournaments to have fun playing different people in a competitive setting and (hopefully) learn how to be a better player. Maybe, one day I will win a tournament or a mini tournament.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tournaments can make me aware of scenarios I never would have chosen to play. So to that end, they expand my ASL experience.
Sometimes even if I am not attending a tournament, I will download and save a copy of the list, and use it for ideas in my ftf/pbem games.
There are so many scenarios nowadays, its interesting to see what other experienced players are choosing.
A blend of tried and true, and new promising scenarios from a TD is welcomed!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I see you didn't bother to answer the question....So, I assume there is no purpose for you attending tournaments.
Correct! I haven't attended a tournament or event since 1995.

These days I am content just to encourage players to host their own event, as I have done with you on a couple occasions. From your original question I was hoping, and still do, that you were considering doing so and were looking for info on what attendees would like in an event and if your ideas would be compatible with theirs.

When I did attend events it was to have fun, meet old friends and make new ones. I always went with the goal of playing the best I could and perhaps winning or placing in the top four. However all the tournaments I attended were with Fish so the prospect of winning the whole tournament was slim. I only did so once.
Michicon. Final round. Celles Melees. Fish was the Germans.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In 3 sentences or less (80 words for those that like to use run-on sentences),
What do you believe to be the purpose of an ASL Tournament?
It's an excuse.

To meet people (often ones you may know only online, but instantly have many things in common with), to play the game, to talk about the game and the larger community in which it resides, to test your skill against others, to improve your own game by learning from players outside your own play group, to travel to new places, to get away from work/home/family, to preview new products.

It's a good excuse.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I first went to a tournament it was just to attend one, meet other players and have a good time enjoying competitive games. Yes I strove to win but playing & having fun was the ultimate objective. The year that I did take the 1st place trophy at the ASL Open in Chicago it came as a shock to me as there were about 70+ attendees that year. My games though memorable for me, were more about chance and happenstance as I consider myself a middle of the pack player. Against Randy Yeates he simply couldn't find a PF or when he did couldn't hit my last AFV holding a VC location while up to that time he had been systematically picking me apart. Against Bob Bendis I was stalled against a solid last ditch defense but in a wild turn of fate managed to roll snake-eyes in a CC to take the last required VC building. And in the final match against Wes Vaughn he simply ran into a buzz saw of ROF weapons so early that he was ready to give up the game after the opening turn only to play it out because his partner he was traveling with hadn't finished his game. He gave it a good try but had been hurt so bad in the first turn here was little chance of redressing the situation.

The next year Wes would waffle stomp me in my 1st game (at the ASL Open the former 1st place plays the 2nd place or next highest rated player from the previous year) and Randy would show me how the game is to be played while attending a get-together at Darrell Anderson's place. I can only hope that Bob & I will meet FtF again as I consider him leagues above my level of play and enjoy just watching him maneuver his forces about our cardboard battlefield. It would be a real challenge for me to be able to keep pace with him. All in all I enjoyed the defeats as much as the wins even though my objective was obviously to try to win (else, why would one play). As for a placement rating, I could give a tinkers damn and have no idea or care where I stand as I want to be able to learn something (in spite of myself) and enjoy the people and competition (because I just do).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here we go. It was only a matter of time.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll scrap the entire format and we'll just play a choice of three standard, published scenarios for a trophy I picked up from one of the novelty shops on Blackpool sea front. I'll pocket the rest of the subs and Simon and I will have a blow out on the community's Dollar...
So Heroes then?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Tournaments can make me aware of scenarios I never would have chosen to play. So to that end, they expand my ASL experience.
Sometimes even if I am not attending a tournament, I will download and save a copy of the list, and use it for ideas in my ftf/pbem games.
There are so many scenarios nowadays, its interesting to see what other experienced players are choosing.
This I had forgotten to be a big benefit!!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A very nice reason and quite true. The value of any event is the connections players make and seeing what others are doing with the game. Well said Sir.