Top 10 Favorite Original AH Scenarios

Discussion in 'Advanced Squad Leader' started by Ric of The LBC, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:32 PM.

1. Ric of The LBC

Ric of The LBC New Member

Oct 22, 2017
    What are your top 10 of Avalon Hill published scenarios. For those of us that only have the original modules and Annuals and have not/can't catch up to all the newer stuff.

2. buser333

buser333 Active Member

Jun 24, 2013
    central WI
    I had 5 in my original list (WCW1 having been published as G40), so my remaining 5 would be:

#6 - ASLL Hitdorf on the Rhine. My favorite scenarios tend to be either infantry-only or ones where AFVs play a supporting role rather than being the focal point. This has a small German force defending a village with quite a few mines. Both sides have OBA, and the Germans get much-needed reinforcements (with a couple tanks) to either help them continue to hold out or switch to the offensive to recapture lost ground.

#7 - ASL1 Fighting Withdrawal. Everybody likes a little fire and wind now and then. Ammo shortage, HIP units, the need for the Russians to weigh shooting rather than scooting, and my favorite ASL force - the Finns.

#8 - AP8 A Bloody Harvest. This always comes right down to the wire. A great lesson in the importance of moving vs. shooting as the attacker.

#9 - ASL4 The Commissar's House.
    Just a big city brawl, with the Germans chalk full of awesome SWs and fantastic firepower. But their objective is a densely-packed multi-level fortified building. No easy task.

#10 - ASLC The Streets of Stalingrad. I love both Guards Counterattack and The Tractor Works. This one combines them both, and throws in a few vehicles and freedom of front-shifting to boot.

kcole4001 and Ric of The LBC like this.
  3. jrv

jrv Vare, legiones redde!

May 25, 2005
    Teutoburger Wald
  4. Roy

Roy Living in Brownbackistan

Oct 1, 2003
    Wichita
    Not necessarily in any order:

6 Red Packets
    8 The Fugitives
    A80 Commando Schenke
    A104 In Front of the Storm
    11 Defiance on Hill 30
    A47 White Tigers
    77 Le Herisson
    23 Under the Noel Trees
    17 Lost Opportunities
    86 Fighting Back

Ric of The LBC likes this.
  5. Sparafucil3

Sparafucil3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Oct 7, 2004
    USA
    Piercing the Peel was far better. -- jim

Swiftandsure likes this.
  6. Honza

Honza The Art Of Wargames Silver Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Oxfordshire
    Yeah the redo ruined it.....

7. Ric of The LBC

Ric of The LBC New Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Is that the one with tanks and FBs. 3 turns?

8. Guards Counterattack is a classic, but I assume everyone agrees it's just a darn good scenario.

And as posted in the all time thread, ASL 10 The Citadel.
    It's a real tough one, but the one I remember playing it better than anything else, so it must have been a great experience all those years ago.

The dual paradrop scenario set in Sicily was fun, I don't remember the scenario number.
    We played it at least three times back then: the first time the drops got botched for some reason so we started over, then played again some time later switching sides to get the full experience.

And again, RB CG III.....:)
    I'd play any of these again without hesitation.

9. Paul M. Weir

Paul M. Weir Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Yes, a AH General Scenario, G41.

Ric of The LBC and Honza like this.
  10. ChrisM

ChrisM Active Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Mineola, NY
    Bucholz Station (ASL Classic) even after all these years, still a fave
    Defiance on Hill 30 (Paratrooper) - one of my favorite paratrooper scenarios
    White Tigers (Annual 92)- as per the toher thread
    Cold Crocodiles (Annual 90) - love those FT tanks!
    The Fugitives (Beyond Valor)- really captures the feel of those rats scurrying out of Berlin
    On the Kokoda Trail (Code of Bushido) A big Japanese v Aussie figth in New Guinea
    Jungle Citadel( Gung Ho) Chinese v Japs with all the toys. Air Support, hordes of soldiers, Foritified Buildings - good times
    Zon with The Wind (ASL annual 91) I love this little Market Garden campaign and I have played this first entry a bunch of times. Though the US airborne have the edge and the Guns can realistically only go in like two spots - I have won it with the Germans more than once if the attack is too cautious early
    Turned Away (Red Barricades) As many have noted
    Acts of Defiance (ASL Annual 95) there's a reason it keeps turning up
    The Bushmaters (Code) as per my other post

11. jimfer

jimfer Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Fort Worth Texas
    Let us see...
    1. Acts of Defiance
    2. Among the Ruins
    3. One Down, Two to Go
    4. Wintergewitter
    5. Dreil Team
    6. Huns of Steel (Hell just the name says Yes!)
    7. khamsin
    8. Hill 621
    9. Round One
    10. Block Busting in Bokruisk

My 10 not in any order. (subject to change as soon as I have a nap...) I kind of like the old scenarios that were counter dense. Plus a few that just struck me as fun.