Tournament Likes / Tournament Hates....

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Why is this a problem? I would always prefer to roll the same dice as my opponent, and probably the majority of my games have gone that way. I'm surprised anyone would have a problem with this.
I always prefer you use separate dice, and a separate dice glass too. This is not because I think you have cooties, although you may for all I know. I am distracted when I have to keep an eye on my dice glass as it moves around the table. I am not at ease if I have to reach across the table to take "the" dice glass from you. I want it to be right where I left it. It's confusing enough if there is a beverage too. This also has the nice side effect of at least retaining the last DR I made. For that reason I bring a second dice glass and more than enough precision dice to tournaments to accommodate my opponent's needs if necessary. You can use any dice you want, you can take the dice I am using, mid-game if you like, but we are not rolling the same dice in the same glass.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The least we have mandatory requests, the better we are.
I don't like throwing the same dice, because I like to have them close at hand.
Having to pass them constantly - fire, mc, sniper, direction & extent, rs, LLMC... DR/dr can follow one another quickly - is a pain.
I have plenty of dice to lend.
If my opponent finds that my dicerolls favour me too much, I will offer that he uses my dice and I will pick up another set for myself.
But I will resist paranoid considerations which could be the reason a player wants to use the same dice.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
* TDs do some scenarios research. In the situation above one player looked at the ROAR ratings for the 3 scenarios. The ‘best’ record was 6-23. Of course, I lost the dr and got the side with 6. When someone asked the TD how and why he selected those 3, he said, “They looked good.”
Are you sure this "someone" actually spoke to the TD or it was a Russian Troll Bot ?

I think most TDs put a ton of work into scenario selection and I would doubt that anyone would do no more than check if they "looked good". He was not buying oranges at the market, he was risking the reputation of his tournament.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
While not precision, these 55mm, sequential, 20-sided dice are easy to use (and read) when tracking MP expenditures. These beer-resistant icosahedrons work equally well in low light, walk-in refrigerators, and on uneven surfaces.
And even more conveniently, they fit in the average male American asshole perfectly.

So you can carry them to your room after the game even if your hands are full with other ASL gear.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
And even more conveniently, they fit in the average male American asshole perfectly.
Two questions :

- Have you scientifically tested that statement?
You would need to define what "average" means, if women are included, in what precise conditions your statement applies, is the subject of the experience sitting, standing, crouching or lying on his belly or his back, etc.

- Are you speaking of the organic orifice or of the whole person (i.e. in the metaphorical sense)?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
According to Unscientific American, the hollyworld record is 19, and Chicago (of "Eye of the Tiger" fame) home to the most brilliant ASL scenario designers.

I hesitate to call this fake news. More likely, it's a PR stunt to promote the Chicago ASL Open.

View attachment 4335View attachment 4336View attachment 4337
You, Sir, have exposed yourself to be a Russian Bot.

Chicago, the Windy City, a designer's paradise? Wouldn't all the counters blow away too easily?

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
While not precision, these 55mm, sequential, 20-sided dice are easy to use (and read) when tracking MP expenditures. These beer-resistant icosahedrons work equally well in low light, walk-in refrigerators, and on uneven surfaces.

View attachment 4321

Had ASL gone with a percentile system based on the interplay of two d10s, we may have been spared a few flame wars over the merits of precision d6, the IIFT, and CTC. But I doubt it.
Beer resistance is a plus, for sure! Any chance for some Forgotten War precision dice?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I always prefer you use separate dice, and a separate dice glass too. This is not because I think you have cooties, although you may for all I know. I am distracted when I have to keep an eye on my dice glass as it moves around the table. I am not at ease if I have to reach across the table to take "the" dice glass from you. I want it to be right where I left it. It's confusing enough if there is a beverage too. This also has the nice side effect of at least retaining the last DR I made. For that reason I bring a second dice glass and more than enough precision dice to tournaments to accommodate my opponent's needs if necessary. You can use any dice you want, you can take the dice I am using, mid-game if you like, but we are not rolling the same dice in the same glass.

JR
I will not share dice for the simple reason: I am always referring back to the original die roll (did I hit it in the turret, did I get rate, was that a SAN, WTF did I roll again, etc).........

Not to mention slowing the game down. Chances are if you get a result I know is at least a MC, I start rolling right away.

But in the end, this is not a huge deal. I have only been asked to share dice once, explained that I had a cold (which I did) and said to my opponent, "You do not want to share dice with me"......... since he had none, he used a set of my precision dice and my extra glass.

The only dice I prefer people not using are the SP dice. Though I do agree with Spenser way upstream, if someone thinks their dice are lucky, they are probably not "true"......

Peace

Roger

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Any chance for some Forgotten War precision dice?
I'd like to say something clever like, I forgot. Or speculate on the probability of dice with a Korean War theme receiving a positive review on the DM website. Truth is, I've promised SWMBO to hold off producing any new designs before 2019.

But thanks just the same for your enthusiasm for new BattleDice.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to say something clever like, I forgot. Or speculate on the probability of dice with a Korean War theme receiving a positive review on the DM website. Truth is, I've promised SWMBO to hold off producing any new designs before 2019.

But thanks just the same for your enthusiasm for new BattleDice.
"Producing" such may well be held at bay by SWMBO...but designing such can run free through time and space by HWDD (He Who Designs Dice)...so maybe we can see some "potential forms" for 2019+?

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, since this thread has veered a bit about dice let me add this: When playing use two sets of dice. Roll the bones. Take them out of the tower/cup. Leave these dice visible so that we remember if we had ROF or was the location a turret or hull hit. Then roll two different dice. Repeat.
That optional "third dice rue" in the ASLRB should be adhered to. When doing a sniper check/artillery request, roll THREE dice. Designate one die as the sniper attack/accuracy roll; the other two will denote direction and the other extent of error. It removes one extra dice roll and does save time over time.
Battleschool sniper dice helps here, and may I suggest to Battleschool that they come up with artillery dice; one is for accuracy, the other is for direction; the last is for distance. Dress it up, make it eye catching and then add to my ASL fun.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"Producing" such may well be held at bay by SWMBO...but designing such can run free through time and space by HWDD (He Who Designs Dice)...so maybe we can see some "potential forms" for 2019+?
Would you buy 16mm Korean-War BattleDice? Would you use them when playing scenarios set during the KW?

Would you allow their use at a tournament? :)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, since this thread has veered a bit about dice let me add this: When playing use two sets of dice. Roll the bones. Take them out of the tower/cup. Leave these dice visible so that we remember if we had ROF or was the location a turret or hull hit. Then roll two different dice. Repeat.
That optional "third dice rue" in the ASLRB should be adhered to. When doing a sniper check/artillery request, roll THREE dice. Designate one die as the sniper attack/accuracy roll; the other two will denote direction and the other extent of error. It removes one extra dice roll and does save time over time.
Battleschool sniper dice helps here, and may I suggest to Battleschool that they come up with artillery dice; one is for accuracy, the other is for direction; the last is for distance. Dress it up, make it eye catching and then add to my ASL fun.
I cannot recall if I mentioned it in this thread, however, some Aussie tourneys call for the use of four dice for each DR. I don't claim to understand all of the nuance of this approach, but proponents claim that it speeds up play. For example, one set represents a TH DR, while the second set stands in for a TK or IFT DR.

With regard to OBA and tournaments, I like the Pleva Rule, which keeps the possibility of OBA alive regardless of how many red chits a player draws. However, I have not heard of a tourney rule regarding OBA and rolling three dice at once, although I can see why it would save time given that artillery is inaccurate more often than not. But I'm not convinced that a set of "OBA dice" would be of interest to many players.

I thought that our OBA tokens were innovative enough to garner more attention than they have to date. It's possible that they're off to a slow start like our Dust Devils. The lack of interest in the tokens nevertheless makes me hesitant to invest time and money in OBA-specifc dice. That said, it's not like the idea hasn't crossed my mind before now. I designed the die below a couple years ago, and was considering using it as a "direction" die.

16mm Fd Arty 400px copy.jpg