Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are SO many people I want to reach. I don't wanna blast mail everyone though but still, I do wish you all a very very Happy Holiday. All the very best to you and yours.

I know (hope) you will be too busy with your family to be checking stuff online. All good either way, this is a great time to get reconnected. Drop me a PM if the spirit moves you!

Warm regards,
Jack

🎄🎅🥳🎉🎈🎁🎄

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Started another clipping commission and now going to look up a small scenario to play on VASL tomorrow

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
We made it through the 14th of Sep daytime scenario in VotG IV this afternoon and the end results were a blood both.

Russian losses: 33 x 426, 1 x 226, (some were 527 and 447 before ELR), 3 x 527, 1 x 227, 10 x 628 NKVD, 1 x 10-0, 2 x 9-0, 8-0, 8+1 and 2 x T-34 M41 for total of 115 CVP

German losses: 5 x 447, 1 x 237, 7 x 467, 1 x 247, 1 x 548, 1 x 838, 1 x 8-0, 2 x 7-0, 1 x 228, 2 x StuG IIIG for 48 CVP

The strongpoint at the Rail Station held to the end but most of the survivors were lost as the flames gutted the building and the Escape DRs sucked. Over four sessions my Rally DRs were 7.73, IFT DRs 6.98, MC DRs 7.88, CC DR 6.34 on average. Not too terribly bad but with about 70% of the at start forces being 426 conscripts the end result was predictable.

Time for a nocturnal counterattack.

Perimeter map is below :)

The North:

The Centre

The South:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That VotG CG looks epic. Pavlovs house has fallen!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
That VotG CG looks epic. Pavlovs house has fallen!
The 62nd Army HQ troops never arrived from the south. Comrade Beria has been instructed to interview Comrade General Chuikov and Comrade Commissar Kruschev as to why.

Stalin has ordered the Germans to be expelled from the city. It shall be done.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
So there the boys go into the night counter attack. Two SMG platoons, a Storm platoon with FT, DCs and a 10-3 (rolled a snake eyes to get that guy), two KV-1s in support and a Russian HMG/MMG group manoeuvering into position to cleanout a German MG position holding up the advance to retake 9th of January square..

Prep Fire, Movement and Adv Fire encircle and break the Narzi 8-1 and pin both squads holding their MGs. 628 with FT and 1st Line infantry close fin for the adv.

The FT lets fly ,.... and rolls a 12 <sigh>.

In go the stealthy 1st line SMG guys versus the pinned, Lax Narzis (+1, versus -2 ambush)

Mr 10-3 and two additional 628s 2with DCs and LMG advance to support.

Do I get the ambush?

No.

Go for the HtH combat, he only get 1/2 attack due to pin!!

DR 10 <<WHIFFFFFFF!!>

Wait! What? Are those German grenades?

Da, Comrade! Big ones, too.

<<BOOOMM!!>>

German MG position is now free to shoot Mr 10-3 and his 628 sons of Stalin with 30FP. :eek:🧐

<Sigh> 😖 :rolleyes: 😢

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today I have written something of a knowledgebase thread on how to update old VASL files (at least as far back as v5.9.2 of around 2010) to the current version(s).

I have gone into great detail, but in practice for a normal scenario this should not take longer than 5 to 10 minutes.

The thread can be found here.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today, I have scored a perfect 10 on the stupidity scale...

After tediously having exhausted all of my opponent's fire opportunities, I said to him: "Ok, let's doublecheck if I have overlooked anything..." Checked again for a minute - all was safe. So I moved a stack of 3 squads with 2 LMGs, a 8-1 and a 9-2 leader as a stack into postition for the final an crucial CC in which I needed to take out a single pinned 548.

And of fu* course I have overlooked the single, moreover obvious chance that he still had to fire. Ate a -3 shot, he rolled just perfectly low for a K/2 and of course everybody except for a single squad broke.

Still, I had an assortment of 3 HS and two more leaders and that surviving squad ADJACENT for the CC and a tank in the hex. So my infantry odds were still 12 to 5 in my favor plus the tank.

Since there was a theoretical chance that I could win by another final CC but only had one pinned unit which could not advance in, I thought, well, sometimes strange things happen in ASL. A Sniper might just Battle Harden my Pinned squad and off into CC I go.

Sure enough this worked just perfectly! The enemy sniper was activated with a 1. Direction & distance was rolled and - lo and behold - the target proved to my crucial stack preparing for the last CC. RS broke the surviving squad lowering my odds to 8:5.

Strangely enough, I was not Ambushed despite having a BU vehicle and a CX unit with my guys as the opposing side was Pinned and I had a -1 Leader modifier. Still, CC was sequential. My opponent could not take out my units, so still - after the previous utmost stupidities, which lady luck had so menacingly punished, with a roll of 5 or 3 or a combination of 6 and 4 I could have done him in.

Of course, it did not happen.

This utmost stupidity cost me the game. I shoulda, woulda, coulda even have moved that big stack seperately with two leaders at hand. But as I had made sure - extra sure - that no possibility of fire existed, why should I?

You think this is the end of it?

Nah. Being a German, I not merely know. I know better how to screw this up even more royally...

As I am typing this, it strikes me that there should have been no shot @-3 at all. I had sacrificed a tank which dutifully had turned into a Burning Wreck in the firer's hex. So it should have been a +1 shot. Under which circumstances not a single unit of the big stack would have broken based on the rolls made. And based on the same rolls made, with the guys which should not have been broken after all, I would have done in the 548 in in CC and won the game based on the rolls made...

o_Oo_Oo_O

Gotta love this friggin game...

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My post war counters have arrived. My hoard includes 15x T-54, 11x T-10 and 6x T-54 minerollers (useful for breaching NATOs perimeter). I also have a lot of T-55 and T-62 tanks but they will not feature in the CG because they were produced at a later date. I may include a few T-55 in the CG as prototypes.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My post war counters have arrived. My hoard includes 15x T-54, 11x T-10 and 6x T-54 minerollers (useful for breaching NATOs perimeter). I also have a lot of T-55 and T-62 tanks but they will not feature in the CG because they were produced at a later date. I may include a few T-55 in the CG as prototypes.
Alright,
Now I'm curious.

Who produced these counters and where can the rest of us purchase them?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Alright,
Now I'm curious.

Who produced these counters and where can the rest of us purchase them?
Hi Kevin, they are by CH. They come with the Arab Israeli war modules like Genesis 3, Magach 73 and the Annual #5.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Punching and sorting TPP counters. From CH and BFP.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Counters such as these...British FB with bombs and rockets. You don't get to see many of these in counter form. This is actually a LFT product. LFT Mag #14.

The FB with the rockets is a Hawker Typhoon with 8x 150mm rockets, although the counter itself is generic. These FB played a big role in destroying Panzers in '44 and '45. Will also come in very useful for my post war CG.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good morning, Honza,

Actually, post war studies found that aircraft actually 'killed' very few tanks, although many were damaged. The total kills were just a tiny fraction of those actually claimed by pilots. More importantly, damage and losses were most often inflicted behind the lines while units were moving, not on the tactical battlefield.

In Normandy, for example, what aircraft did do extremely well was destroy the soft skinned vehicles that supplied the panzer units, often leading to the panzers being abandoned for lack of POL, minor damage and/or spares for even minor repairs.

The internet will have a number of articles on this matter.

This article covers the issue as well as air support in general. The Fighter-Bomber in the Normandy Campaign: The Role of 83 Group (core.ac.uk)

Last edited: