Total newbie wants teaching!

Tigermuppetcut

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, I've read so many wonderful things about this game from enthusiastic players on site like boardgamegeek etc. that I really want to try it. However a recurring theme in those discussions is that it is a game that needs to be taught to you rather than you going off and trying to learn it all by yourself.

I don't want to go off and buy it before I know if I'll like it and I thought VASL might be the answer but that says you need the game anyway to play it. Is there any way I could be taught the game over VASL (unless there are any players in England on this board?)

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
You should definitely try to find someone in your area that can teach you the basics a least before trying to learn it on VASL.
It is a lot of rules and they just do not lend themselves to be taught in VASL.
Check out this site for players in England:

http://www.vftt.co.uk/

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reading examples of play might give you the closest insight to the game short of having it taught to you.

Here is a good source.

http://www.mindspring.com/~tqr/

Warning, this won't be something you read in 5 minutes, so wait till you actually want to sit down and examine it.

Consider it like having a game professor giving you a decent seminar :)

Regardless of your interest though, one thing is inescapable. The game is not inexpensive. And no amount of positivity from the gang is going to alter that.

You can't play without the rules chaa ching money spent.
And you need at least a module like Beyond Valour chaaa ching money spent.
So unless you can generate a serious purchase option (assuming you are not able to get a deal on eBay etc), the game will elude you.
This won't be like a computer game purchase where you spend 40-50 bucks and it's over.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oops Minaya already had that link :) I think of it as Tuomoland and didn't draw the connection with the link in his post :)

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Tigermuppetcut said:
Is there any way I could be taught the game over VASL (unless there are any players in England on this board?)
There're a few of us, but many who aren't. Whereabouts are you?

Tigermuppetcut

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm in sunny Croydon, Surrey / South London. You?

I'll check those pages for examples of play thanks!

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ahh, Croydon. I'm up in North Herts, myself, but there should be plenty of gamers nearby.

You should try to make one of the UK cons as well (Berserk in Blackpool, March; Intensive Fire in Bournemouth, October). Both run special sections for new players...

Tigermuppetcut

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How long does a typical game of ASL take? (If there is such a thing as a typical game!) :)

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
FtF? Tourney-sized games between experienced players (who don't need to look up rules, have the IFT memorised, etc.) might take only an hour plus setup time (half an hour, probably).

A typical game? Probably in the vicinity of two to four hours playing time. Bigger scenarios, think anything up to the limits of your endurance...

Set up time can be significant, particularly for big scenarios or if the defender's coming into the scenario blind.

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would say an hour is a bit short even for us that do know almost all the rules (all is impossible) and the charts from the back of our head.
If I compare with Stockholm Tournament and Scandinavian Open (Copenhagen) there is rounds that are 4-5 hours long and that should fit a small to medium-sized game and then that is supposed to be enough time to allow for less experienced players to finish as well.

Peter Rogneholt

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
The hour was the minimum - looking back at my post that didn't come across too well.

FWIW, I can usually finish an infantry-only small scenario in two hours with my relatively inexperienced FTF opponent including set-up time.

Willhog

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi there,

I have just joined the community and live in Swindon (Jct 16 M4) Wiltshire. I do have a used copy of ASL Rule Book Version 1 I could lend you and some spare Boards. I have been playing SL/ASL since it came out.
If you are interested let me know.

Cheers,

Will.