torpedo hits

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
One of the difficulties I have is remembering that the visible wake isn't where the torpedo itself is. So I'm tracking the progress of the torpedo, but I'm looking in the wrong spot for the splash.
I'm not sure if I misunderstand you or not but the torpedo itself is modelled and can be seen zooming along a few yards ahead of it's bubble wake.

Invincible

Reaction score
I just read this thread because I am interested in torpedo hits and how they show up in the game. I was amazed at the level of detail provided by SES in the game. However, I think the explosions should be somewhat larger and it would be nice if they had some distinctive sound and caused the ship to shake like the shell hits.

As a test yesterday I carefully watched torpedoes and have a series of screen shots showing a torpedo launched from HMS Lizard. Doing a little research this is a torpedo with 515 lb of explosive. For comparison a British 15" APC shell has has 60.5 lb and a 15" CPC has 129.3 lb.

The first screenshot shows the launch. In the second you can actually see the torpedo underwater in the lower center part of the screen below the splash (impressive graphics !). In the third you see the torpedo approaching SMS Ostfriesland, then see the explosion start and peak. Even at the peak it is pretty small, only going part way up the superstructure.

I am trying to see if there is any footage of WWI torpedo hits. I know there are pictures of US WWII Mk 14 torpedo hits and these are much larger but don't have that much more explosive - 643 lb.

JebUSMC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You also have to keep in mind that the weight of the charge is only part of the factor when considering power and splash effect. The type of explosive has to be considered. The US MK 14 not only had a heavier warhead but the explosive used was much more powerful. Pretty much all WW1 torpedos used TNT while most all torpedos of WW2 used Torpex. Torpex is 50% more powerful than TNT.

Last edited:

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a test yesterday I carefully watched torpedoes and have a series of screen shots showing a torpedo launched from HMS Lizard. Doing a little research this is a torpedo with 515 lb of explosive. For comparison a British 15" APC shell has has 60.5 lb and a 15" CPC has 129.3 lb.
Actually, the 1916 version of the 21" Mk II torp only had a 400-pound charge. The 515-pound charge was the 1917-1918 version. The 1914-1915 version was smaller. Ranges and speeds also increased during the course of the war, too.

All these 21" torps were Mk IIs but had varying number of stars (*) after their name. Most of these dealt with very minor changes that had no effect on meaningful game performance. Thus, we instead named them Mk II (E), Mk II (M), and Mk II (L), for early, middle, and late. Most Brit ships in Jutland have the (M) version, but the commandeered/purchased ships being built for foriegn nations usually had the (E) version even in 1916.

In the third you see the torpedo approaching SMS Ostfriesland, then see the explosion start and peak. Even at the peak it is pretty small, only going part way up the superstructure.
What do you have for your smoke and wake setting in the main display options? I have mine maxed out and a 21" torp hit makes a big splash. Not as big as a heavy shell, but MUCH bigger than shown in your pics.

You also have to keep in mind that the weight of the charge is only part of the factor when considering power and splash effect. The type of explosive has to be considered. The US MK 14 not only had a heavier warhead but the explosive used was much more powerful. Pretty much all WW1 torpedos used TNT while most all torpedos of WW2 used Torpex. Torpex is 50% more powerful than TNT.
Quite a few WW1 torps still used wet gun cotton, not even TNT. Also, heavy shells made a lot of their splash simply due to their huge velocity when hitting the water. Their explosive effect was a minor component of the splash, comparitively.

Invincible

Reaction score
Bullethead, thanks for the clarification on the British Mk II torpedoes. I couldn't find Mark II (M) in the references so I went with the Mk II with the heavier warhead. I did see 400 lb listed but didn't know when the change occurred.

As for settings I had "Full" for smoke and wake so that should not have been the problem. Reading the earlier posts I noticed SMS Biene said:

Ok thanks, problem solved. Like flying debris this seems to work by turning the frame rate adaptive detail option off. And yes, the torpedo hit splashes should be enlarged
Does frame rate adaptive detail make a difference on torpedo explosion size? I had frame rate adaptive detail on. Seems like this should only affect the graphics when demand is high and fps low, since the explanation in the manual says settings revert to as set when above threshold. I try to keep above 30 fps and have been pretty successful at this. Looking at the screen shots I posted I did notice one at 26 fps though. The rest were between 30 and 40.

One other thing I noticed when looking at the screen shots of the torpedo launch was the size of the launch splash. Notice how big that splash is. It goes well above deck level on the DD. Granted the DD deck is much lower than Ostfriesland but all that is happening here is the torpedo dropping in the water - no explosion at all.

avl90

Reaction score
How do you fire a spread? My destroyers are firing all their torps along the same bearing.
I take it by the silence on this that there is simply no way to fire a torpedo spread. It should be easy - one launcher fires on the predicted bearing, the other launchers fire a few degrees to either side. There would be no way to set spread angle, but a good angle could be found by testing at typical launch ranges and would be better than no angle at all.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I take it by the silence on this that there is simply no way to fire a torpedo spread.
Spreads USUALLY happen automatically. When you fire torps from multiple tubes at once, they almost always go at slightly different angles, and sometimes even use different speed settings. Only rarely do even 2 of them follow the same track.

kristof

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have spotted torpedo wakes from time to time. But are torpedo hits visible in the game? Are there any visible effects?

Thanks
SMS Biene
I had seen Torpedoe wakes hit ships in Jutland many times but had only seen small impact explosion once, untill I switched up Smoke & Wake settings to FULL as the guys on site have advised.
Now see Torpedoe hits and even detailed torpedoe's. BUT the Water spout is VERY SMALL. To easy to miss in heat of battle.

kristof

Last edited: