Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Not so. My man cave was surrounded by the renovations but it was not touched. The noise and activity all around forced me to abandon my shelter and head for the 1st floor to loiter with no intent.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I came across this new gadget, which was mentioned in a post by Pitman. Interesting new idea. Not sure if I am going for them, but as probably many around here have not heard of those 'stack guards' yet, I thought it a good idea to mention them here:

View attachment 15520

View attachment 15521

von Marwitz
I noted Mark mentioning them, but I thought it was related to storage. Thanks for giving the pictorial view. That is a great idea!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I was contemplating these 'stack guards' a bit:

Pros:
  • They will prevent stacks from toppling.
  • Stacks can be more easily shoved around to allow for LOS-Checks.
Cons:
  • You can't see the contents of the stack. In case of Multilevel-Stacks, you might need good memory.
  • In clogged up terrain, before inspecting stacks and shifting units within, you need to first remove the 'stack guard' before you can manipulate the counters, which is an extra step of 'handling'.
  • Constantly needing to change the 'stack guard' to match the height of the stack will be tiresome.
  • The 'stack guards' are rather thick. This is probalby necessary for technical reasons as they seem to be 3D-printed. But in the normal sized hexes, space will get crammed, especially if 5/8" counters are involved which will often be the case in Multilevel-Buildings.
Proposed Improvements:
  • Obviously, the 'stack guards' seem to be 3D-printed. I don't know if it is possible to 3D-print crystal clear plastic, but this is what would make the 'stack guards' more useful.
  • It would be better if the walls of the 'stack guards' were thinner, provided their stability would be maintained.
I have not checked if something like 'square-pipes' of crystal plastic exist for some purpose which could be sawed into 'stack guards of the appropriate heights. Might be worth a search of the net.

von Marwitz

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Read over Time on Target #2, German marines, while reading new book by John Russell "Theirs The Strife" , the follow up book to his earlier "No Triumphant Procession", the basis for ToT #2.

One of his claims is that Germans did not use Ferdinand/Elefant AFV on Western Front, but this AFV is featured in ToT20 Threat to the Bridgehead. Trying to substantiate his claim but so far have not been able to find any info on the unit in this scenario containing Elefants (PanzerJaeger Abteilung 71).

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Read over Time on Target #2, German marines, while reading new book by John Russell "Theirs The Strife" , the follow up book to his earlier "No Triumphant Procession", the basis for ToT #2.

One of his claims is that Germans did not use Ferdinand/Elefant AFV on Western Front, but this AFV is featured in ToT20 Threat to the Bridgehead. Trying to substantiate his claim but so far have not been able to find any info on the unit in this scenario containing Elefants (PanzerJaeger Abteilung 71).
At least some "Elefants" saw combat at Anzio/ Nettuno, Italy.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
In a game of VotG IV we got through the German third turn and I must admit, the Germans are dismantling the Russian conscript army at a rapid pace. I should note this is the first time I have every played anything from VotG and I know that, historically, the Germans punched right through to the Volga on day one.

The loss rate at the moment is almost 10:1 in squad equivalents along with a Russian 8-0 falling prey to a sniper. The Russian are down 17 x 426 (a couple were 527s) as well as 3 x 527. About four of these squads are prisoners since conscripts are easy to ambush and easy to capture.

German losses are 2 1/2 squads dead and a couple more substituted down to 447s or 237s. A number of broken squads exist but German leadership is more than abundant enough to keep them moving forwards. The rail yard has been penetrated north of the railway station and the Germans are about to break free into the backfield.

About the only bright spot is that the Railway Station is still hanging on but is now partially rubble (Rocket OBA) and "breached" with an 838 on the inside. Both the northern and southern flanks are holding for now but are under pressure.

When the German reinforcements arrive they are gonna clean the map. There could very well be next to nothing left for a night time counterattack.

Russian Turn 3 coming up on Monday.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
In the VotG CG IV the Russians just got to hang on for dear life for half the CG....then later on they get a ton load of more available infantry RG. By which time the Germans are running out of infantry.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Fanatic Strong-Points are where the Russkies finally can make "somewhat" of a stand. Sounds as if you may have misplaced a few forward units though. Trade space with bodies is a time honored practice, especially in this one. Contrary to usual practice of conserving strength, placing scripties in the LOF with good potential shots at the outset is almost necessary (they can't get away anyhow). The casualties are going to be daunting but the NKVD guys help. Face it, you'll feel like you're getting creamed from the get-go; have an iron PMC.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Pushing forward into GT 6 of 14 Sep of VotG IV Monday and today (lots going on so its a bit slow). Red Army losses continue to mount with the better part of 30 squads lost. Railyards near the rail station (and parts of the station it self) are ablaze even though NKVD troopers continue to hold the ruins. Germans have penetrated in the centre to about hex row P and are grinding slowly through hex row L in the north. They are struggling a bit in the south. German losses have reached 7 SE, which is better than 20 to 2.5, I suppose. Two fascist vehicles have been recalled (Sniper and MA disabled).

Question for the experienced VASL Stalingrad CG players out there as I have not done a Stalingrad CG in VASL before.

For sewer movement, would it be easiest to just HIP the lads that pop down into the sewers and then move them on the map?

I am assuming here that this is only viable if HIP unit moving this way cannot be seen in the VASL Control screen.

Example below (not actual units as the troops can't leave their strongpoint).

If the 9-0, 628 and 426 in G39 move via sewer to J38 and then J35, would moving them as HIP units work in VASL (w/o opponent seeing the record)?

Or is there a better way?

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I am sure VASL does not report the movement of a HIP unit in the control window. In a night scenario, my cloak counters have their contents stacked HIP on top of them. Same for my opponent. VASL reports only the cloak counter movement.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Am I missing something? Is there a VotG rule that allows you to move HIP units without placing them on the map?

VASL does not report the movement of HIP units, but you should not be moving HIP units [EXC: Cave Complexes]. (EDIT: as noted above, in certain circumstances, mainly for convenience, you do want to HIP a counter even though it's moving -- Cloaking counters being one, Armor Leaders in an AFV are another.)

For sewer movement in VASL, IIRC the sewer counter itself should conceal the counters under it, but if that's not correct, then obviously you just conceal them the regular way.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I don't disagree. In a FtF game I would use the counter as noted.

I suppose it's more a question of VASL etiquette as I have not yet used sewer movement in a VASL game. I'm fine with using concealment to meet the requirements of B8.41 etc.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well, there is the rules and then there are agreed short cuts,... Bruce.

VASL provides a lovely Cloaking Display for cloaked movement but as kindly posted above by Michael R it is acceptable to HIP the units on the map and move them with the cloak counter. That's not "the rules" but a time saving device agreed to by players. "Etiquette", if you will, accepted in VASL,....

... and if playing by carrier pigeon. ;)

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, there is the rules and then there are agreed short cuts,... Bruce.

VASL provides a lovely Cloaking Display for cloaked movement but as kindly posted above by Michael R it is acceptable to HIP the units on the map and move them with the cloak counter. That's not "the rules" but a time saving device agreed to by players. "Etiquette", if you will, accepted in VASL,....

... and if playing by carrier pigeon. ;)
Quite a wait for a reply though as carrier pigeons have been extinct for 100 years.;)