Toujours L'Audace Terrain SSR

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR 2 for Scenario ASL 48 Toujours L'Audace states that:

2. All hill hexes on both boards are considered ground-level woods; outline of these woods conforms to the outline of the printed hill masses (including the cliff faces). All other terrain features (including the entire 11 P8-P9 hedge) therein, except roads, do not exist and are ignored.​

A literal reading of that sentence would indicate that all terrain bounded by the printed hills on the maps are treated as woods and all other terrain (including all woods hexes not on a hill) are open ground. But looking at the map posted on the ASL Scenario Archives shows that the person who made that map read the SSR to mean that all terrain except existing woods hexes are open ground (some wall hexsides were also left in on the map, I'm guessing in error). See the first image below for this interpretation of the SSR.

If the SSR is read to mean the only non open ground terrain on the map is woods that us bounded by the printed hill masses and all all other terrain features (including woods hexes not already on hills) therein, except roads, do not exist and are ignored, the map would look like the second image below.

My initial reading of the SSR was the same as whoever made the Scenario Archive map, but I wanted to see what others had to say about it. I am making overlays for Maps 2 and 11 for this scenario that I hope will be included with the map files in the future and I want to get it right.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
For that scenario there is a SSO (special scenario overlay) in VASL for board 2.

It will give this (no other alterations made):

Strangely, though, there is no SSO for board 11 for this scenario. Seems strange that a "special" has been made only for half the playing area. My guess is that an SSO for board 11 might have existed in an older board version. But as I said -only guesswork.

von Marwitz

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where it says "All other terrain features ... therein" it means all other terrain on the (former) hills, not all other terrain on the map.
I took "therein" to apply to "both boards" instead of "All hill hexes on both boards", but I see your reading is correct EagleIV. Thank you.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For that scenario there is a SSO (special scenario overlay) in VASL for board 2.

View attachment 17168

It will give this (no other alterations made):

View attachment 17169

Strangely, though, there is no SSO for board 11 for this scenario. Seems strange that a "special" has been made only for half the playing area. My guess is that an SSO for board 11 might have existed in an older board version. But as I said -only guesswork.

von Marwitz
I'm working on an overly for board 11 for this scenario as well as an updated map file for my own use von Marwitz. Is there someon I can send it to for inclusion in the official board file?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Either one, myself or Al. Al has more experience with these than me.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I updated both the Board 2 and Board 11 files to fix the overlay for Scenario 48 Toujours L'Audace for Board 2 and add an overlay for Board 11. This required the following changes:

brd02 changes:
Updated file 2_SSO_48.gif to include cliff faces in the woods overlay per SSR 2 in ASL 48 Tojours l’Audace. Original Overlay had open ground for the cliff faces. Not a huge change and probably wouldn't make a difference if it wasn't corrected.​

Brd11 changes:
Added file BSO_11_TLA.gif

Added to SSR Controls File:
<Checkbox name="">​
<entry name="48: Toujours l'audace" rule="BSO_48_TLA" text="scenario 48 overlay"/>​
</Checkbox>​

Added to BoardMetadata.xml File:
<overlaySSRule name="BSO_11_TLA" image="BSO_11_TLA.gif" x="41" y="13" />​

Added to overlaySSR File:
BSO_11_TLA​
BSO_11_TLA.gif 41,13​

I will PM the updated files to @BigAl737.

SRenaudin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi! How could one get the overlays for this scenario? I cannot seem to find them in my VASL. Thank you !

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
These are board-specific overlays:

In BoardPicker, select Terrain SSR

Scroll to the bottom of the transformation types list (in the middle of the TerrainSSR window). You should see an option like Board 11 BSO or something like that. Select it and the list of overlays should appear.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Damn This looks like a sweet setup!!
May have to play it

SRenaudin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
These are board-specific overlays:

In BoardPicker, select Terrain SSR

Scroll to the bottom of the transformation types list (in the middle of the TerrainSSR window). You should see an option like Board 11 BSO or something like that. Select it and the list of overlays should appear.
I have the "48 Toujours L'audace" option for board 2 specific board overlays, but not for board 11. Is there a new version of board 11? I have a version from may 2nd 2021. No hurry, we decided to play only with "hill -> woods" transformation to make sure all the outlines were kept ok

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have the "48 Toujours L'audace" option for board 2 specific board overlays, but not for board 11. Is there a new version of board 11? I have a version from may 2nd 2021. No hurry, we decided to play only with "hill -> woods" transformation to make sure all the outlines were kept ok
@Rocket-Man The board 11 overlays seem to be missing in the latest version of the board. I had the same result as SRenaudin. I may have overwritten them as I made changes to just about every board this spring. Apologies if I did.

If you PM me the files, I will re-issue board 11 with them included.