Top 10 Favorite Original AH Scenarios

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What are your top 10 of Avalon Hill published scenarios. For those of us that only have the original modules and Annuals and have not/can't catch up to all the newer stuff.

buser333

Reaction score
I had 5 in my original list (WCW1 having been published as G40), so my remaining 5 would be:

#6 - ASLL Hitdorf on the Rhine. My favorite scenarios tend to be either infantry-only or ones where AFVs play a supporting role rather than being the focal point. This has a small German force defending a village with quite a few mines. Both sides have OBA, and the Germans get much-needed reinforcements (with a couple tanks) to either help them continue to hold out or switch to the offensive to recapture lost ground.

#7 - ASL1 Fighting Withdrawal. Everybody likes a little fire and wind now and then. Ammo shortage, HIP units, the need for the Russians to weigh shooting rather than scooting, and my favorite ASL force - the Finns.

#8 - AP8 A Bloody Harvest. This always comes right down to the wire. A great lesson in the importance of moving vs. shooting as the attacker.

#9 - ASL4 The Commissar's House.
Just a big city brawl, with the Germans chalk full of awesome SWs and fantastic firepower. But their objective is a densely-packed multi-level fortified building. No easy task.

#10 - ASLC The Streets of Stalingrad. I love both Guards Counterattack and The Tractor Works. This one combines them both, and throws in a few vehicles and freedom of front-shifting to boot.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not necessarily in any order:

6 Red Packets
8 The Fugitives
A80 Commando Schenke
A104 In Front of the Storm
11 Defiance on Hill 30
A47 White Tigers
77 Le Herisson
23 Under the Noel Trees
17 Lost Opportunities
86 Fighting Back

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Guards Counterattack is a classic, but I assume everyone agrees it's just a darn good scenario.

And as posted in the all time thread, ASL 10 The Citadel.
It's a real tough one, but the one I remember playing it better than anything else, so it must have been a great experience all those years ago.

The dual paradrop scenario set in Sicily was fun, I don't remember the scenario number.
We played it at least three times back then: the first time the drops got botched for some reason so we started over, then played again some time later switching sides to get the full experience.

And again, RB CG III.....:)
I'd play any of these again without hesitation.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bucholz Station (ASL Classic) even after all these years, still a fave
Defiance on Hill 30 (Paratrooper) - one of my favorite paratrooper scenarios
White Tigers (Annual 92)- as per the toher thread
Cold Crocodiles (Annual 90) - love those FT tanks!
The Fugitives (Beyond Valor)- really captures the feel of those rats scurrying out of Berlin
On the Kokoda Trail (Code of Bushido) A big Japanese v Aussie figth in New Guinea
Jungle Citadel( Gung Ho) Chinese v Japs with all the toys. Air Support, hordes of soldiers, Foritified Buildings - good times
Zon with The Wind (ASL annual 91) I love this little Market Garden campaign and I have played this first entry a bunch of times. Though the US airborne have the edge and the Guns can realistically only go in like two spots - I have won it with the Germans more than once if the attack is too cautious early
Turned Away (Red Barricades) As many have noted
Acts of Defiance (ASL Annual 95) there's a reason it keeps turning up
The Bushmaters (Code) as per my other post

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let us see...
1. Acts of Defiance
2. Among the Ruins
3. One Down, Two to Go
4. Wintergewitter
5. Dreil Team
6. Huns of Steel (Hell just the name says Yes!)
7. khamsin
8. Hill 621
9. Round One
10. Block Busting in Bokruisk

My 10 not in any order. (subject to change as soon as I have a nap...) I kind of like the old scenarios that were counter dense. Plus a few that just struck me as fun.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope. It didn't port well, IMO. Only played it once, so maybe repeated playings help?

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In no particular order:

Among the Ruins, 21

Silence That Gun, 14

The Liberation of Tulle, 27

Buchholz Station, Gen – I

White Tigers, A 47

Valhalla Bound, A 74

Fighting Withdraw, 1

The Bushmasters, 66

With Flame and Shell, DASL 7

Sicilian Midnight, DASL 11

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As mentioned in the other thread about scenarios aging, I am not sure that some of these would be as good again as they were as I was getting my sea legs under me in ASL but I sure enjoyed them when I played them. For those that may not be the most balanced it is always fun to give a less experienced player the advantage...

G33 The Awakening of Spring
G34 The Liberators
35 Blazin' Chariots
G6 Rockets Red Glare
A25 Cold Crocodiles
D8 The Schoolhouse
GD-A To The Last Man
43 Into the Fray
132 Hill 253.5
75 Strangers in a Strange Land

Last edited: