Touchdown Seattle, chaos NFL

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NFL is in big trouble after that Seahawk TD fiasco. I didn't think the officiating in the Raven-Patriot game could get any worse.

I was wrong.

Luckily the Steelers have a bye this week, so they won't get screwed next Sunday and hopefully the refs will be back by then.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Anyone got a link to a video?

I have noticed more calls opf offensive pass interference but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Must admit that I am glad Greenbay lost, but that was a terrible way to lose. Don't see how the call could be upheld in a review. Unbelievable!McCarthy handled the situation with class though. Reminds me of "they are who we thought they were".

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dual possession is not a reviewable call. all scoring plays are reviewed but not sure if the video ref can call a penalty (off. PI on the last play) that's not called on the field. I doubt it (there's said to be holding on every play, for example.)

poorly called game. classy of Green Bay to come back out for the PAT.

Go 'Hawks!

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The teams can't ask for a review, but all scoring plays are supposed to be automatically reviewed. Situations like this one are precisely what instant replay was intended to protect against.

Epic. Fail.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The teams can't ask for a review, but all scoring plays are supposed to be automatically reviewed. Situations like this one are precisely what instant replay was intended to protect against.

Epic. Fail.
NFL has announced that dual possession isn't reviewable in the field of play but is reviewable in the endzone. the NFL response this morning is not from replacement referees and confirms the call.

I think that this season's feeling many have needs to be put in perspective. There have been blown calls since sports began having referees. I just looked at the 1975 playoff 'hail mary' play between Dallas and Minnesota -- my memory of it has always been that it was a missed offensive pass interference call; now I'm not so sure; if we'd had 12 camera angles, HD and slow-motion, who knows what we'd see. In last night's game all of the earlier PI calls -- and non-calls -- 'hands to the face', roughing the passer, etc. are judgement calls. if they'd gone the other way, would there be any less outcry? a change in any of those calls would have made a final hail mary play moot. I'm also convinced that if it had been Cleveland, say, and not on MNF, it'd be less of a cut-and-dry story.

Tennis, hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball -- none of these sports have the need to be objectively accurate regarding calls 100% of the time. Maybe they recognize themselves as sports/games first. I heard $350 million was lost last night "on that one call" -- too bad!

too many fans think that the "real officials" would make for a better game (true, it would be faster); that football can be objectively accurate; that these missed calls rarely happened in the past. To this, I say 'ha!' This season so far is the most interesting in the NFL for years and years.

Edit: if anyone has some free time and cares to, take a look at youtube's "NFL Top Ten Controversial Calls" they go back to the '70s and none involve replacement refs; although last night's game -- or another from this season -- may change that.

Last edited:

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What I'm finding endlessly fascinating (as a non-football fan) is the number of conservatives around the internet saying "I don't like unions, but look how fast I change my mind when the issue is as important as football".
Air traffic controllers, schoolteachers, autoworkers... lazy entitled bastards. Football refs? Justice is on their side!

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I'm finding endlessly fascinating (as a non-football fan) is the number of conservatives around the internet saying "I don't like unions, but look how fast I change my mind when the issue is as important as football".
Air traffic controllers, schoolteachers, autoworkers... lazy entitled bastards. Football refs? Justice is on their side!
Ah, I see the queen of the generalizations showed up.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I likes me some football. But I have come to realize it is just entertainment nothing more. I would have loved to to see it happen to the Steelers just to watch all the Steelers idiot fans go crazy. Steeler fans are the worst must be the steel shavings they put in Iron City beer.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget about all the liberals who think everyone deserves an opportunity at a job, and we should hire so that <name a job sector> looks like America until it's about something as important as sports and then it's 'hire only the best person for the position'. The US Supreme Court, school teachers, POTUS . . . needs to look more like society. Football players? NFL refs? Hire the best!

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Football rules have almost become as nuanced as ASL. The more complex you make "the process of catching a pass" the more difficult you make the game to officiate. If it takes 7 men with the mental capacity of a brain surgeon, the eyes of a hawk, and computer-like speed of thought to judges every aspect of the game at any given moment while under the scrutinty of over pressured coaches and the threat of official second-guessing form the holy "replay," then you will get many "bad calls" of import. I think the whole game can use an overhaul to make it more interesting and diced on play and athletiscm.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, a good friend of mine, who is a NFL fanatic said this today: "if your team loses a game due to a single call, then maybe the team needs to play better." Blaming a referee for the loss of a game, is like an ASLer blaming his loss on the dice. That is what cowards do.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Football rules have almost become as nuanced as ASL. The more complex you make "the process of catching a pass" the more difficult you make the game to officiate. If it takes 7 men with the mental capacity of a brain surgeon, the eyes of a hawk, and computer-like speed of thought to judges every aspect of the game at any given moment while under the scrutinty of over pressured coaches and the threat of official second-guessing form the holy "replay," then you will get many "bad calls" of import. I think the whole game can use an overhaul to make it more interesting and diced on play and athletiscm.
with baseball, the deep strategic thinking is used to determine who should be pitching what to whom and how that will play out 3 batters from now. the brains on an NFL team are analyzing tape of something that's already happened trying to decide whether or not to throw a red flag.
Weren't any of you amazed at Seattle's defense in the 1st half? the adjustments GB made in the locker room at halftime? how they controlled the ball for the entire 3rd quarter? how they still were losing after what appeared to be a complete reversal of the game at the end of the 3rd, 7-6?

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Must admit that I am glad Greenbay lost, but that was a terrible way to lose. Don't see how the call could be upheld in a review. Unbelievable!McCarthy handled the situation with class though. Reminds me of "they are who we thought they were".
It would seem that karma finally got them for the " upon further review" call agains Da Bears years ago.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's also a good illustration of how many fans don't know the rules. Jennings had both hands on the ball alone while in the air but control was disputed by the time he landed. His greed to get the interception as what was wrong. He should have batted the ball out the end zone.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
His greed to get the interception as what was wrong. He should have batted the ball out the end zone.
Excellent point. Everything you do in Football or ASL, or Life should work towards the gaining the objective.