Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've go this one lined up for Saturday morning. I'm going to get my teeth kicked in by my opponent, but still very much looking forward to giving this a go. Which side will you be playing (I've got the ROK)?
I’m the Chinese. Looks tough on them. I think the key as the ROK is not to put the HMG up high in the town and start firing right away. This forces the Chinese to use IPM, because they can’t see the VC building. With only 6 turns I’m not sure the Chinese can get there in time and take the building, unless the ROK gives them freedom to move.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m the Chinese. Looks tough on them. I think the key as the ROK is not to put the HMG up high in the town and start firing right away. This forces the Chinese to use IPM, because they can’t see the VC building. With only 6 turns I’m not sure the Chinese can get there in time and take the building, unless the ROK gives them freedom to move.
Never mind. The rule says Khown enemy unit within 4 hexes.

The Chinese must use their first movement from offboard very carefully, so they get LOS to that Steeple on the VC Building.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I lost as the ROK (my opponent is a much better player). In hindsight, it probably is tougher on the Chinese than the ROK (as our game came down to the final turn). How did your game go?

I think that it's a fun and dynamic scenario, with both sides pushing - the ROK to get off the hill and into the town and the Red Hoard trying to swamp the ROK defenders before they can get set. I'm really grateful to Rally Point for supporting FW with some fun scenarios that showcase what makes Korea distinctive. Chapeau!

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was reading the Chapter H notes on the US vehicles, wondering where the footnotes were after reading through a vehicle. Realized I hadn't updated the new pages from the Yanks 2nd edition!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I know the colours on my map looked bleached compared to the DTW map. I am using pencils instead of paint. I hope once it is finished and scanned someone will make a digital copy which will be clearer and richer.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What happens in the end if you discover that the distance between the two original maps does not correspond to an integer number of hexes? Is all this effort ruined?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What happens in the end if you discover that the distance between the two original maps does not correspond to an integer number of hexes? Is all this effort ruined?
Fudge it, I expect. There's gotta be a certain amount of that translating any real map to ASL hexes.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Fudge it, I expect. There's gotta be a certain amount of that translating any real map to ASL hexes.
When Red Barricades was released the Soviets (this was back when there were Soviets) lodged a complaint against it, claiming that maps of such accuracy could only be useful for targeting ICBMs.

JR

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Both RB and RO are 45 hexes each. DTW is 40 and my map is 35. However the photos show that DTW and the brickworks cover a longer distance than RB and RO. Go figure.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
IOW in ASL map talk - RB and RO have been elongated and DTW and the brick works have been compressed.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
IOW in ASL map talk - RB and RO have been elongated and DTW and the brick works have been compressed.
Well then, I guess DTW etc MUST be re-done at the appropriate, canonical, sacred and sacrosanct scale as RB/RO.

So has MMP drawn, so let it be done.

;)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Well then, I guess DTW etc MUST be re-done at the appropriate, canonical, sacred and sacrosanct scale as RB/RO.

So has MMP drawn, so let it be done.

;)
It would be nice but it will never happen. We will have to content ourselves with CH map of DTW (which was created by Don Petros I believe) and my brickworks. The scale is slightly off but it is workable.

Last edited:

Blofeld

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thursday evening. Preparing "Semper Paratus" and "Freeing the Roadway" for the weekend to play. And, after finishing "Helmet For My Pillow", I'm starting to read the first volume of the Hornblower novels. :)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm starting to read the first volume of the Hornblower novels.
Nice! If you like this type of novels, then I can strongly recommend the Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien the first book of which is "Master and Commander". They have a fine sense of humor and I liked these even better than Hornblower.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Blofeld

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Nice! If you like this type of novels, then I can strongly recommend the Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien the first of which is "Master and Commander". They have a fine sense of humor and I liked these even better than Hornblower.

von Marwitz
We will see, if I like them.:D
Usually , when the godfather of my son is visiting us, on the first evening we're getting some drinks and watch some of the Hornblower TV series.
He recommended the books to me, so I give them a try. The Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin series is noted, and if I like the Age of Sail setting,
I'll take a look. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'm itching to complete the map but the last few days have been really unsettled. My energy levels have been fluctuating and there has also been the distraction of the General Election. Can't really blame it on that; but it does add to the chaos.