Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just had a ridiculously tense scenario in my Berlin CG. The climax came on the last player turn when a Russian 628 AE and 7-0 leader moved up to the side of a Jagdpanther with their FT. The 628 was broken by residual, but the 7-0 recovered the FT and managed to eliminate the Jagdpanther in the AdvFPh.

This was followed by the last CC roll of the last player turn when a Russian hero and another 628 AE advanced onto another Jagdpanther for street fighting. The odds were in the Russians favour because they had a squad with SMC for a CCV value of six with a -3 for street fighting ambush, assault engineer and hero DRM. So they needed a 9 to immoblise the beast. They came up trumps and rolled a 2 and generated a 8-0 for their effort.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I have got a very complex Berlin CG on the go. Right about halfway through it now. On CG date 16. It is mind boggling but great fun.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Fired off Lesson 10 to the new class of wanna-be VASL Map Elves. Done coloring the basic board 84, started on the overlays.
Where did you fire it off too? I’d be interested in these tuts.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This week, Chris Mazzei and I finished our final playtest of the 8th and final scenario for the second Death To Fascism Pack, called "Not One Step Back".

This completes nearly two years of design and playtesting work......and feels like a real milestone.

Immense gratitude to our (3) historical advisers, our valiant proofer and our stellar team of Danish Dynamite playtesters....

Launch of the second pack will be at ASLOK in Cleveland later this year.....the stuff should go to the Swiss printer in the coming weeks.....

I think Chris and I both believe we have matched, maybe even surpassed, the quality and variety of the first pack, so we are super pleased.

I hope many of you will get a chance to play some of these new scenarios from end September onwards!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I spent the past 25 years (post military) working for three major engineering firms and over those years you meet some very clever people and learn about some interesting processes.

A colleague also recently retired to small-town Alberta and opened a printing business that also includes a process for printing geological and topographical maps using a cotton fibre-plastic blend that effectively makes a thin "rubberized" map (clientele are the regional county and town governments). I had him do up a test map for me (Singling) and the results were spectacular, if somewhat pricy ( I may limit the maps to CG/HASL versions).

Recently I took in my Prim Bridge and Gaav-Tanam maps to be scanned and then printed. He would allow downloads from the internet but the owner wants to do what he can to protect 'intellectual property rights', so he does his best to ensure ownership of the material. I completely agree with this policy as I wouldn't want my CG or scenarios 'pirated' - preferably at least one person has the article being used.

Anyway,... here are some examples of the awesome maps that can be made. They are thinner than the unmounted boards but almost indestructible. They can be stored flat or rolled and placed in a document tube. When unrolled it takes a few minutes for the ends to lay flat but as I use plexiglass (or even tempered glass) this is not an issue.

Two pics of the end results:

(apologies,.. only noticed some blur on the first when uploaded)

The three maps about two minutes after unrolling.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sent off the twelfh and final Lesson to this class in VASL Mapmaking School. Sending board 84 off to VASL Central for the Various Beasties to add LOS data. I expect it'll take a few days before the LOS-enabled board gets posted to VASL.info.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Took the plunge today and downloaded VASL onto my Surface Pro - maps, extensions, overlays, the whole kit and caboodle. Carl was kind enough to spend about 90 minutes with me walking through the basics but,.... there was waaaaay too much information to absorb in one sitting.

Screen real estate is a bit of a problem but I'll try hooking my tablet up to the big flat screen in the front room with a USB to HDMI cable. This should allow me to shrink the map but still present a better view on the much larger screen.

So,... where is the nearest K-Garten class for VASL?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Changed 'unpunched' status from 'Festung Budapest' to 'partially punched' merely for the 548/447 SS-squads and 238/237 SS-halfsquads after getting - at long last - tired for not having them at hand after having played a scenario featuring both 447SS and 447 squads.

von Marwitz

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also punched those squads recently from Festung Budapest.

Finished most of my reorganization of Raaco using 3-D printed inserts: 4x6 (for guns & vehicles) and 5x7 (for SMCs, crews & support weapons). Used inserts A5, A8 and A3 to store squads & half-squads. Italians are not done yet--are awaiting the Hollow Legions reprint.

Assorter 1: German & Russian
Assorter 2: US & Russian & Partisan
Assorter 3: UK & 2 inserts of Information counters
Assorter 4: Information counters
Assorter 5: French & Allied Minors
Assorter 6: Axis Minors & Hungarians & 4 inserts of information counters
Assorter 7: Japanese, Chinese, Italians, & 2 inserts of information counters
Assorter 8: Korea & Finns

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Put off clipping counters yet again
but I will be playing Pete on VASL this afternoon at least

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Put the new French chapter H pages in my chapter H binder. Put the CdG2 chapter A pages into rules binder #1. Put the Dinant pages into the Historical ASL binder. Put all the old pages in the recycle bin.