Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
In a game I played today, an Italian 45mm mortar had 4 CH over three consecutive fire phases; killed my 8-1, broke two squads, and the rest is too hazy to remember.

Similar to a game I once played where an Italian HMG had a seven shot rate tear, and just obliterated a British infantry company.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soloing BFP -108 Ceramic City. Not going well for the Germans
Turn 2: Sniper takes out 8-0, drops radio
Turn 3: Sniper takes out 8-1,
Turn 4: FFE CH takes out 10-1, a squad and half-squad
Turn 5: FFE CH take out two squads. EDIT: Also killed a full squad prisoner

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Soloing BFP -108 Ceramic City. Not going well for the Germans
Turn 2: Sniper takes out 8-0, drops radio
Turn 3: Sniper takes out 8-1,
Turn 4: FFE CH takes out 10-1, a squad and half-squad
Turn 5: FFE CH take out two squads. EDIT: Also killed a full squad prisoner
View attachment 23559
Your incantations to the Dice Gods is supposed to be in German if it's going to work for your side.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Today I got a new book “The Panzer Killers” about the 3rd Armor Division. Famous maybe not as much as second, but it had a general who liked to lead from the front like he should.

Hoping to get more idea of doctrine for my DYOs.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Can't believe that no one had any "ASL Doings Today" since December 9th...
Hibernation anyone?!

So, I created a VASL file for AP171 Pössl's Posse for a FtF game upcoming week-end. The VASL-file without VC/SSR (VASSAL v3.6.9, VASL v6.6.5) is available for download at the 'ASL Scenario Archive" website if you look under 'User Files' for that one.
Yet, I need to come up with a defensive setup...

Further, I updated the list of "Publications" (i.e. scenarios) owned in the 'ASL Scenario Archive' website. The count is now up to 3550ish, taking in only the "printed originals". I never kept track of the electronic stuff...

To reward myself for the effort, I enjoyed some 'ASL TV' watching some ongoing games on the VASL server.

von Marwitz

King Scott II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spent some time today working on the prizes list for West Coast Melee XXV. Got my spreadsheet updated with some things that came in this week...going to be a ton of happy ASL players next month at the tournament.

I will have a lot of "thank you" emails to send out after the tournament...the greater ASL community has been very generous. :)👍

Semper Fi!
Scott

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Recently clipped and stored my Manila and Korean War counters.
And, not really ASL related per se, but played 4 scenarios from Second Front, the ‘ASL’ computer game that was released a few days ago.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
And, not really ASL related per se, but played 4 scenarios from Second Front, the ‘ASL’ computer game that was released a few days ago.
Give us more, please. Is it of any substance for an ASLer regarding that 'ASL-tag'?

von Marwitz

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Give us more, please. Is it of any substance for an ASLer regarding that 'ASL-tag'?

von Marwitz
Early days yet, for me. I’ve played 4-5 scenarios, turn sequence is slightly modified, but not by much. Is it 100%, no. But it’s about 90%.
ASL players will recognise the close similarities immediately. Weapon breakdown, heat of battle, heroes, routing, rallying, advance fire, ELR reduction, battlefield promotions. Ammo depletion numbers, concealment, assault moving.

of the scenarios I’ve played scenario length is defined by the victory points assigned to buildings. Each completed turn reduces the VP available for the buildings by 10, until they are captured. There are also VP for eliminated enemy units and you lose them for losing your own.

board size is limited to 50x50 hexes and there are only 3 nationalities, for now. US, German and Russian.
OBA and air support to be added in a later module.
no multi location FG, Snipers handled in a similar fashion to the original SL system

is it worth getting?
some may find the the graphics a little cartoonish, I quite like them. It’s a 3D representation of ASL, more so than any other PC game I’ve seen thus far. There is a serious game engine under the bonnet. A 206 page manual instructs new players how to find their way around the interfaces.
you can design your own scenarios, there already a number of scenarios with familiar titles appearing.

for £25 it’s a bit of a bargain, TBH.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Early days yet, for me. I’ve played 4-5 scenarios, turn sequence is slightly modified, but not by much. Is it 100%, no. But it’s about 90%.
ASL players will recognise the close similarities immediately. Weapon breakdown, heat of battle, heroes, routing, rallying, advance fire, ELR reduction, battlefield promotions. Ammo depletion numbers, concealment, assault moving.

of the scenarios I’ve played scenario length is defined by the victory points assigned to buildings. Each completed turn reduces the VP available for the buildings by 10, until they are captured. There are also VP for eliminated enemy units and you lose them for losing your own.

board size is limited to 50x50 hexes and there are only 3 nationalities, for now. US, German and Russian.
OBA and air support to be added in a later module.
no multi location FG, Snipers handled in a similar fashion to the original SL system

is it worth getting?
some may find the the graphics a little cartoonish, I quite like them. It’s a 3D representation of ASL, more so than any other PC game I’ve seen thus far. There is a serious game engine under the bonnet. A 206 page manual instructs new players how to find their way around the interfaces.
you can design your own scenarios, there already a number of scenarios with familiar titles appearing.

for £25 it’s a bit of a bargain, TBH.
I had a short peek into some youtube videos. One stated that the developer would be a "Jo Bader". If that is the case, this is a German ASLer - or at least used to be. I have not seen him for a long time.

von Marwitz

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had a short peek into some youtube videos. One stated that the developer would be a "Jo Bader". If that is the case, this is a German ASLer - or at least used to be. I have not seen him for a long time.

von Marwitz
Yes, SF is Jo Bader's baby. After developing HexDraw, he changed his focus to Second Front.