Top contributors to the world of ASL

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A nice idea but too much of an investment in time and treasure. A lot of stuff going on and the desire to play is still just a spark.
I reckon we will be protecting that spark and 'just happen' to let drop some tinder close to it. ;)

We noticed that you have been quite active around here the last couple of weeks 'sparking' numerous interesting threads and 'firing off' some nice stories and tales from the good old days of early ASL that some of us had not the privilege to be part of.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
By gawd, you are right!

Consequently, I have added them to my post further upthread.

Eigth come the siginifcant others that tolerate our capers:
Inspired by Actionjick, I had to (wasn't that supposed to be something about knights to impress ladies by jousting?) .

von Marwitz
I reckon we will be protecting that spark and 'just happen' to let drop some tinder close to it. ;)

We noticed that you have been quite active around here the last couple of weeks 'sparking' numerous interesting threads and 'firing off' some nice stories and tales from the good old days of early ASL that some of us had not the privilege to be part of.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Lol thanks! The von Marwitticists genes are definitely dominant in you. Have been pretty active, just trying to distract myself from the real world. ?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I feel like doing a parachute scenario. Has anybody done the one in the Corrigedor HASL?
They're great fun. I have not done the Corregidor one. But I've had a blast over the years with Para and Glider landings.

Give the Crete module by HOB a run. You'll not be disappointed.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having a blast with AP132 Night Of Nights but then again Curtis Brooks & I have almost always enjoyed every Para/Glider scenario we've had at. Top contender so far has been DB093 Thunder From Heaven (both Para & Glider)-good stuff indeed.?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I feel like doing a parachute scenario. Has anybody done the one in the Corrigedor HASL?
Hi Dan, good choice, we just published 4 paradrop/glider scenarios in Dispatches from the Bunker
Issues #48 & 49. If you like PTO with multiple Japanese reinforcements coming from all directions,
going after elite Chinese paratroopers with USA advisers then Green Apples should fit the bill.

If you feel like a fire bug intent on destroying a German AFV depot via dropping from the sky then
the Russian Commandos in Daredevil Desantniki should light your fire.

Or maybe a somewhat larger action by British paratroopers trying to capture the Three Little Bridges
in late war Germany might do.

Lastly we have a true monster paratroop/glider landing at Maleme, Crete in Falschirmjager Graveyard
which is large enough for team play and a ton of FUN.

Carl Nogueira has articles in both issues on Paratroops and Gliders to help get those who have not ripped
the cord to get their foot out the plane door and into any of the above.

Whatever scenario you choose, whether one of these or from MMP or another source, have FUN and I hope you roll low, Vic.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Having a blast with AP132 Night Of Nights but then again Curtis Brooks & I have almost always enjoyed every Para/Glider scenario we've had at. Top contender so far has been DB093 Thunder From Heaven (both Para & Glider)-good stuff indeed.?
Thanks for mentioning DB093 Thunder From Heaven, another one that was all kinds of fun in playtesting and would sure fit the bill, Vic.

phlegm027

Reaction score
Hi Dan, good choice, we just published 4 paradrop/glider scenarios in Dispatches from the Bunker
Issues #48 & 49. If you like PTO with multiple Japanese reinforcements coming from all directions,
going after elite Chinese paratroopers with USA advisers then Green Apples should fit the bill.

If you feel like a fire bug intent on destroying a German AFV depot via dropping from the sky then
the Russian Commandos in Daredevil Desantniki should light your fire.

Or maybe a somewhat larger action by British paratroopers trying to capture the Three Little Bridges
in late war Germany might do.

Lastly we have a true monster paratroop/glider landing at Maleme, Crete in Falschirmjager Graveyard
which is large enough for team play and a ton of FUN.

Carl Nogueira has articles in both issues on Paratroops and Gliders to help get those who have not ripped
the cord to get their foot out the plane door and into any of the above.

Whatever scenario you choose, whether one of these or from MMP or another source, have FUN and I hope you roll low, Vic.
Thanks Vic!

