Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Been playing my hypothetical Berlin CG set on the RB map. The last Russian player turn went a bit crazy. Both the Russians and the Germans had very efficient fire phases. Subsequently the Russian lost 3.5 squads for failure to rout all because a hex behind them turned into a blaze. They then lost 2.5 squads in CC, but managed to claw back by destroying 1.5 German squads in CC. The Russians also managed a clearance attempt on a minefield hex.

A Russian FT toting squad went Berserk. A German 658 squad went fanatic and created a hero. A Russian 628 NKVD squad created a 9-0 leader in field promotion. A Russian OT-34M43 tank was destroyed by a PF shot which broke and substituted the firing 447 squad. A Russian JSII tank bogged trying to leave a factory.

It is now the start of the German player turn. The 658 which went fanatic and the accompanying hero are almost surrounded by Russians including the Berserk FT toting squad. The 658 possesses a MMG while there is a unpossessed HMG in the same location. The Germans wanted to stand and fight and so the hero tried to pick up the HMG which would give them 36FP vs adjacent hexes, but the hero dropped the MG with a dr of 6. I think they are going to have to get the hell out of there...because 24FP with only one weapon with an ROF of 2 is not enough to save them vs the Russian hoard.

Last edited:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Been playing my hypothetical Berlin CG set on the RB map. The last Russian player turn went a bit crazy. Both the Russians and the Germans had very efficient fire phases. Subsequently the Russian lost 3.5 squads for failure to rout all because a hex behind them turned into a blaze. They then lost 2.5 squads in CC, but managed to claw back by destroying 1.5 German squads in CC. The Russians also managed a clearance attempt on a minefield hex.

A Russian FT toting squad went Berserk. A German 658 squad went fanatic and created a hero. A Russian 628 NKVD squad created a 9-0 leader in field promotion. A Russian OT-34M43 tank was destroyed by a PF shot which broke and substituted the firing 447 squad. A Russian JSII tank bogged trying to leave a factory.

It is now the start of the German player turn. The 658 which went fanatic and the accompanying hero are almost surrounded by Russians including the Berserk FT toting squad. The 658 possesses a MMG while there is a unpossessed HMG in the same location. The Germans wanted to stand and fight and so the hero tried to pick up the HMG which would give them 36FP vs adjacent hexes, but the hero dropped the MG with a dr of 6. I think they are going to have to get the hell out of there...because 24FP with only one weapon with an ROF of 2 is not enough to save them vs the Russian hoard.

View attachment 13127

View attachment 13128
You could name it: The battle for Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse...Into the heart of darkness© (Scenario title copyright by M.Koch :LOL:)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Finished clipping all the 3rd Republic and Vichy Infantry, SW and Guns. Not sure yet what to do with the FFL infantry but the Khaki guns are in the trays. Vehicles are next, 3rd Rep, Khaki and US colour (v.1 an v.2, of course)

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Cleaned my game room - which is also my bedroom. Removed the CG and all the associated pieces and then put it all back once it was cleaned. Therapy!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Set up is proceeding on the Berlin CG. It is the 15th CG date. There has been four Idle days and so I have played 10 scenarios and just starting the 11th. This CG has been going for years now. I think I started in 2016. Recently I just changed the entire German OOB from black counters to blue. It is no longer Black Barricades but rather Blue Barricades. It is still involving me. Otherwise I would pack it up and move to another project.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Pete Philips has just talked me through loading up VASL !
I wonder what took you so long to succumb.

But now we need a new extension to VASL - a counter clipping tool that simulates various clipping-tools for VASL counters (inclusive of the abject nail clipper, but also of course, more distinguished kit as the Deluxe counter clippers in the 1mm, 1.5mm, and 2mm variant.

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I wonder what took you so long to succumb.

But now we need a new extension to VASL - a counter clipping tool that simulates various clipping-tools for VASL counters (inclusive of the abject nail clipper, but also of course, more distinguished kit as the Deluxe counter clippers in the 1mm, 1.5mm, and 2mm variant.

von Marwitz
No just rounded off counter corners , oh and drag ASL into a new age with coloured figures on the counter

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No just rounded off counter corners , oh and drag ASL into a new age with coloured figures on the counter
Some third party counters are available for VASL in color, for example for Kampfgruppe Scheerer by LFT. Nothing prevents you to use these in other scenarios provided your opponent has installed that extension as well.

von Marwitz

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The UPS driver just dropped off my "GI's Dozen" and "Nor'easter Tourney" scenario packs... I had them color printed on 67 lb stock at Staples and then delivered. Much nicer result than printing on my little color ink jet.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Some third party counters are available for VASL in color, for example for Kampfgruppe Scheerer by LFT. Nothing prevents you to use these in other scenarios provided your opponent has installed that extension as well.

von Marwitz
This comment was a tongue in cheek type of thing , nothing serious , just like the one about where the clipping window was.......?

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Proofreading a SK scenario design from David Cheever.
Setting up my Across The Roer homemade mini-CG (similar to Nuremberg one from the Journal.)

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Erik Lindblad and I were comparing CASLO experiences from last weekend. Erik tells me about his Belgian Tigers game and mentions his Belgian 75mm AA gun. I also played Belgian Tigers as the Belgians. I said "WHAT 75mm AA GUN?". Yep, I played the scenario without that key asset. Yes, I lost.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My ASL doings today? Enduring...

There is that devil of an enemy 9-2 leader with that HMG. In 8 phases he contrieved to get ROF 6 times, 5 times of which twice or more. Included in that were 3x Snakes. He even managed to take out my single HMG by Random SW destruction.

So far: "Issue in doubt..." [cough, cough]

von Marwitz

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I just took a 6+2 shot at a 9-2 with a 348 with HMG and a broken 348 with MMG. I rolled a 3 on the IFT and the 9-2 obliged me by rolling a 12 on the MC (he survived but broken and wounded). The broken 348/MMG died while the other 348 with HMG was pinned. This little stack was the main obstacle to the Russian advance.

In another part of the map I took a flat 12FP shot vs a 9-1, 548, 658 and 838 combined with 2 LMGs. I rolled snakes. All that is left is a broken 9-1 and broken 548 with LMG.

The Germans have had their own share of luck. Two Jagdpanthers and a shreck have eliminated 2x T34/85 and a JSII and JSIIM. All four are burning.