Tony Stewart, what are your thoughts?

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So came here expecting to see a discussion but nothing, and I'm surprised. Watched the vids online and been following the story since Sat night. I recall about 4 years ago thinking "damn, boy(Stewart) drives very aggressively and his attitude is crappy, he's going to kill somebody someday". Well that day came Sat night. What a shame and a very sad incident. Thought what the heck happened, trying to give Tony the benefit of the doubt, at first. Now after watching the vids I can't imagine what he thought he was doing. Almost all the cars were passing, after Tony spun Ward out, at the bottom of the track, then here comes Tony, appearing to be steering toward the Ward on foot pointing at Stewart. ???? Now Ward, imo, should not have left his car, but lots of drivers do that. In the vids I saw, it almost appears as if Stewart is purposely directing his car AT Ward. I don't want to think that Stewart was intentionally trying to hit Ward. But it appears as if he wanted to scare him, and screwed up big time.
Now comes the investigation. Will the incident just be swept under the rug as is done with a lot of cases involving people of significant fame and notoriety? I hope not, but as I write no charges have been filed and authorities have stated that Stewart seemed in shock and very remorseful. ESPN coverage at first kept stating that Ward was killed by a Tony Stewart car when the story first hit their network. I wasn't sure for a while if Tony was even driving. Other networks seemed to follow ESPNs lead, minimizing the Stewart involvement at first. If you or I had struck someone with a vehicle resulting in the persons death we certainly would be facing some kind of charge. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. I hope that justice, if it needs to be administered, will not be the second casualty of this sad event.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a NASCAR fan here. You don't play chicken with a 2000 lb vehicle going 80 mph you can't win.
You will never be able to prove intent on Stewart's part, so I think life goes on.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, unfortunately I agree. Like you said, it will be impossible to prove intent. But you don't need to file murder charges. There are plenty of other charges that could be filed without proving Tony' purpose. It is my opinion that Stewarts intent was to scare the young man. Nothing more. But being an open wheel car he just got too close. Ward was caught up in the rear wheel which extends far outside the body, and the front wheel. What I found interesting was that Stewart had to see that the caution, and perhaps red, flag had been displayed, so he wasn't going all that fast. Certainly not fast enough to be unable to avoid Ward. Stewart has displayed on many occasions that he's a hothead, and sometimes acts without thinking things out, and I think that's what took place here. Not a NASCAR fan either, but thus was not a NASCAR event, but an open wheel dirt track race.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I seriously doubt there will be any charges filed unless there is overwhelming proof of a crime, because the prosecutors must be well aware that a defense team would have an absolute field day with the fact that the guy got out of his car in the middle of a race track. Even if Stewart did aggressively nudge his car -- and he may well have -- that type of driving is normal and commonplace during a dirt race. But getting out of your car and walking toward another driver with the clear intent of initiating some kind of confrontation is NOT normal, not to mention extremely ill advised. You do that on the road and they call it road rage, and you can be arrested for it in most states as soon as your foot touches the ground.

Prosecutors might feel Stewart could have and should have been more cautious, but proving he committed a crime will be next to impossible.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, so Ward was impaired by heavy cannabis usage, and intoxicated by such at the time of the accident. Now we know why Ward's behavior was abnormal.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Ah, so Ward was impaired by heavy cannabis usage, and intoxicated by such at the time of the accident. Now we know why Ward's behavior was abnormal.
http://heavy.com/sports/2014/09/kevin-ward-jr-marijuana-impaired-toxicology-death-tony-stewart/

But I thought weed was harmless... :crosseye:

Guess some people have to learn the hard way. The loss of life is tragic. But it's equally tragic that Ward, according to the reports, endangered other drivers by being a pot head and then climbing into a race car.

They have a word for that: dumbass.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy who gets high and then walks down the middle of a race track.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/11582576/tony-stewart-face-charges-death-kevin-ward-jr