Tournament ‘Drag’, rituals and meditation.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You’re at a ASL tournament and just beat somebody like a McGrath in a knock down close game. You put in everything you could and played like the GROFAZ for four or six hours or so, keeping total concentration the whole time. One of the best games you have ever played. Then for your next game, haphazardly slap your guys down and get sliced, diced and slaughtered. Is there a ritual or meditation to keep the concentration centered? I mean all it takes is one minor slip up to get knocked out of a tournament and doing well in one can become an endurance contest as much as anything else.
Maybe find a place to sit down and remind yourself why you are here and what your objectives are before every game:
  1. be a good sport, relax and let everybody enjoy the game.
  2. don’t get too upset when things don’t go your way, stoic
  3. free your mind and allow different ideas to flow through, grab the best one.
  4. roll with the crazy changes immediately and don’t spend unnecessary brain power on BS.
  5. Drink some tea/coffee/beer/scotch, eat some pasta ?
  6. Recite something “ Yay though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow I shall fear no ‘JR (name here)‘ ...”
  7. ...?

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rythym to breathing
Enjoy the moment
Lower your shoulders
A ...?
X -a-cute ?

I’m working on my ASL TED talk, lol, its one of my ‘power points’.

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
7) If you are in a mini..often these scenarios are known...sometimes even the whole tourney set is...therefore take the time to have pre-pared a defense. 1) you will in the comfort of your own trailer set up a pretty good D, 2) having it to hand will give you more time to relax, as above, and not worry "do I have this right,""am taking too long to set up?," "this is not-polite / cool for my OPFOR for me to take 1.5 hour" [yes I had to wait that long in a mini final at ASLOK], etc., 3) you will have had the time to check out all special attributes in Chap H of your vehicles and not have to do a hasty rules-dive. 4)...etc.

8) bring your therapy animal...it helps if it annoys your roommate who is your current OPFOR (one of Bob's hidden tricks. He knows his OPFOR can't get mad at the dog, so becomes extra frustrated at himself or the game etc....Sun Tzu used this same ploy when playing Go vs. his generals.)

9) try to crack a joke now and then, helps show your OPFOR that despite all your silent concentration, you are still there to have fun...

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everything I learned about how to play ASL I learned as a kindergartner.

Merry Christmas all ?