Top contributors to the world of ASL

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Lots of variables and unknowns. I'm sure the one million figure includes all the modules and the important estimate would be how many copies of the ASLRB and BV were sold. Will have to discuss this with Captain Bacchus tonight.
Don't forget all the people on this site alone who have admitted to buying multiple copies of each module - hoarding, in other words. No idea how common that is either, but some have admitted to as many as three or more of the same module.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget all the people on this site alone who have admitted to buying multiple copies of each module - hoarding, in other words. No idea how common that is either, but some have admitted to as many as three or more of the same module.
Yes, a good point. Assuming most of the one million sold is ASL, let's guesstimate 800,000 copies. What percentage of that is ASLRB/BV? Let's say 40% so 320,000. Make it 340,000. @ 34 years ASL has been out, so about 10,000 copies a year sold. Figure an attrition rate of 50% so maybe 170,000 players still active. What percentage of them know about VASL? All just speculation but sort of a starting point.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I replaced my 1.0 ALSRB with the 2nd Edition. Never bought the pocket size, but I get a sense that many people who own either 1st or 2nd edition have. Lots of multiple sales to account for even without hoarding - I bought For King and Country despite already having West of Alamein. Plenty of other reprints and repackagings - Yanks, DB, Rising Sun, DASL, etc.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes, a good point. Assuming most of the one million sold is ASL, let's guesstimate 800,000 copies. What percentage of that is ASLRB/BV? Let's say 40% so 320,000. Make it 340,000. @ 34 years ASL has been out, so about 10,000 copies a year sold. Figure an attrition rate of 50% so maybe 170,000 players still active. What percentage of them know about VASL? All just speculation but sort of a starting point.
I think of all these guesstimates the attrition rate is the most inaccurate, possibly more like 75%. Of the four others in the Kent area I knew who played SL/ASL none stayed with the system or moved past BV. Does not count Fish as he lived in Youngstown area.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
An attrition rate of 75% leaves @ 85000 players still active in some sense. Seems like a very large number but at least something to work with.

Still a pointless exercise but I've always been intrigued by such things. Fish always laughed about me charting the number of attendees at Oktoberfest.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I recently heard that Facebook, like our dirty Canuck "friends," eats babies! so I will no longer be using it... other than to be annoying & hopefully be making my friends laff! ;)

PS perverts! :mad:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
oh & thank you for all my special scenario contributions! I just can't accept this trophy! ?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
mmm so few!?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
6 x BV, 4 x WoA, 4 x AoO, 3 x Y, 3 x CoB, 3 x GH, 3 x CdG, ... ... minimum 2 of magazines, HASL, APs, etc.

Admittedly many bought in a local closing down sale.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
6 x BV, 4 x WoA, 4 x AoO, 3 x Y, 3 x CoB, 3 x GH, 3 x CdG, ... ... minimum 2 of magazines, HASL, APs, etc.

Admittedly many bought in a local closing down sale.
Lol. Well my guesstimates didn't take such collecting into account.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Man . .. the number of times I see comments on social media going “Oh! Lifted my left armpit and found a mint copy of Tarawa! Cant remember how I got it ...”
What makes me laugh is the people that buy the extra copies to make a killing later on then when MMP announces a reprint coming soon the pristine unopened copies start to come up for sale to try and make the killing then, most people have now decided to give those a miss and wait for the reprint .

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Man . .. the number of times I see comments on social media going “Oh! Lifted my left armpit and found a mint copy of Tarawa! Cant remember how I got it ...”
Ode to a small lump of green putty I found in my armpit one midsummer morning.
Grunthos

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Lol. Well my guesstimates didn't take such collecting into account.
My biggest numbers were mainly around the time AH was going tits up, a fair few at half price and I wanted more than 6 of any vehicle. All of those except a single "spare" ended in my counter trays. These days I get one and a spare (cats, coffee, etc), except for the revamps like Y2 with only one.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Decent point. I think I have 3 ASLRB 1st edition, gave away another one, 2 ASLRB 2nd edition, the Pocket ASLRB.
Just in case...

With regard to the modules I have a set of 1st editions and the reprints (as far as they are available). Not hoarding but having determined that a 'double' OoB is useful for vehicles and that the 2nd edition counters are much better die cut, which makes handling stacks of them with tweezers much easier.

Funny, since I am using an eASLRB these days almost exclusively except for the charts.

von Marwitz