Top Movies of the Year

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, since the year has about wrapped up, I figure it's time to decide on my list for the year. I'll admit there are a couple things in the last few weeks I haven't gotten to, but well such is life.

1) Shaun of the Dead
This won't top everyone's list I know. But I can't help it, as a horror and especially zombie fan this movie was perfect for me. It had absolutely everything I could ask for. The humor was great (beware: It's British humor!). The special effects, make-up, gore, etc were all quite good. It had it's share of social commentary to put it into running with Romero's films. I could go on and on with reasons why I liked this movie.

2) Collateral
Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx played their roles extremely well. I loved the one on one dialogues that dominated the movie. The action was fun (occasionally over the top - but it was fun). However, what really made this movie for me - amazing camera work and style. Michael Mann makes every shot interesting and has created a visually amazing movie. It might miss with some people, but the shot with the coyotes crossing the street is one of my favorite moments in film in recent years.

3) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I think easily the best Kaufman. I'm not a Jim Carrey fan but I think he does a good job in this one. I can't say a whole lot about this one, other than give it a try.

4) Garden State
This could easily compete for third place for me, but I decided I liked Eternal Sunshine a little bit better. This movie had a fanstatic soundtrack, great writing, and great acting (Natalie Portman). This was one of those movies I found myself just lost in every time I saw it.

5) Saw
I think honestly, this could probably be higher on the list for me, but here it stands. I'd been waiting a very long time for this movie, cringing every time I saw this movie get pushed back further and further. Ultimately, it wasn't what I expected and yet gave me everything I could ask for. The word coming out about this was that it was one really messed up dark nasty horror film. When I saw it, the gore and scares were hardly up to the reputation that preceeded it. However, it managed to surpass my expectations in other areas. It gets two black marks in my book, some of the acting was bad - actually, only Cary Elwes. He was okay in parts, and horrible in others. Interestingly, the best acting in this movie came from first time writer (and practically first time actor) Leigh Whannell who I thought did a great job as Adam. And overall the movie was very well written and thought out.

Honorable Mentions: Kill Bill Vol II, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Napoleon Dynamite

Things from 2004 I still want to see: Goodbye Lenin, Closer, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, I Heart Huckabees, The Machinist, and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

EDIT - I thought I'd add something:

Worst Film of the Year:
Aliens vs. Predator
What was wrong with it? Everything. If you saw it, or even watched the commercials for it, and you're skeptical that it deserves worst movie of the year, well... let's just say you and I don't need to speak. :p

Honorable Mention for worst movie: Van Helsing (I didn't watch it actually, I couldn't bring myself to step anywhere near this movie).

Last edited:

Rabbi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Napoleon Dynamite
I got so much joy from this movie and it was completely original. It was probably the oddest movie I have ever seen and I don't doubt the studio's will try and make countless rip off's and it will get tiresome with time but for now, I love this movie.

2. Collateral
Tom Cruise was absolutely amazing in the movie as was Foxx. The movie had much more action than I thought it would and I rate this a much better movie than 'Bourne'.

3. Team America
Another hilarious movie that I didn't think would live up to it's potential but ended up surpassing it. I absolutely loved this movie.

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jim Carrey at his best. I also loved Winslet in this movie and she erased the bad taste in my mouth from Titanic. I thought this was a wonderful romance film and wasn't the least bit boring. The cinematography and directing was amazing.

5. King Arthur Unrated version, not the Theatrical release.
I thought this movie was a great and if not accurate, much more possible movie than the fairy tale version. It is also the first decent King Arthur movie in a LONG time, easing the pain a bit from the garbage filled 'First Knight' with Connery and Gere. Also the action in this flick was right on par with Braveheart (again, only in the unrated version.)

Honorable mentions:
Kill Bill v.II
Friday Night Lights
Garden State
Saw
Sideways

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My own top 5:

1. Lost in Translation By Sofia Coppola
Best romantic movie I saw in years, and with two great actors, promising young blood Scarlett Johansson and veteran Bill Murray,an hilarious fellow massively underrated.

2. House of Flying Daggers By Zhang Yimou
Simply because I'm a massive Wu Xia Pian (chinese sabre movies) fan. And because of Zhang Ziyi too :love:

3.Gerry By Gus Van Sant
Indie Cinema at it's best.

4. 2046 By Wong Kar Wai
Another brilliant romantic movie (jeez, whats happening to me?? :violin: )

5. Collateral By Michael Mann
Proves hollywood can still produce intelligent cinema.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boonierat said:
My own top 5:

1. Lost in Translation By Sofia Coppola
Best romantic movie I saw in years, and with two great actors, promising young blood Scarlett Johansson and veteran Bill Murray,an hilarious fellow massively underrated.
Great movie, except technically it was 2003. :D

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boonierat said:
True, as was Gerry. But both released 2004 in France ;)
Pfft, fine, we can go by local markets for everyone then! :D :p

Rabbi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, well in that case I add Hero.

Although it was released much earlier, here in the states it only got released this year. It was a beautiful film and the action was amazing. I think this should have been nominated as best foriegn movie and won, hands down.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rabbi said:

Although it was released much earlier, here in the states it only got released this year. It was a beautiful film and the action was amazing. I think this should have been nominated as best foriegn movie and won, hands down.
I thought it was all right but I wasn't that impressed personally. Visually very interesting, and the story was cool. Something about just didn't hit with me though.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
5 BEST:

1. The Passion of the Christ

2. Sideways

3. The Aviator

4. Napolean Dynamite

5. Ray

5 Worst:

1. Hero

2. Farenheit 9/11

3. Thunderbirds

4. Troy

5. Alexander

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've heard Sideways was incredible, I'm hoping to get some free time to see it soon, but not sure if that'll happen.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Rabbi said:

right on! I think Hero is the only memorable film that I watched in 2004. iirc Hero was made in 2002 and Miramax bought the distribution rights but sat on the film until 2004!

I've seen Yimou Zhang's work going on 15 years and I'm always impressed by his films...except for "ju dou (To Live)" where i had sympathy for the characters but the overall story was a bit depressing.

yeah, Ziyi Zhang is amazing (what happened to Gong Li?)!