Too late to save America?

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
couple of good articles today:

'American democracy is the proverbial frog in the pot of boiling water. Donald Trump and his minions continue to add seasoning to the water while stoking the fire. The frog now knows that something is wrong. But its legs may be too weak to jump out of the pot to safety. Trump and his minions see the frog starting to squirm and struggle. They are reaching for the lid to seal the frog’s doom.
The last few weeks have shown American democracy in the Age of Trump as an ongoing crisis with many apparent crescendos.

Both parties are advancing a gangster-capitalist vision of society in which capitalism and democracy are believed to be the same thing, and where the social safety net is whittled away to give more power and resources to corporations and plutocrats at the literal expense of most Americans. The difference between Democrats and Republicans is not whether they reject neoliberalism, but how much of a social democracy and a humane society they wish to preserve. The Republicans want virtually none. Neoliberal Democrats want to retain a less than robust version of the social safety net as a way of maintaining social order.'

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Republicans have been saying the exact same thing for twenty years. Still, it may be true. They have developed a culture that radically discards truth for propaganda.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They have developed a culture that radically discards truth for propaganda.
Agreed. But they're not alone. Their brand of propaganda may be the more odious, but propaganda is propaganda; some of it light, some heavy.

TV is propaganda.

Last edited:

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I shake my head myself at the nutty things that come from certain conservative quarters: DNC pedophile rings and Vince foster murders, that Obama is an Islamic terrorist, or wasn't born in Kenya, etc. etc.

To the extent we all have the same DNA and are brothers under one skin so to speak, we all have a certain susceptibility to propoganda. Nonetheless, the crazy shit seems to work better on the other side of the political aisle.

Morbii

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I shake my head myself at the nutty things that come from certain conservative quarters: DNC pedophile rings and Vince foster murders, that Obama is an Islamic terrorist, or wasn't born in Kenya, etc. etc.
The pod people... they’ve captured Bill!