Tournament Likes / Tournament Hates....

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I mean, I've PTed scenarios where there's something that essential (turn 1 smoke, etc.) and more and more it gets SSRed in. Older scenarios, I guess I can see it. I'd certainly trust your judgment if you put it in for a scenario, but would likely avoid such anyway (not least because most scenarios that brittle fall below my "too small, even for tourney" threshold).
Generally, if you need this rule it is for a key weapon malfunction or red MP start up DR. Most other 12's are survivable...
Steve

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I hate being required to rush through scenarios and for that reason would not attend tournaments that are in the 3-per-day format. I want to enjoy my self while playing not to put time pressure on me - the standard workday has more than enough of that and I don't need that in my spare time.

Likewise, I don't see how the 2-per-day format could be bad for the hobby. As a newbie especially, I would not enjoy being steamrolled by that AFV-playstyle of: "Ok, start 1, 2, 3, 4, bp6, turn 7 bp9, sD - no, 9, up 14, stop & HD, 2 sides, CE fire, miss, Bow, CMG to turn 1MC. Done. Anything? Next." When "next" moves, he might still be wanting to consider if he had LOS on 4 and what his TH chances might be...

I believe there are simply different styles of play - the quick one and the deliberate one. Neither one is better or worse. They are simply different and ASL works for both styles of play very well. That said, the quickest and the slowest players might not go together very well, the former being bored, the letter being stressed.

In part, the 2-per-day format can cater to both if the scenario selection for each round includes smaller and somewhat larger scenarios. The slower players will tend to select the smaller ones as they realize they won't be able to finish the bigger ones. And if the TD has a rough idea which players prefer to go slow and fast, he can match the types together according to their current win/loss ratio. This won't work all the time, but it can go a long way.

von Marwitz
This is exactly why we went to 2 rounds per day at Albany. Most players like a slightly larger scenario. I always include a smaller choice or two so if guys start late or are slower players they have a suitable choice. Besides, not everybody likes the same thing. That is why I like to give a choice of 5 scenarios per round.
Steve

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Generally, if you need this rule it is for a key weapon malfunction or red MP start up DR. Most other 12's are survivable...
Steve
Agreed. And in those cases I'd still prefer a "The OT-34's first Mechanical Reliability is automatically passed" or some such to an "open Mulligan."

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I hate being required to rush through scenarios and for that reason would not attend tournaments that are in the 3-per-day format. I want to enjoy my self while playing not to put time pressure on me - the standard workday has more than enough of that and I don't need that in my spare time.

Likewise, I don't see how the 2-per-day format could be bad for the hobby. As a newbie especially, I would not enjoy being steamrolled by that AFV-playstyle of: "Ok, start 1, 2, 3, 4, bp6, turn 7 bp9, sD - no, 9, up 14, stop & HD, 2 sides, CE fire, miss, Bow, CMG to turn 1MC. Done. Anything? Next." When "next" moves, he might still be wanting to consider if he had LOS on 4 and what his TH chances might be...

I believe there are simply different styles of play - the quick one and the deliberate one. Neither one is better or worse. They are simply different and ASL works for both styles of play very well. That said, the quickest and the slowest players might not go together very well, the former being bored, the letter being stressed.

In part, the 2-per-day format can cater to both if the scenario selection for each round includes smaller and somewhat larger scenarios. The slower players will tend to select the smaller ones as they realize they won't be able to finish the bigger ones. And if the TD has a rough idea which players prefer to go slow and fast, he can match the types together according to their current win/loss ratio. This won't work all the time, but it can go a long way.

von Marwitz
I simply can't get my brain wound up a third time to start ASL. I'll make it happen for a mini final, but heavily favor 2/day a la Bitter Ender, even there.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I simply can't get my brain wound up a third time to start ASL. I'll make it happen for a mini final, but heavily favor 2/day a la Bitter Ender, even there.
At ASLOK, if my opponent is amenable, I will often play round 3 of a mini as round one of tomorrow's. Bret calls it "double jeopardy". I like it. -- jim

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
* I would welcome mulligan lights in all ASL games I play. Can’t stand scenarios being ruined by a 12.

* You touch my dice, I’ll kill you. - Francis.

* I’m testing my ‘lucky’ dice, my precision dice and my Battleschool Dice (TM) by rolling them 1 million times each. I’ll let you know the results...

- I like ABS to choose scenarios in tournaments. Selecting sides in a scenario is a skill everyone should work on.

