Tournament Likes / Tournament Hates....

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like tournaments that have lots of statistics. Especially statistics about dice probabilities. I don't like tournaments that have funny-sounding whistles.

JR
And lots of caves. Especially caves in DASL scenarios. I don't like tournaments with daytime scenarios. Bugles sound better at night.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Open format guys. If someone was to produce a blue print for a tournament what would you LOVE to see and what would you/do you despise ?

Just post whatever you see fit.

Looking like running my first tournament later this year. I have some ideas which are wonderful in my head. Wondering what runs through other people's heads to ??

BattleSchool dice prizes

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
For those of you who go to tournaments so you can generate more dice statistics with which to verify (or disprove) the integrity of your dice, I have put together a page to calculate the χ² probability for your observations. You can enter your observations of a die and it will calculate a χ² probability that the die is within the bounds for fair dice: http://www.jrvdev.com/asl/tools/dieTest. It defaults to the configuration for a six-sided die, but you can enter observations for dice of other sizes.

JR

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's get back to scenario selection. I struggle with this. I MUCH prefer to play new, never seen scenarios. However, as I get older I am getting much more selective in what I want to play and what I think is balanced. Frankly I have been disappointed in the balance of many recent publications. Of course I can be wrong, and may very well be on balance opinions. So I generally prefer a pre published list. Not so that I can play them all three times and develop the perfect plan/set up. I just want to check them out, make sure they look and smell right when I have time to review them properly, not during a 20 minute set up period as your opponent twiddle his thumbs. I just don't want to lose a scenario in the side selection process/DR. I would love to hear some solutions for new/hidden scenario lists and getting the scenarios properly vetted.

Just loaded the ASL gear in the truck. Off to KC and the March Madness tourney in the morning.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's get back to scenario selection. I struggle with this. I MUCH prefer to play new, never seen scenarios. However, as I get older I am getting much more selective in what I want to play and what I think is balanced. Frankly I have been disappointed in the balance of many recent publications. Of course I can be wrong, and may very well be on balance opinions. So I generally prefer a pre published list. Not so that I can play them all three times and develop the perfect plan/set up. I just want to check them out, make sure they look and smell right when I have time to review them properly, not during a 20 minute set up period as your opponent twiddle his thumbs. I just don't want to lose a scenario in the side selection process/DR. I would love to hear some solutions for new/hidden scenario lists and getting the scenarios properly vetted.

Just loaded the ASL gear in the truck. Off to KC and the March Madness tourney in the morning.
Tend to agree. When playing scenarios prior to a tourney that has a prepublished list, often times we'll play only a few turns to get the feel of the scenaio and have a gut feeling if it is a viable scenario for me to enjoy as a competative venture. To play a scenario again & again, just to get the "best" setup or approach just doesn't appeal to me and rarely do my opponents choose to accomodate my expectations on play anyway.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
There is a reference to the specific dice included in BV. Careful reading reveals that this rules merely says that a (unspecific) white die and one of the (specific) colored dice are rolled. So it "implies" ( :nod:;) ) that only the colored dice of BV are to be used but that you can use any white die you want.
You know, I keep forgetting this rule every single time I play. So does everyone else that I play (with some exceptions -- guys who are still using the same dice that came in their BV box back in 1985 ...). (I still have those dice, and they are stored as part of my ASL set, but I no longer use them.)

What can we do about a rule that is constantly forgotten/ignored like A.1? Oh wait I know -- A.2. :)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Therefore, if you are particular about not sharing dice bring precision dice. Pretty simple really...
Even simpler ... ignore such a silly "rule" and just play the fucking game.

Would I be tossed out of the tournament if I point-blank refused to let anyone else's filthy, diseased hands touch my dice?

At any tournament ... anyone who makes disparaging comments about the perceived fairness of my dice will be ignored on a first offence, snorted at derisively on a second offense, and on a third will be expected to prove it or shut up about it. And no, you don't get to try and prove it while our game is ongoing. ("So ... exactly how many thousands of my dice rolls have you directly observed and recorded?") Shut up and play!

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I think the crucial thing with ASL is that if people want to cheat it's probably the easiest game in the world to cheat at....without spazzing around with dice.
I seriously doubt that is true, unless we are talking about somebody deliberately exploiting a newbie. Which I guess can happen, and I've read reports of it happening at tournaments in the past, but it's not something I've ever observed for myself ... and the sort of person who would do that tends to develop a reputation.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I seriously doubt that is true, unless we are talking about somebody deliberately exploiting a newbie. Which I guess can happen, and I've read reports of it happening at tournaments in the past, but it's not something I've ever observed for myself ... and the sort of person who would do that tends to develop a reputation.
You may have misunderstood me. I don't think there are any actual major cheats. But if I WAS worried about cheating, someone using dice which give them some kind of microscopically minute advantage over the bell curve would not be the thing I worried about. I'd be checking the side record to ensure their HIP gun actually was where they revealed it, never looking away from the table, and never actually leaving the table for a piss. I'd use a bottle.

On the other hand I have seen newbies exploited and I've seen it done so cynically as to have drawn a look between me and the player concerned. A player who would do that....who knows ??

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Do you have any spare sets hanging around which you'd fancy providing as small tournament prizes/hand outs? I feel cheeky asking, but then, I am cheeky :)
What cheek!

Asking for handouts with that irritating glass begging bowl* of yours. Put a rubber band 'round it and spare us for a change.

It begins with a feigned meekness. "Mind if I share your dice?" And continues with an insincere "Please sir, can I have some more?"

I'm on to you! You play ASL to the beat of your own drum. <ba dum tss>

Unfortunately, we have no spare sets of fuzzy dice hanging around. That's what you're after, right? :)

If not, please contact me offline. :)

*Inside CarlN joke.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
What about a critical role in a tournament where no ROF is involved and two colored dice are rolled? Is the roll null and void? As the TD for the upcoming Bitter Ender I'd hate to see this question come up.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Another type of Battle School dice you can play with if your opponent insist to play the annoying symbol rolling. The annoy-your-opponent Magic the Gathering kobold tendencies are creeping into ASL.
http://crystalcaste.com/laser.gif

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about a critical role in a tournament where no ROF is involved and two colored dice are rolled? Is the roll null and void? As the TD for the upcoming Bitter Ender I'd hate to see this question come up.
Not speaking from the perspective of a TD, but if the cdr doesn't have an impact on the play at the time (e.g. ROF), I normally let an erroneous two cdr DR go as the DR for the given action. However, having said as much, it is VERY seldom that this occurs especially in a tournament setting and if so it's usually late into the evening and often time the player calls off the roll prior to the end of the roll which is also normally pretty good with me. I am fairly competitive in my approach to a game but certainly not anal retentive when it comes to many DRs [EXC: a single die being rolled outside the dice tower/dice cup or being dropped consecutively with a pause between die drops constitutes and an entire reroll for both (all) dice dropped at the same time].

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Declare the game forfeit, both players score a loss, and confiscate all their gear to sell on e-bay for the penalty fine. Easy-peasy. Let me know if there are any other tournament rulings you need.

JR

Last edited: