Top contributors to the world of ASL

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks so much, fighting the 'good fight' for this hobby is what I and my ASL Comrades do here in southern New England. You guys did an awesome job with Oktoberfest and will always be remembered for your efforts in doing so. Thanks for the kind words and continued good luck to you and everyone in the hobby, let's hope we are all still here for ftf play when this damn pandemic is over, in the meantime, VASL is the way to go much of the time. Be safe and well, Vic.
Thanks to you for your kind words. We got so much enjoyment from the hobby we just wanted to share the wealth. Keep up your good labors and I encourage everyone to maintain positive attitudes in these difficult times.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Without VASL I would have most likely stopped playing ASL a long time ago. I enjoy FTF gaming as much as anybody, but sometimes finding an opponent and coordinating time to play can be difficult. For these same reasons, I dropped out of SL in the early-1980s. I sold my SL gear and moved on. After a long gaming hiatus, I heard about ASL in 2001 and looked it up and bought the RB and BV. I got hooked, but opponents were (still) hard to find. I might have been on the same trajectory as my SL experience and given up. However, I found VASL. Introduction to VASL allows me to play people around the world, meet new people, play my FTF friends when we can't find 4-7 hour blocks of time, play in structured on-line tournaments, etc. I have likely played well over 325 games via VASL. I am sure this is not an uncommon theme for a meaningful subset of ASLers.

I would have to agree that the VASL crew deserve a prominent place in the ASL Hall of Fame.
Pretty much my story also. Now I can hook up with ASLers like myself all over the world. Trying to find ASLers in your local town can be pretty hard for most of us.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Better check your basement. Is there an unusual looking pod down there?????

Regardless, she plays ASL and if she can cook hang on to her!

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
She's a great cook to and a good ASL player. The last tournament we were in she did better than I did.
That is AWESOME!

Donna has played a couple scenarios but it is not really her thing. She has also played other games in the hobby but not really into it as much as Strat-O-Matic Baseball, as long as she gets the team she usually wants to play with (mostly various Red Sox or Cubs teams, I'm a Red Sox fan but gladly take the Yankees if that is going to get her to play, nice break for both of us at times).

Having a spouse play any board game with you is pretty cool for sure, that she plays ASL is amazing, Vic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
That is AWESOME!

Donna has played a couple scenarios but it is not really her thing. She has also played other games in the hobby but not really into it as much as Strat-O-Matic Baseball, as long as she gets the team she usually wants to play with (mostly various Red Sox or Cubs teams, I'm a Red Sox fan but gladly take the Yankees if that is going to get her to play, nice break for both of us at times).

Having a spouse play any board game with you is pretty cool for sure, that she plays ASL is amazing, Vic.
That is awesome that she plays Strato!! Fish and I would play when we needed a break from ASL. Fish was a Strato fanatic and big time collector. He would go to the company's " opening day " and had a first edition copy that even the Strato company didn't have a copy of. Some of his cards had been used so much they looked more like an hour glass than rectangles.

We liked the old time players best. We didn't play actual teams, more of a pick your players DYO. His team was the Connerski City Chiefs, a " doubles " team. Mine was the Java Junction Jicks, a home run team. Good times!

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
That is awesome that she plays Strato!! Fish and I would play when we needed a break from ASL. Fish was a Strato fanatic and big time collector. He would go to the company's " opening day " and had a first edition copy that even the Strato company didn't have a copy of. Some of his cards had been used so much they looked more like an hour glass than rectangles.

We liked the old time players best. We didn't play actual teams, more of a pick your players DYO. His team was the Connerski City Chiefs, a " doubles " team. Mine was the Java Junction Jicks, a home run team. Good times!
Good times indeed, I was a huge Strat fan back in the 1960s and 1970s then got the wargame bug and left that hobby for several decades.

I got the itch to give it a try again and glad I did, one of the great game families of all time, especially the Baseball version.

I play the Red Sox - Yankees, Dodgers-Giants and Cubs-Cardinals of various eras and always have a great time. She loves the game as well, though I only play the basic game with her, advanced versions I do myself.

A nice diversion from ASL and wargaming in general. Tom Morin also loves War of the Rings (he created a cool variant for it), Star Wars Rebellion and Vikings from Academy Games, all great diversions from our usual game fair.

Have fun with ASL and Strat-O-Matic Baseball, I sure do, Vic.

P.S. That Babe Ruth card from the 1921 Yankees is as scary as it gets for opposing pitchers...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Good times indeed, I was a huge Strat fan back in the 1960s and 1970s then got the wargame bug and left that hobby for several decades.

I got the itch to give it a try again and glad I did, one of the great game families of all time, especially the Baseball version.

I play the Red Sox - Yankees, Dodgers-Giants and Cubs-Cardinals of various eras and always have a great time. She loves the game as well, though I only play the basic game with her, advanced versions I do myself.

A nice diversion from ASL and wargaming in general. Tom Morin also loves War of the Rings (he created a cool variant for it), Star Wars Rebellion and Vikings from Academy Games, all great diversions from our usual game fair.

Have fun with ASL and Strat-O-Matic Baseball, I sure do, Vic.

P.S. That Babe Ruth card from the 1921 Yankees is as scary as it gets for opposing pitchers...
Had The Babe on the JJJs but the player who did the most damage to the CCCs was Paul Waner, a really good player for the Yankees but against Fish he was a superstar. It got to the point where Fish called him Mr. Wonderful! Lmao.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Every time my wife walks by I ask....................."Do you wanna play Germans?"
and she replies...................."I don't play with Losers"
Lmao! Good attitude!

IMO they wouldn't have blown up the railway car where WWI peace treaty was signed if they thought they were winners.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Had The Babe on the JJJs but the player who did the most damage to the CCCs was Paul Waner, a really good player for the Yankees but against Fish he was a superstar. It got to the point where Fish called him Mr. Wonderful! Lmao.
Yes indeed, and in my experience if Ruth does not get you then Lou Gehrig almost always does. Most lethal duo by far in all the games I've played over many years. If the 1950 Red Sox only had pitching, LOL! Their hitting stats are insane, Vic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes indeed, and in my experience if Ruth does not get you then Lou Gehrig almost always does. Most lethal duo by far in all the games I've played over many years. If the 1950 Red Sox only had pitching, LOL! Their hitting stats are insane, Vic.
Fish had tons more playing time in than I did and had some players cards memorized. Ty Cobb was one of his favorites.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a thread/poll on this topic started a few days ago.
Gamesquad ASLers are in no way representative of other ASLers (except in their ages!). There are huge numbers of ASLers who are not part of the ASL "scene" at all and typically just play one or two local opponents only.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would have to wonder if even half of ASL players have heard of VASL.
The unknown is how many people actually play ASL. Without that information everything else is just speculation. I'm not even sure if it's possible that know that figure. I suppose copies sold would give a starting point, obviously does not equate to the number of actual players.

Your point is well taken. How does a person learn that VASL exits?

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Your point is well taken. How does a person learn that VASL exits?
They learn about it here, on Facebook ASL groups, in wargamer videos on YouTube, individuals and businesses, podcasts for gamers, etc.

If you have any interest in Advanced Squad Leader and do online searches, you will soon learn about it. I doubt anybody is trying to hide it, and many promote it.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
They learn about it here, on Facebook ASL groups, in wargamer videos on YouTube, individuals and businesses, podcasts for gamers, etc.

If you have any interest in Advanced Squad Leader and do online searches, you will soon learn about it. I doubt anybody is trying to hide it, and many promote it.
What I would have expected. Thanks!