Top contributors to the world of ASL

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The true unsung heroes are the significant others who tolerated their significant other spending so much time on SL/ASL.

Action Debbie made countless pots of coffee and hundreds of great meals to keep Fish and I going. I can't remember her complaining about it. Thanks dear!
In recent posts the Purist and Stavka both mentioned how their Mothers supported their efforts with ASL. This is a whole category of significant others that I overlooked in my original post. So kudos to all the Moms and Dads, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and grandparents who supported a young person and his/her desire to play ASL.?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Doctor S. Marc Silling. A name known only to me and Fish.

Doctor Marc introduced me to SL and his ad in The General's Opponents Wanted column is how Fish and I met. I'll leave it at that. Great guy but a lightweight when it came to refreshments. 🤪🤣🤗🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thought that I would bump this up. I was thinking about Doctor Marc after a post in the Teletanks thread. I recalled this thread for another post of mine and checking it out there was a post by me about Doctor Marc.

I thought at the time this was a very good thread. Still is IMO.

MGT

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a lot of unsung heroes of ASL. For an upcoming episode of IR I'm thinking of giving a shout out to the top contributors of ASL. The names that one day should have statues outside the halls of MMP.

Can I get some names, past or present, and I'll then maybe turn it into a poll or something to try to figure out a top 5 (maybe 10). I appreciate it's all subjective, and there's no rights or wrongs, but throw some names and accomplishments at me and let's see if between Martin and I we can come up with a list we can all get behind.
Vic Provost - DFTB. Carl Nogueira - articles and TD

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Could not agree with you more! Those guys back in the late 70s recognized a great game, helped it thrive and brought in the next generation of enthusiasts. All of us in those subsequent generations owe those guys a lot. Most of them are unknown or forgotten but because they embraced a game and kept buying into it ASL is here today.
This still rings true and was what I recalled when thinking about Doctor Marc.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Vic Provost - DFTB. Carl Nogueira - articles and TD
Thanks for whomever supports me, Tom Morin, Carl Nogueira and Dispatches from the Bunker for making our own mark in the hobby for the last 26+ years. (Total time in the historical gaming hobby for me, since D-Day in 1966, is 57 years and counting). Look for Dispatch #55 later next month...

Tesgora

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There are a lot of unsung heroes of ASL. For an upcoming episode of IR I'm thinking of giving a shout out to the top contributors of ASL. The names that one day should have statues outside the halls of MMP.

Can I get some names, past or present, and I'll then maybe turn it into a poll or something to try to figure out a top 5 (maybe 10). I appreciate it's all subjective, and there's no rights or wrongs, but throw some names and accomplishments at me and let's see if between Martin and I we can come up with a list we can all get behind.
I believe Steven Swann has not been mentioned so far in this thread. Yet he must be one of the longest serving ASL contributor having started with his series of articles and ASL scenarios on specific military units back in the days of Avalon Hill, followed by subsequent contributions to a number of third-party publishers such as Heat of Battle, Le Franc-Tireur, and Dispatches from the Bunker.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm thinking this could be an event at ASLOK for the ASL HALL OF FAME nomination and selection as that has been the largest get-together of ASL grognards for years. It could be either an open nomination and voting or a predesignated list and votes either "on site" or somehow previously made by the general ASL community. It would probably be better to keep the number of prospects/recipients low and make it an annual event. Who would be on the nomination/selection committee would of course have to be worked out as would be the criteria as well as where or how this information would be kept and brought forward in future years.