Top contributors to the world of ASL

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The creation of VASL is by far the biggest contributor to ASL. Without it I cannot imagine ASL being as vibrant as it is. Many would be stuck with no opponents. VASL ranks right up there with the creation of Squad Leader itself.

I know all the other efforts beyond VASL are spectacular. I get it. I'm also an IT guy so I can vaguely appreciate the complexity and effort that has gone into the combo of VASSAL/VASL.
I agree that VASAL is especially important in these days but would have to point out that ASL was pretty vibrant in the pre-internet period. As an IT guy I understand your perspective and vibrancy is probably a matter of opinion.

That being said I will repeat what I've posted before that I believe VASL and it's cousins is what will keep board games alive. At some point in the future most gaming will be online but there will still be ftf. There's nothing like smelling the fear of your opponent!

However you play roll low and good luck!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would say everyone that plays this or had played SL/ASL. WE keep it alive.
Could not agree with you more! Those guys back in the late 70s recognized a great game, helped it thrive and brought in the next generation of enthusiasts. All of us in those subsequent generations owe those guys a lot. Most of them are unknown or forgotten but because they embraced a game and kept buying into it ASL is here today.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Don't disagree with VASL's importance but to add to Action's comment - solo play was a real thing pre-internet. It probably still is. A number of sources suggest it used to be the most common method for wargamers to indulge in the hobby. Not the preferred method, but the one many were left with. Not having an opponent wasn't an impediment and in many quarters still isn't.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The creation of VASL is by far the biggest contributor to ASL. Without it I cannot imagine ASL being as vibrant as it is. Many would be stuck with no opponents. VASL ranks right up there with the creation of Squad Leader itself.

I know all the other efforts beyond VASL are spectacular. I get it. I'm also an IT guy so I can vaguely appreciate the complexity and effort that has gone into the combo of VASSAL/VASL.
I think VASL will be the biggest contributor to what ASL will become.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The true unsung heroes are the significant others who tolerated their significant other spending so much time on SL/ASL.

Action Debbie made countless pots of coffee and hundreds of great meals to keep Fish and I going. I can't remember her complaining about it. Thanks dear!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The true unsung heroes are the significant others who tolerated their significant other spending so much time on SL/ASL.

Action Debbie made countless pots of coffee and hundreds of great meals to keep Fish and I going. I can't remember her complaining about it. Thanks dear!
When that really kicks in is when she's listening to the "Pow. Pow! Pew, Pew!" or the "KABOOM! Now take that ya little bugger!" and they just look over their shoulder, turn , shake their head and walk on by without saying a word.:giggle:?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada

That's cuz' Action Debbie was probably happy her mahn was playing some silly game in the den or basement rather than in a gurly bar or out playing Hockey three nights a week and coming home smelling of beer,.... and bar gurlz. ?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
By gawd, you are right!

Consequently, I have added them to my post further upthread.

Eigth come the siginifcant others that tolerate our capers:
Inspired by Actionjick, I had to add them. If they wouldn't put up with our childs-play, ASLers couldn't play or contribute. It must be hard to endure grown men making tank noises, ordering yet another box full of cardboard that almost looks like all the others for 150 $ upwards apiece, clipping countless counters (for what ?!), adding yet more pounds by gobbling down fast-food since 'there is no time for a real meal' while attending those 'tournaments' (wasn't that supposed to be something about knights to impress ladies by jousting?) .

von Marwitz

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I don't see this at all. VASL is certainly an achievement but most ASLers probably don't even use it. But something like the invention of campaign games had a tremendous effect on ASL.

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
I don't see this at all. VASL is certainly an achievement but most ASLers probably don't even use it. But something like the invention of campaign games had a tremendous effect on ASL.
Yeah, but the people who do VASL do so out of love for the game. Lots of third party guys are out for skrilla. That gives them a boost IMO.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
vASL might be something the importance of which, people whom have been strongly affected by it, probably over-estimate.

For me, personally, vASL got me back into ASL after 20 years of married bliss with a wife who thought wargames were stupid and controlled me to an extent that I could not play (until I killed her and buried her under a pillar on a raised area of the M62 got divorced). vASL brought me back into the fold. Encouraged me to step back into the FtF scene, then the FtF tournament scene. And I now run one of the three UK tournaments and have made some very good friends within the community. And I battle to remain in the top echelons of the UK league tables, having been absolutely crap at the game during my original run at it.

So, for me, vASL was THE major game changer in my life. But, as you say, most ASL players don't use it and probably never have.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Unscientific, but I'm curious about the level of VASL use so I started a poll here.

I've had a couple of returns to ASL following my first experiences with it in high school. GJK got me back into it via both the ASLSK and VASL about 10 years ago, and I had another return about 4 years ago when @Dasvadonya reconnected and we again used the ASLSK and VASL to get back into it.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Without VASL there would be no Dispatches from the Bunker, plain and simple.

It was what kept things together when Tom moved to FL and I moved up to the Berkshires and now in Pittsfield,
without it I would have thrown in the towel years ago without Tom and other Bunker crewmen nearby.

VASL is an awesome tool and a decent substitute for ftf play when a real opponent is not available for ftf, there is no
reason if you can't find ftf opponents nearby not to take the plunge and give it a try. Many opponents await if you do,
and it is just plain ASL FUN for sure, the software is not that hard to install or use.

I am old school and would prefer ftf play but VASL works in a pinch, and helps keep Dispatches going, Vic.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Without VASL there would be no Dispatches from the Bunker, plain and simple.

It was what kept things together when Tom moved to FL and I moved up to the Berkshires and now in Pittsfield,
without it I would have thrown in the towel years ago without Tom and other Bunker crewmen nearby.

VASL is an awesome tool and a decent substitute for ftf play when a real opponent is not available for ftf, there is no
reason if you can't find ftf opponents nearby not to take the plunge and give it a try. Many opponents await if you do,
and it is just plain ASL FUN for sure, the software is not that hard to install or use.

I am old school and would prefer ftf play but VASL works in a pinch, and helps keep Dispatches going, Vic.
I prefer vASL than FtF.

And I LOVE FtF play

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We really should send Rodney some money. Tell you what. Send it to me and I'll hold it for us while we look for him.
Great, send me your bank, routing, and account number. I'll gladly "make a transfer." Not saying which direction ...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
vASL might be something the importance of which, people whom have been strongly affected by it, probably over-estimate.

For me, personally, vASL got me back into ASL after 20 years of married bliss with a wife who thought wargames were stupid and controlled me to an extent that I could not play (until I killed her and buried her under a pillar on a raised area of the M62 got divorced). vASL brought me back into the fold. Encouraged me to step back into the FtF scene, then the FtF tournament scene. And I now run one of the three UK tournaments and have made some very good friends within the community. And I battle to remain in the top echelons of the UK league tables, having been absolutely crap at the game during my original run at it.

So, for me, vASL was THE major game changer in my life. But, as you say, most ASL players don't use it and probably never have.
Lol, apparently not all significant others tolerated their SO playing ASL.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
walk on by without saying a word.:giggle:?
If only it were so now. Sigh. The good old days.

Perhaps a reason to think about playing ASL again but it would have to be VASL. Not quite the same effect as having another human in the room as a calming influence.

A nice idea but too much of an investment in time and treasure. A lot of stuff going on and the desire to play is still just a spark.

Last edited: