Tour of the Normandy landing sites.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I am currently in Normandy about to head off on a day tour of the landing sites, starting with Pegasus Bridge and ending with Omaha Beach.

Nothing new for a lot of you, but the first time I have ever visited a WWII battle site!

Bill

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What struck me were the 88L and 75L pillboxes looking down the beach. The allies landed a bunch of Shermans and the infantry/sherman knocked them out in 15 minutes or so. they were death traps.

Also questioned whether Point-du-hoc was really a very brave act during a totally unnecessary operation.

The battery of stone emplaced 75s with the large concrete fire control bunker (just back and right of Omaha), which were out gunned by the crusier 12 inch guns. First one went up on a direct hit, next a near miss; then the Polish Infantry ran like hell.

Learning about the Teddy Roosevelt's decendants (including a 1-star general) at the American cemetary was interesting. The german cemetary was tastefully done. Whitman's grave has flowers placed on it every day, plus a current german flag; which must make him spin around every day.

Go to Honfleur if you want some fresh fish, not cheap though.

Rich

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Pegasus bridge was interesting especially as I was able to have a wander round the village where I'd just played a scenario.
Spent the rest of the day paddling on Sword beach. Good times.

It dud strike that the area is a vast bay and a large expanse needed cleared of Coastal artillery to secure the landing sites. I would not liked to have unload shells under artillery fire.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
We started from Honfuer, and drove to Pegasus Bridge. The little museum is very good, and the area is only slightly changed from 1944.

We then went to to the remains of the mulberry harbour at Arromanche, where again there is a very good museum. The weather took a turn for the worst, so he view of the remaining components were limited.

We then went to the graveyard at Omaha Beach, very moving. By this time the weather was not great, and we could not see Ponte du Hoc, but could certainly see how difficult it was to get off the beach.

Our last stop was at a preserved German fortified gun battery, still with their 155(?) guns in place.

Saw lots of armour and guns, icluding two Centaur tanks, a Churchill AVRE, a Sherman DD, a couple of half-tracks, two 50mm AT guns, and numerous 25lbers, 5.5inch guns and 40mm bofors.

Really quite a moving day. I will sort out the photos when I get home.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We started from Honfuer, and drove to Pegasus Bridge. The little museum is very good, and the area is only slightly changed from 1944.

We then went to to the remains of the mulberry harbour at Arromanche, where again there is a very good museum. The weather took a turn for the worst, so he view of the remaining components were limited.

We then went to the graveyard at Omaha Beach, very moving. By this time the weather was not great, and we could not see Ponte du Hoc, but could certainly see how difficult it was to get off the beach.

Our last stop was at a preserved German fortified gun battery, still with their 155(?) guns in place.

Saw lots of armour and guns, icluding two Centaur tanks, a Churchill AVRE, a Sherman DD, a couple of half-tracks, two 50mm AT guns, and numerous 25lbers, 5.5inch guns and 40mm bofors.

Really quite a moving day. I will sort out the photos when I get home.
I take it the battery you refer to was Longues-sur-Mer. I had the misfortune of touring most of the sites you mention during the month of June, when all were crawling with tourists! Very moving as you mention, though. The interesting part about going in June is the number of uniformed re-enactors flitting about; when we were at Pegasus Bridge, I was prevented from crossing by a convoy of 1944 jeeps and trucks. Also got to witness a flight of modern transports fly over, taking some current paratroopers to a ceremonial jump closer to Caen. So you take the good with the bad.

MajorDomo said:
The german cemetary was tastefully done. Whitman's grave has flowers placed on it every day, plus a current german flag; which must make him spin around every day.
I doubt he'd care, but if he was looking for things to get upset about, I think he'd be more torqued about people never spelling his name correctly.

t3dobber

Reaction score
I am currently in Normandy about to head off on a day tour of the landing sites, starting with Pegasus Bridge and ending with Omaha Beach.

Nothing new for a lot of you, but the first time I have ever visited a WWII battle site!

Bill
Is the cafe near Pegasus in operation and still in the family also the underground bunker near the bridge still there as well?

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The cafe is still there, and they make a big deal about it being the first building liberated on D-Day. The 50mm AT gun is still mounted on the south east side of the bridge, in a casemate that allows 360 rotation.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The cafe is still there, and they make a big deal about it being the first building liberated on D-Day. The 50mm AT gun is still mounted on the south east side of the bridge, in a casemate that allows 360 rotation.
That was just because the Brits had to stop for some tea. :clown: