Tour of Duty.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just a quickie query, has anyone here got anything to say about the Vietnam series Tour of Duty?

It's always something I've wanted to see, but to my knowledge it has rarely been shown in the UK and certainly hasn't been repeated in recent years.

1) Was it any good?

2) Does anyone know if there are any plans to release it on DVD?

Thanks muchly.

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tour of Duty

Don't know that its available on DVD, but I don't think so. It wasn't a bad show. Mostly it revolved around a special ops crew (platoon?) as they went out on a variety of missions, and the odd side issue thrown in for a change of pace. More geared towards entertainment than to historical accuracy.

DingBat

Reaction score
Heh, your sig reminds me of a similar engineering quip:

Mechanical engineers make weapons, civil engineers make targets.

Panzer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used to watch Tour Of Duty and China Beach when they were on. Both were really good shows in my opinion and showed two very different views of the Vietnam War. I wish they would bring them back or release them to DVD or somthing.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Panzer
I used to watch Tour Of Duty and China Beach when they were on. Both were really good shows in my opinion and showed two very different views of the Vietnam War. I wish they would bring them back or release them to DVD or somthing.
Both shows have been in syndication. Its been a while since I've seen "China Beach", but "Tour of Duty" was on TNT within the last year.

Panzer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
Both shows have been in syndication. Its been a while since I've seen "China Beach", but "Tour of Duty" was on TNT within the last year.
Cool, I will have to check the listings to see if it is still on and when it is.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always hated that show....those guys were too clean,thier hair was too long, they were too chubby,......that show blew! It was just trying to make a few bucks off of the couple of good vietnam movies that came out (platoon/fullmetal jackoff)....shit, even those movies were assinine but at least they swore and drank and smoked weed and screamed and bled.....even with charlie sheen looking like he was in a broadway production of "The Bratpack goes to 'Nam!"

And china beach? oy! what crap.:mad:

we need to bring back quality, realistic war-themed programming like Hogan's Heroes or The Rat Patrol;)

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fenrir
I always hated that show....those guys were too clean,thier hair was too long, they were too chubby,......that show blew! It was just trying to make a few bucks off of the couple of good vietnam movies that came out (platoon/fullmetal jackoff)....shit, even those movies were assinine but at least they swore and drank and smoked weed and screamed and bled.....even with charlie sheen looking like he was in a broadway production of "The Bratpack goes to 'Nam!"

And china beach? oy! what crap.:mad:

we need to bring back quality, realistic war-themed programming like Hogan's Heroes or The Rat Patrol;)
If you have a high definition TV and satellite you can see "Hogan's Heroes" on HD Net. I haven't seen "The Rat Patrol" in years....has anyone seen it in syndication?

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have a high definition TV and satellite you can see "Hogan's Heroes" on HD Net. I haven't seen "The Rat Patrol" in years....has anyone seen it in syndication?
:toast: Years ago, probably early to mid-80s, I saw Rat Patrol, though can't remember station. It was always one of my favorites. I did like Hogan's Heroes, though I thought it was rather too campy. :banana:

Hunter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tour of Duty wasn't bad as some say. It wasn't until they switched the emphasis from the platoon of regular grunts that they started out with to the SpecOps that it started to go down. CBS didn't help with it's scheduling policies either.

They did attempt to cover some of the issues about the war, ( My Lai, drugs, etc.) but again the CBS sensors were up to their elbows and it was an attempt to cash in on the spate of the movies that were starting to be released.

China Beach wasn't bad either as it tried to show another aspect to the the war from the nurse's persepctive. You can still see this on The History Channel on Sunday mornings.

Combat! The Gallant Men, can be seen on the The Good Times network on cable. Combat! can be caught on Encore's Action movie channels.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yeah, hogan is on here on an indy network. I haven't seen Rat Patrol since I was 12 or 13 (early half of the 80's)...

I'm sure it looks like crap now that i've been watching "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" quality material for the last 20 years.

I sure did think it was cool as hell when i was a kid, though.

speaking of Hogan's Heroes, When the gestapo guys come around (either the troopers in black or colonel hochstetter) I always look to see what the honor titles on thier cuffs read. I always guess "Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler" but i can't quite tell. Does anybody know? why would uniformed soldiers of LAH be doing SD/Gestapo thug-work?

dog470soldier

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
tour of china beach

The first season was awesome. They were dirty filthy grunts living in the bush. But, the moder (1987) Army had a heavy hand in keeping the show in choppers. That made it sanitized. they angered the military by talking about fragging, drugs, race, and questioning the War. This lost them the mil support.
China beach was becoming a big deal in the second season. The show moved from Hawaii to Calif. Then they tried to compete with China. It became tour of China beach. They slept in cots at night and had round eyed girlfriends.
The MacVSog aspect was cool. Too bad it was interspersed with round eyed chicks and China beach stuff.
I never watched one episode of China. It was in I Corp and only the deluxe extra special REM*'s got stationed there. Well, why I never watched it. After Mash, I couldn't take another show that made the enemy our friend.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
RE' Paintball.

Do we have paintball in the UK? Yes, definitely. It's not something I've ever done myself, but some blokes at a place I used to work went regularly.

There's a big Paintball place at Greenham Common - that's an ex-USAF airbase where you chaps used to keep your cruise missiles (and some of your nukes, I think). In the 80s, it was permanent home to hundreds of female anti-nuclear protestors who had their own tent settlement outside the base. Nowadays, you can run around the old brick outbuildings and shoot at your friends.

An Uncle of mine spent 6 months in Hospital about 20 years ago as a result of a paintballing session. He accidentally pulled the tab on a smoke grenade when he stuffed it into his pocket. When it went off, it removed most of the skin from his leg and he had to have major skin grafts. The Nurses used to call him "The Colonel" because of his "war" wounds.

Regards,

Dr. S.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Hunter
Tour of Duty wasn't bad as some say. It wasn't until they switched the emphasis from the platoon of regular grunts that they started out with to the SpecOps that it started to go down. CBS didn't help with it's scheduling policies either.

They did attempt to cover some of the issues about the war, ( My Lai, drugs, etc.) but again the CBS sensors were up to their elbows and it was an attempt to cash in on the spate of the movies that were starting to be released.

China Beach wasn't bad either as it tried to show another aspect to the the war from the nurse's persepctive. You can still see this on The History Channel on Sunday mornings.

Combat! The Gallant Men, can be seen on the The Good Times network on cable. Combat! can be caught on Encore's Action movie channels.
They didnt want an earlier version of the Janet Jackson booby thingy.
Imagine the Sarge dancing on stage and stripping before doing an 8-ball!
Just joking.

Mark
Deo Vindice:banana: