Too Much ASL, not enough space

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I looked at empty ASL boxes for years. And probably four feet worth of bookcase space for the scenario binders. And not to mention the 3 bankers boxes filled with Annuals, Journals, Special Ops, BFP and LFT magazines, and SP/Rally Point. Then, I realized that I physically accessed this stuff almost never, because I had scanned every single page of it (okay, except for the boxes). It was time to let go - started with the boxes to the recycling center. Then the bankers boxes, and finally the scenario binders. Very liberating, plus nobody has to go through my stuff and pitch it later on.
Good job but the boxes do make nice wall art for the gaming room, man cave or she shed!😊

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I looked at empty ASL boxes for years. And probably four feet worth of bookcase space for the scenario binders. And not to mention the 3 bankers boxes filled with Annuals, Journals, Special Ops, BFP and LFT magazines, and SP/Rally Point. Then, I realized that I physically accessed this stuff almost never, because I had scanned every single page of it (okay, except for the boxes). It was time to let go - started with the boxes to the recycling center. Then the bankers boxes, and finally the scenario binders. Very liberating, plus nobody has to go through my stuff and pitch it later on.
Good man. It's liberating no? I have begun to ask vendors if they will share the original in PDF with me for cost rather than mailing it. Depends on who you work with. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, apparently for some people here, letting go (of some) of their physical ASL kit is the right solution.
Many of these seem to be grognards. Maybe they do still attend tournaments now and then.

Against this background, I want to make the following proposal to them:

Instead of throwing away your kit, how about bringing it to the tournaments (provided you can reach them by car and are able to transport them). There you can just give them away, preferrably to new players or those that are lacking or even desparately searching for such kit?

I might be the best of both worlds as it will save the person 'giving up' the kit he liked for so many years the eerie feeling of throwing it away. On the other hand, he can make people really happy with it. This might letting go become easier and a 'good deed' at the same time.

Maybe even TDs could encourage this in their invitations: "Listen, you old farts. ASLOK XLI will be held soon. Wanna get rid of your old stuff but not throw it away? Bring it to ASLOK and give it to players that care about it instead." Something in that line. It might tip one or the other to do it who has played with the thought.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well, apparently for some people here, letting go (of some) of their physical ASL kit is the right solution.
Many of these seem to be grognards. Maybe they do still attend tournaments now and then.

Against this background, I want to make the following proposal to them:

Instead of throwing away your kit, how about bringing it to the tournaments (provided you can reach them by car and are able to transport them). There you can just give them away, preferrably to new players or those that are lacking or even desparately searching for such kit?

I might be the best of both worlds as it will save the person 'giving up' the kit he liked for so many years the eerie feeling of throwing it away. On the other hand, he can make people really happy with it. This might letting go become easier and a 'good deed' at the same time.

Maybe even TDs could encourage this in their invitations: "Listen, you old farts. ASLOK XLI will be held soon. Wanna get rid of your old stuff but not throw it away? Bring it to ASLOK and give it to players that care about it instead." Something in that line. It might tip one or the other to do it who has played with the thought.

von Marwitz
A good idea for those able to take extra kit with them.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Because I keep a copy of the paper in digital format it wouldn't be fair to the producers. That's why I don't. I couldn't give away my old, hard boards. I couldn't give away old counters. I tried but in the end, I am only willing to work so hard to simply give away something. -- jim

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I hear and acknowledge all the comments both for and against giving away the older stuff. But I have lots of space for it myself. I guess I am too emotionally attached to the hard components to give them away. I am recycling my older parts by giving them to my son-in-law to get him more into the game though. That is how I am justifying to myself to get a new RS...so I can gift him my old GH and CoB! 😂
Still, I don't need another 4 inch box from MMP with it! It drives the shipping cost up exponentially for no good reason. Can MMP please in future release their mods in both a hard box, and Zip lock version so people can choose?

csiemers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently I have enough room for all the brick and brack of my ASL collection. But it may come to a head when in 4 - 5 years hope to be retired and likely looking to downsize house. So I better get all my playing in now otherwise it'll likely get e'bay'ed (or its equivalent) then!

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because I keep a copy of the paper in digital format it wouldn't be fair to the producers. That's why I don't. I couldn't give away my old, hard boards. I couldn't give away old counters. I tried but in the end, I am only willing to work so hard to simply give away something. -- jim
exactly

chief2000

Reaction score
Recently I whittled down my entire game collection (S&T, Avalanche, et. al) from about 170 to 50+. I asked myself "What do I play most often? What do I truly have fun playing? It took a lot for me to get it on ebay (that is a lot of work, I know!) but once I did and sold most of it (the rest I gave away) I now have over eight hundred dollars I have been able to give to folks who need it - the poor and those suffering from disasters. Now THAT's a great feeling!

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Recently I whittled down my entire game collection (S&T, Avalanche, et. al) from about 170 to 50+. I asked myself "What do I play most often? What do I truly have fun playing? It took a lot for me to get it on ebay (that is a lot of work, I know!) but once I did and sold most of it (the rest I gave away) I now have over a thousand dollars I can give to folks who need it - the poor and those suffering from disasters. Now THAT's a great feeling!
Well done Sir! Your generosity is admirable and commendable!

chief2000

Reaction score
Thanks, my awesome friends, but I confess that it is easy for me to hoard. Many games I used in class when I taught 8-12th. Now that I am just an adjunct prof, many of these could go. Still, I manage to find ways to use games even in my college US and Western Civ history classes. I decided to have students do their exams on line. This freed two classes for mid-terms and two more for finals. So, what I did was substituted something more hands on. In the US history classes I use some of Prof. Sabin's student designed games. One of them on the Normandy campaign just fits two classes well. In Western Civ I I have used a game published by Berserker games on the Anglo-Zulu war and in Western Civ II, Gorbachev by White Dog (got a classroom license from them and I have the college make the copies). The students just love it. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to use ASLSK it would take too long and not meet the objectives I have for the course. So many games, so little time.