- I don’t like only 3 scenarios choice per round. There should be at least 5 scenarios. Been burned before where all 3 scenarios were unbalanced and a dr to get the favored side determines the winner. If I remember correctly, 12 squads were attacking 13 squads of equal strength. WTF?

* TDs do some scenarios research. In the situation above one player looked at the ROAR ratings for the 3 scenarios. The ‘best’ record was 6-23. Of course, I lost the dr and got the side with 6. When someone asked the TD how and why he selected those 3, he said, “They looked good.”

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think a choice of 3 scenarios per round is just fine and a choice of 5 just too much.

Again, there are different styles of tournaments:

Some want to encourage that people will have to do with only a short time for preparation which might be considered part of the challenge. Releasing the scenario list only shortly before the tournament is run and having 5 scenarios per round will go into that direction.

Other tournaments encourage prior preparation and people coming with setups prepared ahead of time to lessen the time of preparation on site. This will also help people to read up rules etc. beforehand. Average or less experienced players may value the time for thorough preparation. It will also lessen the chance of gacking a setup and by this lessening the fun for both opponents who might have travelled a long way to attend.

Once more, I don't think that each way is better or worse. They are just different philosophies of play which both work for ASL and for tournaments. It is just a matter of preference from the perspective of players which style of tournament they like more.

von Marwitz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
apart the rant about dice it's a great thread.

good scenarios in the list (balanced, not overcomplex, recent, appropriate to fit in the schedule)
simple swiss system pairing method with less quirks possible
a TD armed with a (virtual) whip to keep things in motion
ABS/PBS to permit players to consider any scenario proposed, even those not exactly perfect
supply ADJACENT the gaming room

hates:
when a player scores more points of anyone else and still does not win the tournament for a debatable rule ... (happens, believe me...)
when a scenario proposed is so doggy and flawed that no ABS/PBS can fix it and you realize this when it's too late (happens, believe me...)
when scenarios are publicized six months before the event (too early) or just a week before (too late). Two months is a reasonable time
when players/TDs are lazy- inexperienced and the schedule aborts from the beginning. If this happens some desperate TDs start to force players to declare draws ( bad choice) while others (even more desperate) simply cancel a round to cut times (VERY bad choice).
when the player's list is not publicized and you do not have a clue about the number of the players attending the event

More likes/hates exist, but they are minor iussues.

Anyway, just to be clear, in all tournaments I have played I have always found 99% of likes :)

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Aaron talks of using a "mulligan light" that changes one of your DR to NE. Basically, it saves you from the negative effects of a 12. It won't reverse a result...
I have played a few friendly games with this. We had a "mulligan chit". I could use it or choose not to negate the result of one of my dr/DRs. If used it would then pass to my opponent.

It was used in very small and short scenarios it trying to limit the effect of those nasty outlying dr/DRs on a small scenario with a small number of dr/DRs.

SimonC

Reaction score
Country
ll
I only go along to play a big scenario over 3 or so days and to play some other, lighter, games after hours. So my likes are a big table where I can set up a big scenario and leave it up for a few days and somewhere to play other games and maybe make a bit of noise that won’t disturb anybody playing a late, competitive game.

Good lighting ever more essential, access to good food and real ale a plus (within walking distance), and clean, quiet accommodation.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having skimmed this thread I think people care about winning too much. Maybe this is part of being a good player. As a very bad player (but still better than Jamey Cribbs and Tim Brieaddy) I learned long ago to enjoy losing.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Having skimmed this thread I think people care about winning too much. Maybe this is part of being a good player. As a very bad player (but still better than Jamey Cribbs and Tim Brieaddy) I learned long ago to enjoy losing.
My experience are that only good player organize tournaments, that bad players are heartly welcome to join :)

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
if you haven't been to tournaments, you would be off put reading this thread. I have been to many tournaments all over, and, they are very friendly and welcoming. most of this stuff never comes up. I have never seen a mulligan by rule, btw.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tournaments are what you make them. People go for different reasons. I go to see the guys and test myself against the best. Others look for an opponent for a 3 day HASLfest. Others are trying to learn by playing a lot of scenarios against a lot of different guys (and you will learn a lot from them). Others just want to play.

There’s no right or wrong.

... I have never seen a mulligan by rule, btw.
Nope, but it’s a long, long, looooooong held pipe dream.

If they (MMP) build it, I will come. - Joe Jackson, Field of Dreams.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dislike adjudicated games and take the modest opinion that they both should lose. Losers.