Top Ten Movie Battles

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
BubbaScott7280 said:
Wolfe

Gburg was filmed on site. Damn good movie. One of my all time faves.
Thanks Bubba...I spoke too soon as there is a short documentry attached to the end of the DVD which told the story of how the film was made. In fact that Docu. was pretty moving in it's own right too!

A Salute to all the brave men who fought and died there.

MomoJak00

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Solid choices all (even if I didn't see Princess Mononoke coming), but I'm surprised that the last big firefight in HEAT wasn't listed.

Mmmm... FN FNC, Galil, M4...

knuckles_95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my favorites and one of his best roles

Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
Kate: You don't even know him.
Doc Holliday: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
Wyatt Earp: [to Ringo] He's drunk.
Doc Holliday: In vino veritas.
Johnny Ringo: Age quod agis.
Doc Holliday: Credat Judaeus apella.
Johnny Ringo: [pats his gun] Ecentus stultorum magister.
Doc Holliday: [gives a Cheshire cat smile] In pace requiescat.
Tombstone Marshal Fred White: Come on now. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language.
Doc Holliday: Evidently Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I would also mention The Last Samurai.
I thought this was a pretty good movie. I thought the part where they captured him was ridiculous though. Those Samurai would have simply slashed him open and left him for dead. Getting held off by a wounded man with a pointy stick in his hand, while waiting for the boss to come up almost made me stop watching. Fortunately I didn't.

I too, wish we could see more movies like this and Master and Commander.

:eek:

Mason Jar

Reaction score
I once heard some vets talking about Vietnam movies and they all seemed to agree that Hamburger Hill "got it right."

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was

MomoJak00 said:
Solid choices all (even if I didn't see Princess Mononoke coming), but I'm surprised that the last big firefight in HEAT wasn't listed.

Mmmm... FN FNC, Galil, M4...

I made reference to it in the 5th post and a few others jumped on. That is a great scene.

CD

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Wolfe Tone said:
Question folks seeing as we're on films (movies! :cheeky: ) that one of you guys in the US might be able to help me with.

I recently purchased 'Gettysburg' and 'Gods and Generals' for 29.99 euro. I am watching Gettysburg and I am wondering if the film was actually filmed around there and if the terrain seen in the film is historically accurate?

Thanks to anyone who can help. :)
IIRC the film was shot near there. It is pretty close. Cemetary 'ridge' would not even get me to change gears on my bicycle. (Neither would "Wellington's ridge" at Waterloo). It always amazes me how they are depicted on period maps and that games impose movemment penalties for going up them. They do block LOS, but thats about all.

Last edited:

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
One that needs to be added is the movie Waterloo. The cavalry charge is intense!! Oh, and the Russian version of "War and Peace". Damn!!!! That has got to be seen to be believed!

Other movies that should be in the running: 'The Devil's Brigade' (often overlooked, a great movie), 'Full Metal Jacket', 'A Thin Red Line' and 'When trumpets Fade'

For One-on One Combat: 'The Three / Four Musketeers' (early 1970s by Richard Leister, two of the greatest movies ever!), The Duellists (Ridley Scott), and 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' (1930s)

Overall the winner HAS TO BE the first 30 minute of SPR!!!!!

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
L'Emperor said:
IIRC the film was shot near there. It is pretty close Cemetary 'ridge' would not even get me to change gears on my bicycle.
A lot of it was filmed on location, but some of it was not. Most of Picket's charge was filmed on location. Some of the scenes where soldiers of the 20th Maine are resting at the top of Little Round Top were filmed on location. Part of the rest of that battle was filmed in neighboring Adams County. The scenes of Lutheran Theological Seminary were filmed on location. Also, the brief scenes which include the Devil's Den were filmed on location.

Gettysburg battlefield is today littered with many monuments, some of which were cleverly camouflaged for the movie (but can still be seen here and there if you know where to look).

Here is something to contemplate when you are watching the film. Picket's Charge actually included roughly 15,000 men. There were only about 5,000 reenactors available at the time when the film was shot, so the reenactors actually play both sides! The switched uniforms and filmed the battle from each direction to get the shots they needed. In reality, this portion of the battle was far larger and bloodier than what you see in the movie Gettysburg.