Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
After reading Martin's post about Tournament Likes / Dislikes and seeing that available food tops the list I decide to poll ASL players about their preferences for meals during a tournament.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have heeded Rob Wolkey's good advice over the years. Make sure you eat well. Even at the local all-day tournaments where Greg Hubbard and his wife provide three meals, I make sure to bring some healthy snackage that my body is used to.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Two catered meals would be great. Breakfast-supper would be my preference. At the ASL Open, breakfast is included at the hotel restaurant. That tends to be a nice time because you chat with other players and conduct post-mortems on the previous day's games.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Two catered meals would be great. Breakfast-supper would be my preference. At the ASL Open, breakfast is included at the hotel restaurant. That tends to be a nice time because you chat with other players and conduct post-mortems on the previous day's games.
The option of breakfast-lunch meals would address those hotels/motels that do not have an adjacent (or is that ADJACENT?) restaurant. I had figured that at such locations without the restaurant it might be easier/better to have a couple of boxes of two different fast-food, breakfast meat sandwiches (sausage-biscuit, etc.), plastic drinking cups and couple gallons of OJ, GJ, and/or low fat milk.

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty new to the hobby and have only been to 2 tournaments so far. Personally, 14+ hours in the room is enough for me. I like to stretch my legs and relax my brain a bit so will go out and forage. 3 full days of fast/catered food is a bit much for me. The WO pizza offered one evening was nice but I wouldn't want 3 days of it. I would like a plentiful supply of drinks. I might pay for one meal a day and then I could decide if I was eating it or passing. I would probably pass on a tournament where you paid for 3 days of food.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
- Breakfast (player's choice)
- First scenario of the day
- common catered meal or pizza (dinner)
- Second scenario of the day

Rinse and repeat

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most tournaments are held at a Hotel that provides a Continental breakfast. I voted that a catered lunch meal be provided. This way gaming can proceed throughout the whole day and then break up in the evening so that all can stepout and enjoy a dinner together in smaller groups. JMO.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Breakfast, I can go either way. Included is fine or I can live on granola/power bars, which I generally travel with.
Lunch, fast food, bar food, sandwich, etc
Dinner, proper sit down dinner at a nice restaurant is preferred. The trend toward two scenarios per day generally allows time for this if players play at a reasonable pace.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Which is better for tournaments?
1. Arrive Thursday, two rounds Friday, two rounds Saturday, final round Sunday morning, awards Sunday afternoon, fly out Sunday evening
2 Arrive Friday afternoon, one round Friday evening, two rounds Saturday, two rounds Sunday, awards Sunday evening, fly out Monday morning

Should the rounds be: 4 hours, 5 hours, or 6 hours (with appropriately sized scenarios for each round)?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
1. Arrive Thursday, two rounds Friday, two rounds Saturday, final round Sunday morning, awards Sunday afternoon, fly out Sunday evening
2 Arrive Friday afternoon, one round Friday evening, two rounds Saturday, two rounds Sunday, awards Sunday evening, fly out Monday morning
Options 1 and 2 are equivalent imo. Option 1 may please "long-distance players", while local players may prefer option 2.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Actually my preference would be hobbit style ...

- Breakfast
- Second breakfast
- Elevenses
- Luncheon
- Afternoon tea
- Dinner
- Supper
- Desert
You could also eat the dice, boards and counters in between. I hear, the dice are crunchy and served with milk, the Japanese counters especially almost taste like corn flakes.

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
When I first saw the thread title I misread as "Food Pool". I had visions of ASLers diving into a pool of pizza, burgers, fries, bacon, etc. I hoped nobody peed in that pool.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
When I first saw the thread title I misread as "Food Pool". I had visions of ASLers diving into a pool of pizza, burgers, fries, bacon, etc. I hoped nobody peed in that pool.
Don't eat anything resembling a 'Baby Ruth' chocolate bar. :eek:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Should the rounds be: 4 hours, 5 hours, or 6 hours (with appropriately sized scenarios for each round)?
I prefer option 1. Rounds should be six hours or more.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Here are two locations I am considering for a three day ASL tournament. No dates have been set therefore I have not priced the meeting space nor the rooms for the event. I am curious if both have a sufficient number of restaurants in proximity close enough to satisfy those who seek food outside of the hotel.
Tourney Area Eats1.jpgHuntsville Tourney.jpg

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I liked the one catered meal per day option, in addition to hotel-included breakfast. I do not like to have to get in my vehicle to go drive for food when the hotel is at a remote location. If the tournament venue has food within walking distance that's different and it's fine by me.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I much prefer the ASLOK approach: food is for you grownups to figure out.

Hennie and I rent a car especially for this purpose - we drive to Panera's for breakfast every day, we independently eat lunch or not, and if it turns out possible to have proper restaurant dinner together, we drive somewhere else. Has worked perfectly for me over many years.