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The creation of VASL is by far the biggest contributor to ASL. Without it I cannot imagine ASL being as vibrant as it is. Many would be stuck with no opponents. VASL ranks right up there with the creation of Squad Leader itself.

I know all the other efforts beyond VASL are spectacular. I get it. I'm also an IT guy so I can vaguely appreciate the complexity and effort that has gone into the combo of VASSAL/VASL.
I probably would have given up ASL years ago if not for VASL. Of my 667 games completed, 353 have been VASL or VASL PBEM.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The creation of VASL is by far the biggest contributor to ASL. Without it I cannot imagine ASL being as vibrant as it is. Many would be stuck with no opponents. VASL ranks right up there with the creation of Squad Leader itself.

I know all the other efforts beyond VASL are spectacular. I get it. I'm also an IT guy so I can vaguely appreciate the complexity and effort that has gone into the combo of VASSAL/VASL.
If vibrancy is measured by the amount of scenarios being played the old days were much more vibrant. The how many scenarios do you play a year poll indicates 77% of respondents play one scenario a week or less. 44% play less than 26 scenarios a year. Mark Nixon approached that total at one Oktoberfest. Then again Mark was a machine when it came to playing. That was bitd when Oktoberfest was a three or four day event.

Last edited:

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If vibrancy is measured by the amount of scenarios being played the old days were much more vibrant. The how many scenarios do you play a year poll indicates 77% of respondents play one scenario a week or less. 44% play less than 26 scenarios a year. Mark Nixon approached that total at one Oktoberfest. Then again Mark was a machine when it came to playing.
I think you just need the right circumstances/atmosphere....in 2018 I went to ASLOK and roomed with Darryl Lundy (we have both been a few times before). We arrived extra-early , visited the USAF museum at Dayton then started playing on Friday 28 Sept. My last game was on Sunday 7 October. I finished 21 games vs 17 different opponents, Darryl finished about 24-ish. When you travel that far you have to get your $$$$ worth. Good times.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think you just need the right circumstances/atmosphere....in 2018 I went to ASLOK and roomed with Darryl Lundy (we have both been a few times before). We arrived extra-early , visited the USAF museum at Dayton then started playing on Friday 28 Sept. My last game was on Sunday 7 October. I finished 21 games vs 17 different opponents, Darryl finished about 24-ish. When you travel that far you have to get your $$$$ worth. Good times.
Well done to both of you!!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I would say Pete Phillips in the UK editor of the longest running ASL fanzine, also tourney organiser for two of the UKs tournaments .

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Neil Stevens , the guy that got the ASL tourney scene started all these long years ago and at one point the Go To man for all things TPP in the U.K.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would guess that more than half of ASL players use VASL. Maybe not solely, but it's at least as prevalent at FtF.

There is a thread/poll on this topic started a few days ago.
Right here.

Of course, this being a forum in the net, these polls are always somewhat biased in favor of the 'electronic' side.
Yet, although a staunch supporter and user of VASL, I was surprised that (currently as of 10.08.2020) only less than 20% of around 90 participants have NOT used VASL.

von Marwitz

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Right here.

Of course, this being a forum in the net, these polls are always somewhat biased in favor of the 'electronic' side.
Yet, although a staunch supporter and user of VASL, I was surprised that (currently as of 10.08.2020) only less than 20% of around 90 participants have NOT used VASL.

von Marwitz
It's a very small (and selective) sampling to be sure, but nonetheless interesting, inspired by Mark's typically bold pronouncement in which he declared that "VASL is certainly an achievement but most ASLers probably don't even use it ."

To be fair he hedged with not just one, but three weasel words:
  • "most" - is that 50% +1? 75%?
  • "probably"
  • "ASLer" - is this someone who actively plays? Used to play? Buys (but doesn't play)? Lurks on forums like this?
A better way to calculate VASL usage as a percentage of ASL players (or more accurately, purchasers) would be to compare VASL log-in data to sales figures. That too is imperfect but would be closer to scientific than a random sample of hard core fans (which I believe this site provides).